Extra Easy Third superfree - something to ponder

I know someone who is doing EE and swears the superfree have some magical powers to cancel all the calories in everything else ! I tried explaining that its basically to fill your plate up to leave less room for higher calorie dense food but dont think she gets it .

And of course it depends on the size of your plate !!

I think some people can't accept that the plan really is that simple!

I see where you're coming from Jaylou & I agree with you....why eat food if you dont really want it, but its all about balance & maybe some people just need that extra bit of advice & guidance. If they're not used to eating healthily (pre SW), the more advice the better to get an understanding of a healthier way of life.

Yes I think that kind of hits the nail on the head. Some of us know what we should be doing but are just a bit rubbish at doing it. Some of us think we know - but don't. And some of us really don't have a clue and think chips are healthy because they're made from potatoes. I guess you join the club to get the guidance - for some it may seem overly prescriptive and for others, a necessity.

Anyhoo - so far I'm really enjoying it - and it has given me a freedom. For my part I reduce my portions of the free stuff and try and make sure I get a bunch of superfree in as part of the meal. I try anyway. I tend to snack on fruit throughout the day anyway, but regard that as an extra most of the time. The beauty is that it is actually fairly flexible.

I personally do make sure I stick to the superfree rule on all plans. As for the fruit after, some people like dessert, and its a healthy dessert, so why not lol.
I have done it before, and just eat a little less of my dinner to leave room.

I agree that some people do it because they don't really understand that its meant to cut cals, but not everyone does it for that reason!

And if people are losing weight and eating healthier, then thats the main thing really :)

I could not agree with this more!
EE is a great plan, and clearly works for a lot of people that follow SW, I however, am not one of those people.
I have tried EE three times (for a full week each time) over the 9 weeks I've been doping sw and each time I have gained at least 0.5lbs.

On the other hand I know people who have followed EE an lost four pounds a week for a month!

EE does not work for me because I love food too much.
And with the exception of breakfast, my meals are usually all almost half super free!

E.g an example of a dinner, say I have chicken.

Red day:
At least three veg (sometimes more) usually including cauliflower/broccoli. Two (large) chicken breasts. Two - three boiled potatoes (9 times out of ten I wouldn't have these on a red day)

Green day:
Half a plate of veg (as before) but with SW mash, roast potatoes and probably some sweet potato too! A small (weighed) chicken breast.

EE:
The same amount of chicken from a red day
The same amount of carbs as a green day
A third veg - which is less than what I'd previously be eating!

I would need to weigh/measure everything I eat for EE to work for me, or really limit portion sizes.

Now this is something I've not heard before. Is this another one of those "common misconceptions?"

I'm sure I read that somewhere on an official SW page or in book, but I can't remember where. In fact in my EE booklet it says "one third of your plate with superfree foods each mealtime."

Hmmm..... maybe someone can give the official answer? Never really been an issue for me because I have the 3rd SF with every meal anyway, more or less. But I wouldn't want anyone to think they can tuck into a huge plate of dinner without the SF because I said just TWO meals a day...

I thought peas and beans are superfree???? X

Sorry, it's not free - Not sure of the syns as haven't got my book with me!

I'm an online member so I don't have the benefit of a consultant ... but ... on the website they have sample menus for a week and many of them don't have the 'third free', eg poached egg and baked beans on toast; cheese omelette with mushrooms and peppers; bacon sandwich; spaghetti on toast; Baxters pasta and bean soup. All these are listed as breakfasts or lunches with no mention at all of any fruit/veg extras. So, maybe no consultant but it's there in black and white on the website so I'm going with that! I much prefer to have my fruit as mid-meal snacks rather than eating them with a meal just for the sake of it.

If I don't want superfree with my meal I always only fill 2/3 thirds of my plate, then my next snack is always fruit/ salad etc.

The problem with someone starting EE and not using the SF rule may mean a huge pile of rice with loads of chicken curry etc, followed by a couple of Mullerlights. I can say this because I did it years ago and couldn't understand why I didn't lose weight lol!

Basically we all know what works for us if we've been on plan for a while, but I do think all newbies to the plan should stick to the 1/3 SF rule at the beginning.

Ineresting thread!! xx

Noooooooo!!!

Peas, sweetcorn, potatoes, beans, parsnips, avocados and sweet potatoes arean't superfree foods.

Ok I knew about potatoes, and avacodos.

How do I know which are superfree then? I was looking at the ss (superspeed) items in the book where Baked Beans and Garden Peas are SS. It's not that relavant to me because I rarely do an EE day but would like to know how I can tell for future reference. X

There's a lot of talk about calorie control, portion control and stopping when you're full. Now I agree that all this is total common sense but there is 2 things that bother me.

1. No-where on the SW plan does it state any of this.
2. If we all had "control" we wouldn't be here in the first place.

I have trouble with the 1/3 sff but have given it some thought and think I can alter my food slightly to get more in. However, if we all chose SFF as out first choice for snacks & to fill us up so we stop eating more, where would we squeeze in the syns? We're full remember, and snacking on fruit/veg!

I see that this plan is very simple, don't get me wrong, it's just how regimented does it need to be?? Is this just not about cutting out crap!

Ok I knew about potatoes, and avacodos.

How do I know which are superfree then? I was looking at the ss (superspeed) items in the book where Baked Beans and Garden Peas are SS. It's not that relavant to me because I rarely do an EE day but would like to know how I can tell for future reference. X

There is a whole section on superfree foods before the free foods section - I'm doing it online so may differ slightly. SuperSpeed foods just help to increase weight loss, hth xx

I'm thinking that's the two orange pages in the book.
Thanks
X

The SW plan itself advises in the book to eat until satisfied - it's part of the plan, not an extra thing that someone has decided to add on as a tweak.

Nobody is suggesting you should count or control calories, but it is the underlying basis of how the plan works, and if your losses slow down it's worth looking at what you're eating as some of the free foods can be high in calories, so if you're eating lots of it then the plan won't work. My consultant (both current and previous ones) have all made these comments when people have struggled to lose.

You're right, the plan is about cutting out the crap, but the reason it works is that the calorie intake is restricted by the superfree foods which we eat, so often it's ok to skip the superfree food and have great losses, but if your plate is piled high with just meat and potatoes, it's unlikely that you're going to do well on the plan. So it all depends on how you pile your plate

The SW plan itself advises in the book to eat until satisfied - it's part of the plan, not an extra thing that someone has decided to add on as a tweak.

Nobody is suggesting you should count or control calories, but it is the underlying basis of how the plan works, and if your losses slow down it's worth looking at what you're eating as some of the free foods can be high in calories, so if you're eating lots of it then the plan won't work. My consultant (both current and previous ones) have all made these comments when people have struggled to lose.

You're right, the plan is about cutting out the crap, but the reason it works is that the calorie intake is restricted by the superfree foods which we eat, so often it's ok to skip the superfree food and have great losses, but if your plate is piled high with just meat and potatoes, it's unlikely that you're going to do well on the plan. So it all depends on how you pile your plate

Exactly, this is where some people go wrong. SW is a lot easier then other 'diets' because it doesn't need you to count calories but you do have to have an amount of control and understanding about feeling full and overeating. The free foods are great and SW have these to help you make the right choices, so when you are peckish instead of grabbing a packet of crisps you can choose to have a syn free yogurt or some fruit, but you need to understand that have 4 yogurts, an apple and a banana as a snack (maybe an exageration) is probably not going to help you lose weight.

And back to the thread; I am an EE girl but in the 3rd or so week I did not follow the 1/3 sff and surprise surprise not only was I completly stuffed by eating the same amount of r & g together as I would on a r or g day, my losses slowed.

I do r days aswell and continue to follow the 1/3 sff.

xx

Back