Theres nothing worse..

L.i.n.d.a

Fatgirlwannabeslim
Then when a person loses weight and becomes arrogant with it. Im all for applauding success, but to show off to the extreme is cringeworthy..what do you folk think? Modesty prevails...:)

ooo whats happened?

Ooh I know what you mean I know somebody just like that - she has lost around three stone which I think is excellent but never passes up an opportunity to refer to old size/weight saying that she was obese etc and hideous - false modesty prevails here I'm afraid - its especially annoying as she knows I weigh around what she used to!

I empathise completely!

It's good to feel happy and proud about weight loss but if it's to put someone down or rub their nose in it then that's a big no in my books!

I know someone who has lost about 4 stone and is now forever pointing out people who she thinks is fat...... ' oh look at the size of her' type of comments.......its not nice at all and I would've thought she would know how hurtful those words can hurt people.

lisa2 said:
I know someone who has lost about 4 stone and is now forever pointing out people who she thinks is fat...... ' oh look at the size of her' type of comments.......its not nice at all and I would've thought she would know how hurtful those words can hurt people.

Sounds like its gone to her head abit which is a shame.Not nice to hear someone behaving like that!

Who fancies a psychology lesson on the issue? Michael J Hornsey and colleges hypothesised that people react differently depending on how others fit in their group, or not as the case may be. People we share something in common with are known as the in-group, where the opposite is of course the out-group. So, let's say for example that someone is female, white, over weight and into rock music, other people who are also female, white, over weight and into rock music are more likely to get along with that person because they empathise/sympathise/recognise/feel comfortable with that person. If say someone changed in some way, like loosing lots of weight they then shift from one in-group to another. Makes sense, right?

In layman's terms, birds of a feather stick together!

Master Bulldog said:
Who fancies a psychology lesson on the issue? Michael J Hornsey and colleges hypothesised that people react differently depending on how others fit in their group, or not as the case may be. People we share something in common with are known as the in-group, where the opposite is of course the out-group. So, let's say for example that someone is female, white, over weight and into rock music, other people who are also female, white, over weight and into rock music are more likely to get along with that person because they empathise/sympathise/recognise/feel comfortable with that person. If say someone changed in some way, like loosing lots of weight they then shift from one in-group to another. Makes sense, right?

I don't agree with that as I've always had friends of all shapes,personalities etc though I do have limits of course!Though I guess other people would fit into this group!

Master Bulldog said:

I 100% agree with that! I always get the "outcast" and the I started losing weight to eventually become skinner that my friends this now result in me being the "outcast" of the skinniest... Makes sense?!?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Not nice to be unkind to others and it is anoying if arrogant/bragging etc but it is hard work losing weight. I myself have lost a lot of weight (not wanting to brag or anything ;)) and people have often said I must be proud of myself.....though this thread contradicts that?

It doesn't contradict it, you can be proud of yourself but you don't have to be arrogant about it and point out about others being in a position you yourself was once in.

Snugglepuss said:
It doesn't contradict it, you can be proud of yourself but you don't have to be arrogant about it and point out about others being in a position you yourself was once in.

Yup very true!

Yup very true!
I agreed with most of that post in my first post. What some people would define as arrogant would be different to what others would though and there's not a lot of detail in the op to say what sort of behaviour would be arrogant and cringeworthy.

I have friends who have different tastes in music are different sizes etc and most of them have been my friends whatever size I've been so although can see why people do hang around with people they have things in common with its not always the case.
I suppose if the person who had lost the weight changed a lot in their personality as well or the other friends became jealous unable to cope with the weight loss then that could cause a shift in groups though

Last edited:
*Emsie* said:
I have friends who have different tastes in music are different sizes etc and most of them have been my friends whatever size I've been so although can see why people do hang around with people they have things in common with its not always the case.

Variety is the spice of life!opps went through twice lol

:) Indeed, variety is the spice of life. What I was offering was a theory into why condescending lady mentioned in the original post may be doing it. We should remember that a theory is just that, not something "proven" and set in stone :)

There could be other psychological factors at play with the rude woman who is putting others down. Personally, I suspect self-image issues.

Back