The Whole Chicken...

Missjlouise

Silver Member
I don't usually cook whole chickens but I am about to try it tonight!

Would be nice to make a few different meals and not waste any good chicken...any ideas?

We usually have traditional roast chicken dinner with trimmings the first day, chicken curry or tangine the second day and use the carcass and any leftover meat to make a chicken and veggie soup the third day(make sure you skim off all the fat from the stock though).

Three days of main meals from one hen - bargain :D

Yum, I love roast chicken!

You can roast a chicken without adding any fat if you make a marinade of yoghurt, tomato, lemon and garlic and baste it regularly.

You can also make roast root veg (squash, sweet potato, swede, carrot) without adding any oil: chop the veg up into thumb-sized chunks, put in a baking tray, cover with chicken stock and roast in the same oven as the chicken. It takes about 20 minutes, and the veg will come out exactly as when you roast it in tons of oil! It becomes all caramelised and crunchy on the outside, and creamy on the inside, as all the liquid evaporates.

Have a chicken breast (without the skin?) for your tea today, and then, as Annya suggested, use the rest of the meat to make a saucy dish and the carcass to make soup.

Hm, maybe I'll pop out and buy a chicken, you've made me want one!

x

We have roast chicken dinner tonight and the rest will last us 'til Thursday. I have the breast meat and DH has the thighs and drumsticks (no skin for me - syns - he has mine!)

Whatever else is left goes in the soup or sometimes I make up a chicken, pepper and sweetcorn filling for a jacket spud with ULF fromage fraise and a couple of spoons of Extra Light Mayo and lots of ground black pepper or use it in a carbonara with lots of mushrooms, onions, peppers and Phili light - DIVINE :heartpump: :heartpump:

Ooooooh thank you all sound lovely ..going to print this off and get organizing for a chicken week lol :)

Capricorn has a delicious Spanish rice recipe. I quite often make this with left over chicken. I can usually get at least 4 meals from a chicken for 2 of us plus a soup.

Denise

Back