Extra Easy Third superfree - something to ponder

In my book beans (runner, green, balor, cluster) are superfree. Are you referring to baked beans?

Ooh, I mean like broad beans, barlotti beans etc. I clean forgot french/green beans etc existed, let alone were a superfree! I meant the pulse type of beans.

mizztraveller said:
I'm an online member so I don't have the benefit of a consultant ... but ... on the website they have sample menus for a week and many of them don't have the 'third free', eg poached egg and baked beans on toast; cheese omelette with mushrooms and peppers; bacon sandwich; spaghetti on toast; Baxters pasta and bean soup. All these are listed as breakfasts or lunches with no mention at all of any fruit/veg extras. So, maybe no consultant but it's there in black and white on the website so I'm going with that! I much prefer to have my fruit as mid-meal snacks rather than eating them with a meal just for the sake of it.

I agree there are some of the meals on the planners online that dont have superfree, but it is only one or two, the majority do have superfree included. I think this is because it is okay to occasionally just have beans on toast, as long as it isn't an all the time thing at every meal.

The blurb for extra easy online clearly says to try to incorporate a 1/3 superfree into every meal.

Lilleece79 said:
There's a lot of talk about calorie control, portion control and stopping when you're full. Now I agree that all this is total common sense but there is 2 things that bother me.

1. No-where on the SW plan does it state any of this.
2. If we all had "control" we wouldn't be here in the first place.

I have trouble with the 1/3 sff but have given it some thought and think I can alter my food slightly to get more in. However, if we all chose SFF as out first choice for snacks & to fill us up so we stop eating more, where would we squeeze in the syns? We're full remember, and snacking on fruit/veg!

I see that this plan is very simple, don't get me wrong, it's just how regimented does it need to be?? Is this just not about cutting out crap!

You don't necessarily need control if you follow the 1/3 superfree as advised, because you are automatically controlling your portions of the other free foods by adding the superfree foods to your meal.

BritMumInCanada said:
You don't necessarily need control if you follow the 1/3 superfree as advised, because you are automatically controlling your portions of the other free foods by adding the superfree foods to your meal.

Well you need some control as I could easily eat the third superfree then continue to stuff my face with the rest of my meal even if I was too full and feeling sick! I needed to learn it was ok to leave food on my plate and to put the fork down!

I needed to learn it was ok to leave food on my plate and to put the fork down!

I still havent learnt this lol love finishing my plate!!

shardi2209 said:
Well you need some control as I could easily eat the third superfree then continue to stuff my face with the rest of my meal even if I was too full and feeling sick! I needed to learn it was ok to leave food on my plate and to put the fork down!

Yes you need some control as in to know when your are satisfied and not so full you can barely move from your seat.

But what I mean is that by sticking to the 1/3 superfree it automatically limits the higher caloried free foods on your plate, so it is helping you to control your portions without having to count calories or weigh food.

You of course like with any healthy eating plan have to also teach some things to yourself, like knowing when to stop eating etc, but those aren't things that are going to happen overnight, it is something we have to continue for life, but SW certainly helps with certain aspects, which is why we are all here together following the plan.

Last edited:
Hannahkw1 said:
I still havent learnt this lol love finishing my plate!!

I think it's from years of being told that there are starving children in Africa when growing up! Still feel guilty if I have to throw any of it away.

I think that's why I reckon it might help to start off on red and green days in order to learn or relearn how to recognise that you're satisfied so don't need anything more to eat and then move on to the EE days when you can control yourself. Because I know it was a real struggle for me.

I though the whole point of the 1/3 superfree foods (apart of the health benefits) was that they tend to be lower in cals than free foods, so if you follow the EE plan and make sure you eat 1/3 superfree then you'll naturally limit your calorie intake without having to count calories. The Green and Red days do the same because they limit either your carb or protein intake. So if you eat some fruit before your meal you'll probably eat less of the meal and so eat less calories. Am I totally wrong?

kingleds said:
I though the whole point of the 1/3 superfree foods (apart of the health benefits) was that they tend to be lower in cals than free foods, so if you follow the EE plan and make sure you eat 1/3 superfree then you'll naturally limit your calorie intake without having to count calories. The Green and Red days do the same because they limit either your carb or protein intake. So if you eat some fruit before your meal you'll probably eat less of the meal and so eat less calories. Am I totally wrong?

Nope you are completely right

I think it's from years of being told that there are starving children in Africa when growing up! Still feel guilty if I have to throw any of it away.

The only thing that stuck with me from the Paul McKenna 'I can make you thin' book, was how he very simply said 'how will you overeating what's on your plate benefit starving children in africa?'. I think so many of us grew up being told the same thing, but really, the african children aren't going to eat what we put in the bin! Now I really do stop when I have had enough (although it's not often!)

I grew up in Africa and when I offered to give my left over food to the starving Africans that didn't go down too well!
:)
Still have trouble leaving food on my plate - much easier to put less on and go back for seconds if I need it
Tracy

I'm glad this has come up, it's good to hear what everyone thinks.

I always thought the 1/3 superfree was kind of a tradeoff for being allowed red and green together and so you needed your superfree to give yourself this privalige!
I emailed SW as so many of their recipes don't have superfree or have a bowl of salad on the side half out of shot - why not just be honest and put it on the plate?
They said back to me 1/3 superfree is encouraged but not essential.

If you aren't having the 1/3 and are losing weight then whoop ... If you've eaten a truck load of spag Bol followed by 6 bananas and 5 muller light and put on then obviously things need looking into.

Oh and I reckon it's why red has always worked so well for me whereas I struggle on green.
On a red day I eat more sf than anything else- a piece of chicken and loads of diff veg or bolegnese with veg etc etc whereas on a green day I'd eat a big bowl of pasta with snacks of mug shots or couscous!

In effect though, all this means is cut your portion size by a third as, for me at least, the superfree foods, as lovely as they are, don't actually satisfy a hunger. I believed the mantra of Slimming World was that you would never be hungry. If I was to cut my free food portion size by a third to make room for the superfree for most meals then I would almost certainly be hungry a lot.

I'd suggest that your hunger is more psychological. Physically you would be full but don't feel that veg could fill you up enough. I'm the same with soups. If I haven't chewed then it doesn't count as food!

I must admit that I usually feel 'hungry' these days: but do think that my hungry / full button might be broken. I have to remind myself that I can't possibly be hungry after a huge meal, and have a drink instead. I am also learning to like the feeling of slight hunger ( not proper hunger ) rather than stuffed full feeling ! But, I know the veggies and fruit don't keep me feeling full for long !

Back