The word 'FAT'

I think some people joke about and refer to themselves as fat as a defence mechanism. To get in there first so no one else can say it, that way it doesn't sting as much.
There's a girl at work like that. Always joking about the size of her arse and boobs before anyone else can. To me it looks like an obvious defence mechanism. She thinks everyone else is thinking the same thing so why not say it for them...quite sad really :(

I really HATE the word FAT! It really makes me cringe and get really embarassed. I think its all those childhood memories of being called it so often. Obese is even worse! I do call myself a fat b*tch and fat mess from time to time, but I'm trying to control that as it just makes me feel even worse about myself.
BTW Cherryade- I LOVE your fringe! It's so cool! x

LOL ty pumpkin Im a bit if a retro gal :)

My mum once introduced me to her friend, and I kid yee not it went like this ...."This is my youngest, she's trying to lose some weight".

How nice.

I started slimming world last year and have lost 2 stone 11 pounds since and im really happy with that,but i still feel just as fat not even a little less fat. I tent to bring up my fatness and i hate doing it but i feel that if i dont people will think " aww that fat girl is trying to avoid the subject" :[

I call myself fat, call SW 'fat club, my GF calls herself fat too, but I'm not to ever call her fat. Nope, I'd be a dead girl. My kids call us fat, so we chase them around the, with our tummys jiggling all over yelling 'bellys gonna get you'. My daughter is 8 and like a twig, moans that she's too skinny. Luckily her friends eating habits haven't rubbed off on her. My friends daughter, same age as mine, has really bad issues with her food and weight. Some evil little chil;d called her fat and now she has been known to refuse food, going as far as 'dropping' it under our dining table. The whole plate of it.

Wow- I am amazed and honoured to be around such strong and determined women.
Reading the HORRIBLE comments other people have had to endure from strangers, classmates and worst of all family members makes me so angry (I can completely relate to them all unfortunately)

I personally use 'fat' to describe myself around strangers and friends, as Ninja says it is probably a defence mechanism, but it doesn't hurt. It would hurt however if someone used it against me to be spiteful and I would never use it in reference to another person so I guess I am not ok with it, only in circumstances that I am in conrol of.

xxx

i say fat club lmao i'm so glad i'm not the only one my mum is fond of the word chunky even though she is bigger than me i get your a bit chunky, and she likes to shout get the next size up that won't fit when were out shopping for clothes even if it will fit she is a bit mean to be honest but i let her off cause she is my mumwe argue like mad bout clothes and what size i am i am a comfy fourteen but she would have me in eighteens if she could. 8I don't mind the word fat i have even grown accustomed to my fat it's good to be honest with yourself about your appearance yes i am fat i have eaten too much and now i have fat but i am doing something about it. Because i do not have a massive bmi i am about two stone over weight i think people think it's ok to be a bit meaner too you about your weight as if just cause your only a bit over weight it's ok to say oooh you have put on a bit of timber! or i had amate who used to call me michelle mcfatous and because i was only just starting to put weight on he thought it was ok but people who don't struggle with there weight don't realise how hard it is. Fat is just another derogatory western word we can throw around when we want to be insulting the same as lanky spotty ugly white ,black etc etc the only way these words become a weapon is if you let them hurt you and the best way to fight is to not let them be used in a negative way, yes i have fat yeah i am fat i'd rather be fat than an ignoramous who thinks it's ok to insult someone in the street just because they can!

I use the word fat about myself all the time, but when i use it about myself in front of my overweight friend she always looks horrified , as if i have insulted her, when i havent. I don't bother much if someone calls me fat, i just say to them why state the obvious, because you can't think of anything intelligent to say lol. I would never call anyone else fat though. I remember once walking through a shopping centre and someone said 'oh there's mandy dingle':eek:. Oh and my ex used to get drunk and call me fat and disgusting all the time, that just made me comfort eat more.

I think this word is different for everyone depending on what we have been through etc x

Back