The ups and downs of the scales

L.M.O.

Thought it was about time I introduced myself. This is my story.
I've always been on the large side but ballooned around 12 years ago (put on five stone) as I had some health issues. I managed to get rid of around two stone of that for good. Another two stone went for my wedding three years ago - but a stone and a half of that came back!!
I have an underactive thyroid - makes weight loss tough! But they finally got the med levels right and I decided it was time to loose the pounds.
I started pro points (at home, alone) in the middle of May and, despite having a few very bad days I was ten pounds down. I was on a loosing streak until Thursday afternoon. Was supposed to be going out in the evening with two friends but one had to pull out. The other friend and I went for coffee and cake instead and it was all down hill from there. I just haven't stopped eating since. According to the scales I'm up five pounds!!!!
I've got my head back in the game now and making a fresh start. I'm trying to figure out what happened. I think it was to do with four things
1. I'm exhausted and not sleeping well
2.work stress -big time (don't get me started)
3. Totm has come round again
4. One if my main goals was to look good in a dress I wanted to wear to an event next Sunday - and despite losing the ten pounds I still look pregnant in it. Absolutely nothing in the shops so I'm back to plan b. I do have a lovely dress to wear - but I've worn it before and I wanted something new. Such a disappointment after all the hard work.

So, the plan is to get some early nights in, stick to the eating plan, hope that some of the gain will be due totm, rant about how horrible clothes shopping is and hope some of my minimins mates will kick my butt/sympathise/support as needed!

Thanks for reading!

hi LMO, dont be down on yourself. Congrats on the 10lbs. Im sure that 5lb gain cannot be a true reflection of your slip and is probably mostly water retention. Well done for climbing back on the wagon, Ive only just managed to do the same after a bad couple of weeks! xxxx

Hi
We all have our bad days so dont be down on yourself. I know that when im tired i'd eat anything bad instead of healthy. You already proved that you can lose the weight so just try youre best to stick to the points and im sure you'll be grand. Good luck :)

Thanks unabel and Karen. Bad days are just so frustrating!
So far today has been a good day food wise - and the fridge is stocked with good healthy food. I think I may be back on the diet wagon.
I very much hope that there is a lot of water retention going on but I fear some may be due to the entire triple chocolate cheesecake I polished of.... (hangs head in shame)

So it was hard, but I stuck to the plan today. Total points used 29/29. No sign of any cheesecake -Not even a sneaky bit!

Hoping that some of the retained water goes before weigh in tomorrow.....

What I really want at the moment is chocolate - but sensibly made the OH hide it.....

its such a relief having a good day after some bads ones! we can do this! Hope weigh-in goes well xxx

Well done on your good day today and turning things around. It proves you can do this. whatever the scales say just keep on going . never give up after a slip-up (or say i've blown it now might as well eat everything!!) just get back on track the next morning and start again. This has to become a way of life but we all need our treats now and again. ;)

Thanks.
So far today is going well. Very busy at work which helps.
Some of the water retention has gone so scales are a bit better. Am going to switch weigh in to tomorrow for this week to see if I can shift the scales down another pound.

Will get there!

Well done for today :)

Well done on your good day :D. I have a thyroid problem too(Hypo) and am only starting to try to regulate my med. It has helped already though. I find PP great so far . It can be done !!!! Keep it going :D

Thanks for all the support guys.
Yesterday was another good day. Well within my dailies.
Did my weigh in this morning - all the extra pounds have gone! So rather pleased to end up with a STS.
Next weigh in on Monday. Hoping to stick with it and be down at least a pound.

Thyroid medication is hard to get right. It's taken me a few years and a change of Dr to get things to a point where I feel I have my life back. If you don't feel right keep nagging the Dr. You know your body better than they do. Hope you get your levels right and settled soon.

Guess what - I got so excited by the STS I weighed myself again and this time the scales showed a pound loss!!!!! No idea how accurate that weight us but, hell, the scales showed it and I'm sticking with that LOL!!!!
Absolutely delighted!!!!!

Hi,
Though I should fill you guys in on how I've been doing.
Work stress and two week long holidays took me off plan for a month!! I've been struggling to get back on plan ever since and am getting there.
The bad news is I gained weight. In fact * gulp* weigh in last Monday had me at a pound heavier than I was when I started PP!!!! 13 pounds on!!!!
On the up side this morning's weigh in showed four pounds off - and that was being very relaxed about tracking.
I'm hoping that I can really get my head back into it this week. Work has calmed down a bit which will help and I'll have time to get whipping up some good stuff in the kitchen.
Today is going to be a gentle day and I plan to have a slice of chocolate cake from my fav cake shop as a post weigh-in treat and to finish up the weeklies. Am going to mull over healthy lunches and dinners and hit the kitchen tonight.
Wish me luck guys....

Thank you!
Yesterday I managed to stick to what I'd planned - more or less. Dinner ran late and I ended up with a handful of doritos and four chocs after dinner. It's the closest I've been to on track for a while, so quite pleased.
So far today is ok ish - I polished of the last bit of the apple cake but did attempt to point it - which is more like it. I'm just starving today - trying to avoid the temptation of Sainsbury's over the road. Reaching for and apple instead....

Managed to stick to a tea when my colleague took my to the posh new fish and chip restaurant by the office. :)
Couldn't resist the polish cheesecake. :-( small piece, but was delish!
Bit over what I planned for dinner and polished off the last of the chocolate that was hanging around.
Overall, not a disaster. Used a good few weeklies, but that's what they're there for.
More positively I have tomorrow planned out already and hunger should be firmly at bay. Will see how it goes. Also on the plus side I found a half calorie sugar - so can have more tea. Can't do tea with no sugar.
Got to get my mind back in the game.
To help I'm setting a goal. Two pounds off by Monday.

Yesterday was ok. Stuck to what I'd planned pretty much. Had a couple of biscuits that I hadn't planned . What happens if you work until 10pm! Still covered by weeklies though.

So far today it's the same story. Working late again tonight so shall have to be very firm with myself.
Currently trying to avoid the temptation of the stunning cake shop up the road.
Which do I want more, the cake or to hit my two pound target for Monday....

Well, Thursday turned out ok. Only a point or so over my daily allowance. Friday was fine until about five at which point it all went to pot and so it has continued. I am blaming totm. I have big issues with totm and this month has proved very bad. Almost passed out and only recovered when i had a sugar boost. Makes sticking to plan impossibe. On the plus side I hit my two pound target onThursday. I'm hoping that the damage hasn't been that bad and that tomorrow I feel a bit more myself and that I manage to stick to plan. Two pounds off on Monday weigh in is still not impossible!!!

Hi LMO . you sound like a sugar addict like myself. Chocolate is my worst trigger. When I have it I just have to have more more more !!!. I think you will have to spread out your meals a little bit more to prevent having a sugar slump . I try to have something to eat every 3.5-4hrs . I would prefer to have something healthy and savoury and go over points than reaching for the sugar and taking off for a binge. I would have some wholemeal bread and a boiled egg or beans on wholemeal toast or salad and babybel light cheese or fruit and yogurt. My latest trick if I see a cake or sweets i like is to imagine them covered in something yeucky and that soon puts me off !!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply. I have days when I crave chocolate cakes, biscuits and all things sweet. Other days I am good as gold.
I tend to have tomatos on wholegrain bread for brekie, apple mid morning, lunch ( soup and bread, left over healthy dinner, type stuff) a banana mid afternoon and a decent, filling dinner, so I'm not to bad at the spacing.
I eat quite late so need to find a healthy snack to keep me going. It seems to be the point at which my good intentions go to pot.

It's been tough going the last week or two. I think it may be getting used to smaller portion sizes again. Am in a lot of pain with totm and totally washed out. No way i could stick to points today. Impressed myself though as i managed not to go mad. Ate more than i should have done but not going to beat myself up over a slice of bread, a tiny bit of cheese and a bar of chocie. Much better than i would have been previously! OH has made a healthy beef stew with lots of veg for dinner tonight. Looking forward to that. Just going to keep on trying. I'll get there in the end. Oddly enough beginning to crave healthy stuff.

Early night tonight and I'll be ready for a fresh start Monday.
Need to think about what my goal for next week and my reward might be.

Back