The Road Less Travelled

Hello Lynn, it's been a while, so it's fab to see you doing so well still!
You look fabulous in that picture, what a difference from a year ago!
Still loving your kindle? Having it makes room for the food processors ;)
It's great that you're starting to feel settled in your weight; I think that every former-fatty will retain the fear of getting fat again, but it's not like you've gone on a mental crash diet, you just make sensible choices, and that's definitely something that you can maintain forever :)
Hope that everything stays stable with you being off of the byetta.

Have a fab holiday!

Hi Lynn,

I am sure that everyone who has lost a lot of weight will always worry about regaining it. I have tried Exante, but I have a few friends who really like it. I may give it a try when I am at goal and maintaining.

I hope you have a wonderful week.

Mel

Meal replacement sachets are wonderful for maintaining and I can see me doing them ongoing. I actually enjoy them anyway, especially exante as they are creamy and mild tasting and not overly sweet either. I think they are probably the cheapest too. And I have them because I really like them not because I'm trying to lose weight, well, I suppose that honestly I am trying to lose weight but I don't actually need to. How wonderful is that lol, dieting to amuse myself. But only because holiday is on the horizon.

I'm starting to feel a bit more relaxed about my weight now. I'm not so frantic about it anymore. I won't be taking my scales on holiday now for instance and I'm learning to trust how my clothes feel.

I'm always scared I will put on weight of course and I guess I hope that feeling doesn't go away. I will always need to stay on my guard, just because I'm thin today won't stop me getting fat tomorrow. I will always be a fat person whether it's in a thin body or a fat one, but that's a lesson I had never learned before, and now I have!
Hello Lynn ive found you again.. its great for me to read that you are doing so well at maintaining your weight so well... and that you are feeling more relaxed to.!
x

Hi Lynn,

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Mel

Hi Mel and Shanny!

Im doing good thanks, just hacked off with the weather right now. At least the rain has held off mostly today so hubby and I went to Chievely Manor for national gardens week, to take some photos. It was blowy though, so my pics of the flowers there havnt done as well as I would have hoped. I did get some nice close ups of bees on lavender that came out well.

Im having an exante weekend and hubby is not best pleased. He really does not like me having meal replacements, as he doesnt see them as real food and is now accusing me of being anorexic lol.

Im getting very agitated about my holiday, I cant seem to settle to do anything at the minute. All I can think of is getting away, its only 12 days now so will be here soon enough, but im just longing to get going. This awful weather isnt helping though, if I could just sit out in the sun for a bit I would feel better. I think I have SAD syndrome and its June! not January!

Summer solstice soon, I used to go to Stonehenge at summer solstice being something of an old hippy. Its a great atmosphere there. Would get there about 10pm and just wander round the carpark watching all the sights. Fire dancers in particular. I never felt threatened there even though I would go on my own, the only trouble makers were the police who just wander round in groups trying to stir up trouble so that they can arrest people. Very sad but true.

Then just before sunrise everyone makes their way to the stones, following the Druids who do their 'thing'. The air just vibrates with all the drummers, its amazing. You get great food there too, all vegetarian. The best burger ive ever eaten was at Stonehenge, some kind of burger thing made with chickpeas and spices, and the Buddhists set up a free food tent too. They are a colorful lot in themselves with their bright orange kaftans and shaven heads. Maybe Ill do it again one year, but im not so good at staying awake all night now lol.

We have been going to a pub quiz on Tuesday with some friends. Ive amazed myself with the useless stuff I know that I didnt know I know, if you see what I mean. For instance, 1 of this weeks questions was the title of a 1920's film about vampires. I immediately knew it was Nosferatu, Ive never seen the film, and ive no idea where that bit of info came from, but i had the right answer lol. Our brains are strange things. I also knew that the last series of Men Behaving Badly was 1998. How did I know that? No idea, it wasnt even something I would watch.

LOL Lynn --

Isn't that how it is? Our heads are packed full of useless cr^p, but when we want to remember something really important, we know it is in our head somewhere but can't find it amoungst all the clutter. I wish I had a Pensieve like Dumbledore. ;)

12 days! That'll come fast. Lack of light, is lack of light -- I have used my SAD light a lot than I expected this spring.

Mel

Now its only 6 days away!

My sister Louise rang me with an interesting proposition this week. Ive talked to her in the past about either giving up work or taking a few months unpaid leave, to get the feel for 'giving up work'. She really wants me to go live in Spain to help her with her business of managing holiday lets, also she has a 3 year old and needs help with Isabel during the main summer months. So she has offered us 3 months free accomodation, all bills paid, and will pay me as well, to go out there next summer to look after Isabel and do her paperwork.

It sounds like a great idea, so I might be going to live in Spain next summer from June for 3 months. Hubby is getting well into web site developing now since he has retired, and Louise tells me that there is a high demand for english speaking web developers in Spain, so it could be a good opportunity for him as well.

Anyway, Ill think it over for the next few weeks and talk to my manager about taking the time off when I get back from holiday.

Weight is keeping down, im still around the 10.2 to 10.3 mark, so far so good. At least my holiday clothes still all fit, and a bit loose at the moment. I think I might follow more of an Atkins style diet on holiday, and see how that works out. Im low carbing anyway but keep a strict eye on calorie count as I do eat a bit of carb at around 80g to 100g a day, so if I cut out the carb more and increased all the other goodies you can enjoy on Atkins, it might make holiday eating out easier. I can never quite believe that full blown Atkins wont make you pile on the lbs, but it obviously works for the many people that are on it and enjoying lots of food.

Roll on next friday!

Hi Lynn,

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to test out whether or not this something/somewhere you'd like to move to once you do retire. And, you'd be helping you sister... so it's a win/win.

Have you made a decision on selling the house? I know you were hesitating because of your son living with you?

Mel

Very undecided about the house Mel, but at least we are finally mortgage free! which is a great feeling :)

Had a lovely day yesterday, went to my friends house for her birthday for the day and sat in the garden until 10.30pm last night. We had a BBQ and I probably are too much food! but it was a great day. I had had plans to start getting organised yesterday but that went out the window. Got home last night to no internet connection. It does occasionally go offline and just needs the router rebooting, but nothing we tried could get us back online. Went to bed to watch some TV to discover that our Sky had been cut off! (unrelated to the internet as we are with AO Hell), anyway a quick call fixed it. Hubby changed bank accounts a week ago, and it appears that 2 of our direct debits have fallen into a black hole. Just as well we found out now before we shoot off for a month.

Still no internet this morning and I went off to work feeling very stressed about it. I had no idea how much I rely on it now lol, least of all because I had to get online to print off our flight tickets, and all sorts of other holiday related stuff. Bought a new router and that has done the trick, as you can see lol. Our connection seems much faster too, so I dont feel so bad now about having to spend £80 on it.

I had an on off day at work, the guy i was meeting had gone sick so I couldnt do all I had hoped too, but hopefully have enough info to get my report written and submitted by Wednesday. Tommorow im in the office for some training on legal documents and hopefully that should finish by lunchtime, then its home!! Wednesday I just have to finish writing my report which i can do at home, get expenses submitted then switch off my work laptop for a whole month! Bliss.

I downloaded a fascinating book from Amazon. I wanted something totally absorbing to read on the plane and I think Ive found it in Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test (he wrote Men Who Stare at Goats). This is a book about a real event, It starts off with an investigation into a mysterious book sent to numerous professors in 2008 and leads into the mind of the Psychopath, particularly those who are running large companies and governments lol. So should be a good absorbing read to while away a few hours.

So... its Monday evening, just considering what to have for dinner, the choice is Exante or turkey breast and salad. I think the salad wins lol.

Morning Lynn,

get expenses submitted then switch off my work laptop for a whole month! Bliss.

I had no idea you were taking so much time off... how wonderful.

I guess the house can wait until you decide where it is you want to "retire".

I read Men Who Stare At Goats and found it very interesting. The US Govt does some strange things. This other book sounds interesting. I'll have to do a "see inside".

It sounds like you a making up for any weekend indulgence with the salad for dinner, no wonder you have done so well maintaining.

I hope re: work things lighten up. And I am glad you got the TV and Broadband sorted before heading out.

Mel

Its been a week of things going wrong this week. First the router packed up so no internet on Sunday, then we went to bed to watch TV only to find our Sky had been cut off, but also discovered 2 direct debits had dropped into a black hole after hubby had changed bank accounts. Got those sorted, Monday had a puncture, so that was an hour or more at kwik(slow)fit. Today the boiler packed up!

There is a story to my boiler. We have lived in this house since it was new, about 23 years now I think, so in all honesty the boiler has outlived itself. But the damn thing has been a nightmare since the word go, noisy, unreliable and we get hot radiators upstairs when the water in on, summer or winter , whether its freezing or baking, what a joy. Over the years we have had numerous people look at it, including British Gas, and no one has ever really got to the bottom of the constant problems.

3 and half years ago it packed up, and we were prepared to just throw in the towel and go for a new central heating system, we had had enough of it. But in the meantime we needed heat and hot water given that it was December. BUT trying to actually get a plumbing/heating engineer is a nightmare in itself. There are plenty of them, most are crooks and I think we have seen most of them at one time or other. But when the boiler wont work, you are at their mercy. So, 3 and half years ago, sick of the inefficiencies of British Gas and the local crooks, I decided to try one more time and did a search on local plumbers. Phoned about 10, all too busy to come out, then came across Mr Fixit from Thatcham. Now, I have to admit I had my serious doubts about anyone who calls themselves Mr Fixit, but I was desperate. I rang, explained the problem and he told me that it was his paperwork day of which he had much to get through, but he would come to my rescue. I was ecstatic, I was nervous. How much was he going to charge just to walk through my door, and then invent every thing possible wrong that was going to cost 100's if not worse.

He turned up about an hour later,opened up the boiler, found the problem straight away and fixed it, just like that. It didnt solve all the problems though, he waited to see if it would stay alight and then the banging from the pipes and tank upstairs started. I was so used to it I hardly noticed, but he said Thats not right, let me see if i can sort that. So the next half an hour or so was spent with him on his knees in my airing tank messing around with a valve. Well I can put it right for now he said, but it will come back. He then showed me how to stop it making the banging noise myself (which involves a screwdriver and a rolling pin, weird but true). I then asked him about the cost of replacing the system, and his response really surprised me. He said that we should stick with it until it really died, would probably get another 2 or 3 years out of it and why spend money now when we didnt need to. I was gobsmacked, and even more so when i asked how much I owed him and he said, I didnt really have to do very much so just give me some petrol money for getting here. I think I gave him £30 and was very grateful for it. He then explained to me what options we had for replacing the boiler when we decided to do it, he also told me a lot about his background and how he has worked with various boiler manufacturers designing efficient systems, I was impressed!

So since then I have been able keep the noise under control by twisting the valve a quarter turn with a screwdriver whilst tapping the top of the valve with a rolling pin. High tech stuff lol.

So this morning, 3 and half years after his visit, and pretty much true to his predction, the boiler packed up. I called him, he returned my call within 30 minutes, remembered who I was and was here this afternoon. Once again he did the magic trick with the boiler within minutes, and then offered to set my dishwasher up that was delivered this morning and still in its packing, and this time he wouldnt take more than £20 off me. I love this man!

So, the upshot is that it really is time to get the heating replaced, and he will do it while we are away. No idea what the cost is going to be, it wont be cheap for sure, but im sure we wont get ripped off either, he will give me his quote tomorrow morning and hopefully get started on it next week.

Fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong this week!

Ohh yes, the other thing, I have clean cups! How wonderful!

I bought a dishwasher 2 years ago, when the old one packed up, so I went to the local electronics store and bought the cheapest one they had, a Beko. Had never heard of them before, but it was pretty cheap £179 I seem to remember, and all it had to do was wash the dishes. Damn thing never worked properly from the day I had it. Have had them out several times, but it just wont clean cups. Everything else if fine, plates cuttlery saucepans, all clean and shiny, but cups and mugs? not a bit of it. They come out looking just like they did when they went in. So I have to wash them up before I can put them in the dishwasher (why do i not just dry them and put them away? I tried, but couldnt do it, I had to put them in the dishwasher, it just didnt feel right otherwise). Its 2 year guarantee is up ( for all the good that did me), and the last straw was when hubby put the dishwasher on last week and I unloaded 9 dirty mugs. It had to go! So bought myself a decent one this time by Siemens, and the nice Mr Fixit plumbed it in. It has a timer on it telling me how long before it finishes the cycle which is a nice touch, but even better all my cups came out clean and sparkling! Im so happy!

... So this morning, 3 and half years after his visit, and pretty much true to his predction, the boiler packed up. I called him, he returned my call within 30 minutes, remembered who I was and was here this afternoon. Once again he did the magic trick with the boiler within minutes, and then offered to set my dishwasher up that was delivered this morning and still in its packing, and this time he wouldnt take more than £20 off me. I love this man!

So, the upshot is that it really is time to get the heating replaced, and he will do it while we are away. No idea what the cost is going to be, it wont be cheap for sure, but im sure we wont get ripped off either, he will give me his quote tomorrow morning and hopefully get started on it next week.

Fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong this week!

Gosh Lynn --

It sounds to be like you have experienced a miracle! Boilers come and go -- and it over 20 years old... but honest, reliable, prompt, kind, etc. repairmen are few and far between!

A dishwasher is one appliance I really do not like to do without... I am glad you got a better one. Mine isn't so great (it won't move with) and I keep hoping it'll die altogether so I can get a better one.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Mel

Well I'm here finally in Tenerife!! And have been in agony for 3 days with trapped nerve in my leg. Fortunately the chemists here are not adverse to handing over powerful painkillers thank god. The worst of it is that I'm not getting much sleep withit but I'm hopeful with each passing day it will subside and go away. I'm very tempted to find an acupuncturist if it doesn't, the Spanish are big on alternative medicine so I should be able to find one. Other than that it's HOT here, fabulous sunshine. Trying not to eat too much, but I'm a bit off food anyway at the moment. I didn't bring my scales in the end, but snuck across to the reception today and got weighed on their luggage scales, was 66kg so that's pretty much 10.5, not too bad really, just hope I don't go any higher.

Really sorry to hear about the leg. Hope its better soon.

Had a wee chuckle picturing you on the luggage scales lol

Have a fabulous time :)

My leg is finally behaving itself, feels much better now and havnt had to resort to the painkillers for 2 days now. Walking definately helps it too, and we have been doing quite a bit of that, walking from one bar to the next lol!

Have discovered a little place called El Medano, about 4 or 5 miles from where we are staying. I have driven through it in the past but never taken a closer look. It is just the most perfect place, beautiful beaches, lovely little spanish town arranged around the beaches, really good value for food and drink and very few tourists. We went into Medano for dinner last night. I shared a garlic bread with cheease with hubby and then had Sea Bream grilled with garlic oil and a portion of the canarian potatoes 'papas arrugadas'. If you have never tried them, they are like little new potatoes, but very dense flesh. They are cooked in water with enough salt in it to make them float, then dried in the drained pan over heat. The result is a fine coating of salt on skins which make the potatoes wrinkle a bit. They are served with the local spicy paprika sauce called Mojo Picon. Absolutely delicious, and the Bream was heavenly too. Then we made our way to one of the creperies for dessert!, we shared a large pancake filled with bananas, cream chocolate sauce and a sprinkle of condensada (condensed milk), so gorgeous. We ended up in Bar Timon, which is a little old bar overlooking the sea, drinks there are pretty cheap, about £2 for a coffee and a beer.
Far too much food lol, but its the first time ive really indulged in a meal this week, and i so enjoyed it. Now I must creep over to reception and get on the luggage scales again lol, wish me luck haha

Finally got round to finding some time to catch up here!

We got back late Friday night and I spent the weekend feeling miserable and shattered. In fact I still havnt unpacked the suitcases, but its so damn cold today who needs summer clothes anyway! Our plumber is still in residence, working on my bathroom. Its looking wonderful, but has been a lot of work for him, I dont think he will get it finished before Monday though as he is having issues with getting tile adhesive to dry out fully.

Tenerife was wonderful, and I cant wait to get back there. We have changed our plans for next year. If I am going to spend 3 months away from home I want it to be in Tenerife. My sister Louise is going to make other plans lol.

So next year we want to spend 3 months there and have been looking into long term lets, and then maybe make a semi permanent move out in a couple of years time. Ive started to put plans into place now to let rooms out in our house to fund the eventual 'Big Adventure'.

Weight wise? I was 11st exactly on Saturday morning and 10.7 exactly this morning, pretty good going for a few days although judging by the number of times I have to get up for the loo in the night its hardly surprising ive lost so much. Now im just about 4lbs heavier than I was when we arrived in Tenerife, and thankfully I can still get into all my clothes! although my levis were having none of it on Saturday but have now been tamed into submission today :)

Im back on Exante twice a day and whatever I feel like for dinner. Seems to work anyway.

Hello Lynn nice to read that you had fun and enjoyed Tenerife :)

wow to your weightloss you have done so well, and Im sure the next few days you will be back at target weight.

so your just having 2 exantes and a main meal, are you going to count calories for your meal?
x

Hi Shanny!
I dont really count calories, because it just encourages me to eat more if i think I have 'spare' calories left lol. I can pretty much judge what im eating, I know that 2 exantes are 400, so I roughly allow another 400 or so for dinner, with a few cups of coffee thrown in pretty much sort me out for the day. If I started counting calories, I would just snack on stuff for the sake of it if i thought I had spare calories to play with.

To be honest though, im not really dieting anymore, just trying to keep my weight down as much as possible although im keen to shift the other 4lb im left with post holiday. We are eating out this weekend a couple times, but I still hope to shift the 4lb by end of Aug.

Lynn, thank you! So far, I've only read the first and last pages of this diary, but it all rings so true for me...

I've lost most of the weight I wanted to, but have 2-3 kilos to go to make me feel that I'm *there*. I want to be confidently at that weight so that I have a couple of kilos to play around with... My weight seems to vary by 1-2 kilos a day???!

Anyway, nearly there, yay!

I don't know about Exante, I'm more Slimming World/Calorie Counting, but whatever works eh?! Well done on getting where you are, and please keep sharing about your maintenance because it really helps people! (Ideally I don't like snacking either just to keep my calories up...,doesn't always work though)

Thank you:D

Back