Total Solution This has to be it!

Today is my second calendar month weigh-in and in the month I have lost 10lbs, going from 15.12.5lbs to 15.2.5lbs. 2.5lbs to get to my next mini goal and 3.5lbs to be out of the 15s. In fact, this is a 0.5lb gain from a couple of days ago but that's probably because I ate a couple of sweet chlli beef kebab skewers with cucumber for my dinner last night. Day to day, the 15s have felt like a slog a lot the time but when you take a step back, losing 10lbs in a month is a good rate of loss. Having said that, I don't want the 14s to take as long to get through so for the next month I am going to try really hard not to cheat as much and to seriously up the exercise. Today I am going out to meet a group of women I have never met before. Some of you may know of the 'Meet-up' website where you can register and specify where you are, what interests you have and then you get invitations from groups to attend their meet-ups. It's a good way to expand your social life if you want to. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I registered and said I was interested in meeting more women around my own age and then received an invitation from the Cardiff Meet-up Fab 50s group. The group's first meet up is this afternoon and I'm really looking forward to it. I have a very limited social life and I need to expand my social network. I'm not sure I'd have had the confidence to do this a few weeks ago so losing 2 stone has already made a difference to me feeling able to make positive changes to my life. Will report back later and catch up with diaries. Have to go and do some housework stuff now as I'm going to be out all afternoon. Hope everyone has a great day. :)

That's great Cate! I love meet up! It's a great way to meet new people with similar interests too :) have fun!

10lb for your second month is excellent - hope you have had great afternoon. I am impressed that you have done that, it isn't easy to go out and meet new people slim or not, it takes a lot of courage. I even avoid taking littlie to toddler groups if I can. I should take a leaf from your book. x

Well done Cate, 10lb is not to be sniffed at eh & well done on staying in control on your night out.

Hope you meet some interesting people this afternoon. This diet really does do wonders for our confidence x

Hi Cate. I'd never heard of meet up. Your afternoon sounds really interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing how it went. And WELL DONE on your 10lb loss. Re nezt month, have you seen the 2 new challenges I've put up?

If you lost 10lb per month every month that's 120lb a year - there'd be nothing left ;-)

LOL. That's hysterical!! Hadn't thought about it like that. In fact, when I started I was 240lbs so losing 120lbs in 12 months would be exactly half my body weight. Don't think I want to go that far though. ;)

Last edited:
Well, the Meet-Up went very well. A very nice group of women, very friendly and relaxed. Will definitely be going again and can see a couple becoming closer friends further down the line.

Had a good day food wise too. At the Meet-Up most of the ladies ordered food but I just stuck to coffee. I planned to say that I was going out for an Indian tonight if anyone asked but no one did. One other lady didn't eat either.

So today I have had two Exante packs, a teaspoon of vanilla shake and two small slices of re-heated pizza! Oops, had a slight slip there but nothing major. Also, my period arrived AGAIN today :confused:, mid-morning after I'd weighed in. Maybe that explains the 0.5lbs gain today.

Have just signed up to Lynne's two challenges but have had to amend the 'walking' one to suit me i.e. I'm not walking but rebounding and am not doing miles but minutes. I'm hoping that by committing to the challenge it'll force me to actually do it.

Hi Cate. Pleased you had a nice time today. I might look at joining a group locally when I retire as most of my friends live where I work which is about 40 miles away. I do have some friends here but would like to broaden my interests. You certainly don't look 52 on your picture.

Ah, thanks Lynne. One of the upsides of having suffered greasy, spotty skin as a teenager is reduced wrinkles as you age! I still get spots to this day in fact, especially during TOTM.

I can recommend the Meet Up site. There are so many different groups in Cardiff; I'm sure there'd be lots of choice for you where you are and, if not, you can start a group! Hope you've had a good day.

Hey Cate,
I have just been reading through your diary. Well done on managing to make such good choices. Some of your posts really resonated with me; I, too, have had episodes of overeating in the past when I am not even hungry. I have read somewhere that it is something to do with hormones and is the body's natural response to calorie restriction, so don't be so harsh on yourself. You are doing so well.

Glad you enjoyed the meet up; I just visited the website and think I will definitely sign up. I have never been good at making friends because I'm really shy. I think it is just what I need to meet people my age and hopefully form some lasting friendships.

Hey Cate,
I have just been reading through your diary. Well done on managing to make such good choices. Some of your posts really resonated with me; I, too, have had episodes of overeating in the past when I am not even hungry. I have read somewhere that it is something to do with hormones and is the body's natural response to calorie restriction, so don't be so harsh on yourself. You are doing so well.

Glad you enjoyed the meet up; I just visited the website and think I will definitely sign up. I have never been good at making friends because I'm really shy. I think it is just what I need to meet people my age and hopefully form some lasting friendships.

Welcome to my diary and thanks for the encouraging comments. I can really recommend the Meet-Up concept. This one was just meeting for coffee/lunch and a bit of a chat but there are lots more structured things to do do too if you're not sure of that format.

I'm not shy particularly. I had lots of friends in London and was always out but I moved to Cardiff, where I knew no one except for family at the same time as becoming a single mother and as I'm self-employed and work from home I wasn't making friends at work either. After about six months here I did make a couple of good friends but I have pretty much stuck with these although I occasionally do things with the mums at my son's primary school. However, the time is now for me to start getting out there, especially as James is getting older.

I hope you go for it. :)

52? No way!

Hope you have a great day. Pat on the back fir the meeting thing. Positive steps :) x

Thanks TH. Funny, that was my exact reaction on the morning of my 52nd birthday. :eek: In fact, it's my reaction to every birthday since I turned 30. :rolleyes: The only thing that changes is the number. And it keeps going up every year. Funny that!! Hope you're having a great weekend. ;)

What a gorgeous pic! I'm glad you had a lovely time. X

I did a couple of meet ups a few years ago, really enjoyed them and think they're a great idea. Are you going to go again? I remember doing a roller-derby type one. Had a blast - it was so much fun, but boy does it work out your thighs (this was in my skinnier days of course). The following morning I hobbled out of bed, sat on the loo, only to find I didn't have the muscle strength left to get back off the loo! I was sat there for about 5 minutes, trying to use the sink to hoist myself up!

I did a couple of meet ups a few years ago, really enjoyed them and think they're a great idea. Are you going to go again? I remember doing a roller-derby type one. Had a blast - it was so much fun, but boy does it work out your thighs (this was in my skinnier days of course). The following morning I hobbled out of bed, sat on the loo, only to find I didn't have the muscle strength left to get back off the loo! I was sat there for about 5 minutes, trying to use the sink to hoist myself up!

Lol! I think Katie and TH would appreciate where you are coming from! They often go skating together :)

Thanks TH. Funny, that was my exact reaction on the morning of my 52nd birthday. :eek: In fact, it's my reaction to every birthday since I turned 30. :rolleyes: The only thing that changes is the number. And it keeps going up every year. Funny that!! Hope you're having a great weekend. ;)

That's exactly the way to think! I was 60 last month and have the same philosophy. You're as old as you feel. I'm still waiting to feel grown up sometimes!

Back