Thinking of Giving It Another Go

Hi WESTIE AND DAISY

Hello ladies
May Isay how nice it is that you ladies are on the LL forum? Welcome back.
What you've said Westie just confirms that we all tend to lurk for a while before we join in.
BL and I were only talking the other day, saying that we don't have many of the more experienced LL people on here any more. Most of us are LLers during this last year.
We are lucky we have been successful and we don't want to become complacent or give the impression it's easy to lose so much weight successfully. It is a challenge, it is hard and it's a great achievement, but we are terrified of losing the plot and undoing all the good work and letting the weight slip back on by drifting into old behaviours.
Stick around please- we can all help each other.
For me the difference between LL and anything else I have tried is definitely the CBT/COUNSELLING/GROUP SUPPORT.
It's worth the investment. Good luck ladies whatever you decide. As you can see this is a very supportive forum. Please join us.

:family2::girlpower::welcome::talk017::talk017:

Thank you so much SB. What a lovely welcoming post :D

I agree totally that the group and counselling sessions helped me immensely when I initially did LL. I moved house, to a different country (well from Scotland to Wales lol :p) and lost all that wonderful support that I truly believe made all the difference to me.

But equally forums like these have been my saviour in times of need. I joined the precursor to this forum (Discovery Health) in 2006 and then came here when Minis was founded. I find the giving and receiving of support is what keeps me going.

I have made some very true and wonderful friends from here, both online and now in real life.

I look forward to being part of a community that is so accepting and so supportive of each other.

I thank you again :eek:

Got to go and make truffles !!

Thanks for the rep. You are welcome. We've got Secret Santa at work tomorrow.
I'm making Christmas pudding truffles.
So easy, crumble up a Christmaspudding, mix in melted Galaxy, roll into little balls, dust with icing sugar. Put a little drizzle of white icing on top with a bit of glace cherry and angelica. Pot them in gold sweet cases. Make super presents. Will last from now till Cristmas. I'm also taking no-alcoholic mulled wine.
Must get on with it and stop spending my time on here.
Good night xxx:17729::xmascheers:

hey westie,
i truely believe dieting ISNT just bout willpower, ur head has to be in the right place for it. if i was u id take the fact that the last time u did ll it wasnt the right time for u, but now that u have decided to give it another go it is the time. ur head has to be in it.

i like u when joined ll was only 90% sure...i didnt have the confidence in myself to say YES im sticking to it. i used to take 1 hour at a time sometimes less on the days i thought i couldnt do it! but when u really want something u have to get it for urself.

dont keep beating urself up about the past...its in the past and u cant control it but u can influence the future...take it with both hands xxx

Hey sweetie

I defo think you could do this again absolutely no doubt about it... if you can do it once you can 100% do it again.

You are a clever lady... over xmas weigh up the pros and cons of doing LL... see how long you will need to be on it and the consequences for your social/personal life if you decide to do it.

I feel if you do decide to do it you need to do it 100% with no 'breaks' planned or otherwise, otherwise you are wasting your time IMHO. And what I mean by planned breaks is if you have something planned say for beginning of February and you are planning on taking a break before even starting LL then I'm not sure I would even start cos your focus really needs to be on the finish line.

I really feel if there was LL here I would do it because I think the counselling and the group side of it would be a great help... unfortunately it isn't here and I don't think I could SS with CD again... but the weight is coming off in 2009 no matter what!!!!!

Good luck with what you choose and sure ya know we will all be behind ya a million per cent xxxxxx

I agree with Gen

Absolutely agree.
I think the whole point of LL is re-evaluating yourrelationship with food, getting to be in control of it rather than the other way around.
There are always going to be events,parties, celebrations, mood swings, disasters, holidays etc etc.
which in the past would have been reasons to either delay starting diets, take time out or lapse (cheat).
The only way LL has worked for me is to think of it as a complete change in my relationship with food (which I love), and not to consider LL as a diet which will come to an end.
Maybe we should adopt the doggy slogan:
"Lighter Life is for LIFE not just Christmas"
Good luck.

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:

Sorry not replied for a couple of days - been thinking a lot :rolleyes:

hey westie,
i truely believe dieting ISNT just bout willpower, ur head has to be in the right place for it. if i was u id take the fact that the last time u did ll it wasnt the right time for u, but now that u have decided to give it another go it is the time. ur head has to be in it.

i like u when joined ll was only 90% sure...i didnt have the confidence in myself to say YES im sticking to it. i used to take 1 hour at a time sometimes less on the days i thought i couldnt do it! but when u really want something u have to get it for urself.

dont keep beating urself up about the past...its in the past and u cant control it but u can influence the future...take it with both hands xxx

Thank you soooo much for your support :)

Last time I did LL I was 100% for foundation and development. I had the doubts beforehand that I would be able to remain abstinent but once I started I gave myself no option to fail. I wanted it too badly. It was only when I got to maintenance that I failed, but more of that in a minute :rolleyes:

Hey sweetie

I defo think you could do this again absolutely no doubt about it... if you can do it once you can 100% do it again.

You are a clever lady... over xmas weigh up the pros and cons of doing LL... see how long you will need to be on it and the consequences for your social/personal life if you decide to do it.

I feel if you do decide to do it you need to do it 100% with no 'breaks' planned or otherwise, otherwise you are wasting your time IMHO. And what I mean by planned breaks is if you have something planned say for beginning of February and you are planning on taking a break before even starting LL then I'm not sure I would even start cos your focus really needs to be on the finish line.

I really feel if there was LL here I would do it because I think the counselling and the group side of it would be a great help... unfortunately it isn't here and I don't think I could SS with CD again... but the weight is coming off in 2009 no matter what!!!!!

Good luck with what you choose and sure ya know we will all be behind ya a million per cent xxxxxx

Ah Gen, my lovely friend :D. In LL there is no choice to stay abstinent - unlike CD where there are "food" options. Either I'm in or I'm out - no half measures - the whole reason I've been weighing up the pros and cons.

You and me both gonna crack this in 2009 :D

Absolutely agree.
I think the whole point of LL is re-evaluating yourrelationship with food, getting to be in control of it rather than the other way around.
There are always going to be events,parties, celebrations, mood swings, disasters, holidays etc etc.
which in the past would have been reasons to either delay starting diets, take time out or lapse (cheat).
The only way LL has worked for me is to think of it as a complete change in my relationship with food (which I love), and not to consider LL as a diet which will come to an end.
Maybe we should adopt the doggy slogan:
"Lighter Life is for LIFE not just Christmas"
Good luck.

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:

Loving the slogan :D

You are right - the reason that LL worked is because it was a complete step away from food and the associations it had in my head. I never once cheated :)

Thank you all so so much for replying.

I am pretty much 99.9% sure I want to return to LL. I have re-read all the handwritten diaries I did whilst following LL and there is so much I can learn from them.

The main points I have learnt though is that abstinance was (relatively) easy. It was a black or white choice - eat or not eat. There was never any doubt about the answer - don't eat. Eating is not part of the programme so you don't do it!

Today I have read the sections on my diaries where I went into management. It has been very illuminating. There are many lessons to be learnt.

There was a very telling entry where, only about 2 weeks into management, I had a HUGE binge. In desperation I called my LLC and she rationalised the fact that I had far too much on my plate. At the time I was preparing to leave my home, the country I lived in, my very close flatmate, a business which I'd built with a recently separated ex (after being together for 14 years), my job and workmates, scared about finding a new job and friends, scared about an impending job interview to become a LLC, mourning abstinence, scared of being a bridesmaid at the wedding of my ex's brother to my best friend (and seeing him for the first time since being slim) and an upcoming Minimins meet and in Newcastle and a holiday abroad where both were going to test my control beyond belief. All this on top of facing going back to food on my own!

I look back now and realise it's no wonder I collapsed under the strain :eek: At the time though I judged myself so harshly for being weak and now I realise that all those things combined would be enough to test the strongest of people!

The thing is that now I have made up my mind I don't know if/when I can start. The local LLC doesn't have a date for me yet (even though there is another member on here who has a start date of 5th Jan).

I am desperate to get back on track again and this is unbearable. The LLC said she would call early Jan but I am thinking of calling next week to see if there's an update. You know when you want to start something, you just want to do it straight away.

Sorry for the ramble but getting that off my chest feels so much better :eek:

Bl---y hell Westie

How much can a girl take?
No wonder you had a struggle! Who wouldn't.
This time last year I felt very much like you.I was evaluating my whole life.
Marriage,home,work, health, weight,friendships etc, etc.
Once I decided that LL was for me Icouldn't start straight away either. I had to wait until the middle of February. It seemed like ages and even then our LLC only had 5 starters so we were lucky she decided to start our group.
But I am so glad I waited and stuck with LL. I couldn't have achieved this any other way. I know because I had tried before with other ways. Losing weight is only 1 aspect of this as you know better than I do.
Compare the time you may have to wait to start with the time that's been since you did LL before.It's nothing compared to the quality of life and your self-esteem for the future is it?
You have to make the decision that's right for you.
Good luck. xxx:devilangel:

How much can a girl take?
No wonder you had a struggle! Who wouldn't.
This time last year I felt very much like you.I was evaluating my whole life.
Marriage,home,work, health, weight,friendships etc, etc.
Once I decided that LL was for me Icouldn't start straight away either. I had to wait until the middle of February. It seemed like ages and even then our LLC only had 5 starters so we were lucky she decided to start our group.
But I am so glad I waited and stuck with LL. I couldn't have achieved this any other way. I know because I had tried before with other ways. Losing weight is only 1 aspect of this as you know better than I do.
Compare the time you may have to wait to start with the time that's been since you did LL before.It's nothing compared to the quality of life and your self-esteem for the future is it?
You have to make the decision that's right for you.
Good luck. xxx:devilangel:

You are right, of course. The timescale is relative of course, everything comes to he who waits. Patience is not one of my greatest virtues though :eek:

Thank you for your lovely post, tried to rep you but unfortunately - I gotta spread it around :(

Hi westie :)

I think Patience is the key to success - not in just diets - but anything really.

SOmetimes how you look at things can influence how you feel about the time taken, or that it will take, etc.

I was always afraid of taking a year to lose weigh - hell, it would have been 2 years at least had I gone the conventional route. But, I knew it would take patience - so I chugged along.

I worked out the other night, that I spent nearly 8000 days as an obsese to morbidly obese preson. ANd it took just 343 days or so, to lose those years of excess baggage and crap. When I look at it that way - it really is just a >blink< of an eye in the amount of time taken....so maybe try and view it differently, and that might help?

It is hard when life piles crap on top of crap and it can try us. That is probably what happened to you last time. And you had not had enough time perhaps to really put your new skills into practice. Thats an uphill battle in the best of times - more challenging in troubled times.

I reckon you are in it to win it this time....you know where to and where not to turn this time.

I'd get on the phone and start pushing your LLC for a date! I had to.

Seems to be a common theme among LLCs - make us wait for confirmation!!! I hear that all the time, and I had to - I finally started calling ever day until I got an answer! :D

Good luck hon. You'll do it.!!!

Hi westie :)

I think Patience is the key to success - not in just diets - but anything really.

SOmetimes how you look at things can influence how you feel about the time taken, or that it will take, etc.

I was always afraid of taking a year to lose weigh - hell, it would have been 2 years at least had I gone the conventional route. But, I knew it would take patience - so I chugged along.

I worked out the other night, that I spent nearly 8000 days as an obsese to morbidly obese preson. ANd it took just 343 days or so, to lose those years of excess baggage and crap. When I look at it that way - it really is just a >blink< of an eye in the amount of time taken....so maybe try and view it differently, and that might help?

It is hard when life piles crap on top of crap and it can try us. That is probably what happened to you last time. And you had not had enough time perhaps to really put your new skills into practice. Thats an uphill battle in the best of times - more challenging in troubled times.

I reckon you are in it to win it this time....you know where to and where not to turn this time.

I'd get on the phone and start pushing your LLC for a date! I had to.

Seems to be a common theme among LLCs - make us wait for confirmation!!! I hear that all the time, and I had to - I finally started calling ever day until I got an answer! :D

Good luck hon. You'll do it.!!!

You know the thing I love most about coming on these forums is the way that you are challenged to look at things in a different way.

I had never ever thought about working out how many days I had been obese for - compared to how long it took to lose that weight. It truly is a blink of the eye isn't it!

I definately didn't have enough time to even learn the new eating skills, let alone put them into practice. For a start I went into maintenance about 2 weeks before I was actually ready to (because I was so pushed for time) and then I had to fit the whole 12 weeks maintenance programme into 4 weeks, before being cast adrift! I just crumbled on my own once the support network was gone.

Of course you can't say what will happen in the next year, but I have no intention of moving country or anything so drastic and hopefully can follow the programme fully and do it properly.

I've decided I'm going to phone the LLC for an update today anyway. It can't hurt to get clarification can it?

Well I decided to phone the local LLC afterall today.

She hasn't heard anything about transferring my records from my old LLC yet - but that was probably to be expected with the Xmas hols coming up. She said she doubted that there would be a problem.

I asked about a start date and she mentioned the fact that there was a group starting 5th Jan (which I knew because Sharon on here is starting then) but that was pretty much full but she needed confirmations from people next week and she would try and get me in it if she could (she said she was pleased to hear my enthusiam :D).

If not she said that there would be a group starting the week after or the week after that (athough the night might change after a week or so) but there would definately be another group :D

I'm still not getting too enthusiastic until I get that date, but it's so close I can almost taste it (sorry for the choice of words :p)

awh delighted ur nearing the start date hunni and good on ya for ringing xxx

Thanks Westie

Seems you are getting closer to starting now.
One of my favourite sayings:
"Patience is a virtue, catch it if you can - seldom in a woman,never in a man"!!!
Happy Christmas xxx:4616:

Excellent

I am so pleased for you.
Good luck for 2009.
xxx

Back