Thinking about Dukan....

SandraB

Gold Member
Hi all, I'm thinking about doing Dukan for a number of reasons and would welcome your advice! for starters here's a bit of info about me....

I am 50 and have been doing Lipotrim for 9 weeks and have lost exactly 2 stone. The weight loss seems to have stalled this week and I'm a bit cheesed off. I'm having a hip replacement in 4 weeks and my doctor has advised me to re-feed for 2 weeks prior to going into hospital. I still have 26 lbs to get to my target of 10 stone, this may be a bit low for me but was my weight back in 2005 before I started having all kinds of health issues, operations, etc (which I won't bore you with!) I've only recently had such a big weight problem, got depressed due to pain and not being able to exercise etc....usual story!:(

I'm considering Dukan as it sounds a lot more sensible than Atkins and I have realised that I am really carb-sensitive and, once I start, find it very hard to limit how much bread I consume! I have a holiday home in France and spend a lot of time there so I thought that perhaps this diet would make a lot of sense! Obviously I am in ketosis at the moment so I'm not going to experience any hunger problems in the transition from LT to Dukan but I'm wondering if there's anything that I haven't thought about? I've ordered the book from Amazon and intend to read it before I start, I'm away in London this weekend and have already planned to take my shakes but have a meal (protein and salad only) in the evenings so will possibly start this diet on Monday.

How much weight do you think that I can expect to lose in the next 4 weeks???? is this a realistic diet to follow after LT and will I feel better on it than I do at the moment.....feeling a bit fed up after sooooo long on LT!

Sorry for the length of this post but I really would welcome some advice from you guys who are already on the diet.

Many thanks:D

Hi and congrats on your loss so far. Dukan is a great diet for quick loss, but you may actually gain 1st week on it as its food you are eating. when you are in hospital you will probably struggle on a low carb diet as you know what the food is like in there - meat and carbs and veg usually.
you have lost so much weight quite quickly so your body does need time to catch up.

best of luck in your quest for those final lbs to lose and good luck in hospital x
(p.s. i used to do dukan but now back on atkins in case you wondered why im posting ;) )

Hi and congrats on your loss so far. Dukan is a great diet for quick loss, but you may actually gain 1st week on it as its food you are eating. when you are in hospital you will probably struggle on a low carb diet as you know what the food is like in there - meat and carbs and veg usually.
you have lost so much weight quite quickly so your body does need time to catch up.

best of luck in your quest for those final lbs to lose and good luck in hospital x
(p.s. i used to do dukan but now back on atkins in case you wondered why im posting ;) )

Thanks for the post.

I don't like the thought of putting on even a pound after all these weeks of LT! I'm not tooo worried about sticking to low carb in hospital as I'm planning on simply maintaining for the few days that I'm in. I'm going private too and I know from past experience just how good the chef is and he's really accomodating too! Incidentally, why have you swopped back to Atkins?

OK - there are some people who have come from lipotrim or similar on here who should respond x
i thought dukan was very effective, but having done atkins before dukan I missed the food. I didnt think id be able to maintain on dukan - whereas I know I love the atkins food and i missed cheese way too much!

hello there Sandra,

I would have to agree with Vicky, I'm afraid, ref going from a sachet diet onto something like Dukan. You may well experience a slight weight increase initially. The ketosis level for Dukan is higher, and we do in fact eat more carbs than on Atkins because of the oatbran (highly recommended, so if you're planning on starting Monday, you'll need to get some!!).

Having said that, I'm not in any way intending to dissuade you from moving over, particularly with your "French connection" (where is your house ish, if you don't mind answering vaguely, and do you go often?).

In any event, after any VLCD, there is a period where you need to reintroduce slowly I presume so a gain would be the result of any fast introduction such as switching suddenly to a food diet.

In any event, after a sachet diet, I'd have thought chewing would be such a joy that the first week's potential gain will be but a small price... and then with your hospital stay, Dukan will be easier and nicer I'm sure, particularly with a friendly chef to pander to your every whim... (I certainly could do with one of those).

x

Hi Joanne.....pardon the pun but this is certainly giving me food for thought!

Certainly Dukan seems a bit more bearable longer term than LT and perhaps a couple of is a small price to pay?! If I do go ahead I will do the proper LT re-feed but will graduate towards Dukan, does that make sense? I now realise that i cant just switch across, excuse my naivety! Is oat bran like porridge? Before LT I had porridge every morning even in the Summer! I will get some tomorrow

My house is in central Brittany, Dept 56, about an hour and a half from St Malo. I've probably spent about a third of my time there over the past 18 months, supervising the renovation....ok making the tea and providing the kitkats! Now it's finished I don't think that we'll be going over quite so much and I plan on starting work again when I've recovered from my hip replacement. So will probably go over every three weeks or so.

Thanks for your help......x

Oat bran is different to porridge oats, so check the labelling in the shops... It enables us to bake such delicacies as my infamous (to me at least!) breakfast smoked salmon muffins (see p.1 of the menu thread); or some people make pancakes or porridge with them... or cakes etc. According to which phase of the diet you are, a different amount is allowed, but it's not a great deal per day (1.5 tablespoons in attack; 2 in cruise and Conso).

I've been to Morbihan and have friends in Sarzeau...

I see you're a "too posh to renovate" person too... us teamakers just don't get our full recognition, I don't believe...

let us know what you decide... and I'm sure an ex-sachet person will be along shortly... Join in anywhere...

Oat bran is different to porridge oats, so check the labelling in the shops... It enables us to bake such delicacies as my infamous (to me at least!) breakfast smoked salmon muffins (see p.1 of the menu thread); or some people make pancakes or porridge with them... or cakes etc. According to which phase of the diet you are, a different amount is allowed, but it's not a great deal per day (1.5 tablespoons in attack; 2 in cruise and Conso).

I've been to Morbihan and have friends in Sarzeau...

I see you're a "too posh to renovate" person too... us teamakers just don't get our full recognition, I don't believe...

let us know what you decide... and I'm sure an ex-sachet person will be along shortly... Join in anywhere...

The muffins sounds brill! Will defo look up the recipe.

No, I'm not to posh to renovate! If anything I worked harder than the workmen, I regularly did weeks where I worked a 14 hour day, particularly in the garden when the weather was good. I was regularly plumber's mate, electrician's mate, gardener's mate etc.....as most of the guys working on the house were 'one-man bands'! You sound as if you speak with prior knowledge? have you got a place too? we're about 5 minutes from Josselin, I don't know Sarzeau but then again I don't know that many places at all cos I've been tooooo busy working! :D

thanks for all the help, I'd never have got through the past couple of months without the guys on the LT forum x

Back