This is so hard - I'm really scared

Monkey

Hello, I haven't posted here before, but figure it's more likely someone here might know what I'm talking about...

I'm currently on week 3 of the Lighter Life 'Route to Management' programme, having lost my weight during last year.
To start with it was lovely just to eat anything, hence the green leaves and chicken / fish kept me happy for a while. Unfortunately, I then had a lapse after getting some frustrating news last week and since then I've been really struggling :(

I start off each day OK, but by the middle of the afternoon I always get massive sugar cravings, which drive me nuts and I have given in to them a few times. Now I don't know how to get out of this habit and I'm really scared that I'm going to put all my weight back on!

It's so great to finally be slim and I was convinced that this time would be different and that I would somehow learn how to maintain my new weight by eating healthily, but I'm feeling really doubtful at the moment. And I don't want to spend my life on and off meal replacement products - it was meant to be a once only thing!

I really miss the feeling of control that I had while abstaining.

I've been doing lots of exercise over the last couple of weeks and have suprised myself in that I've actually been enjoying it. However, I don't think that this will compensate for me returning to old eating habits!

The problem is that I've never been able to stick to regimented diets, hence why I started LL, but the RtM plan requires me to follow 'eating rules' again and I can't stop being 'rebellious'!!

I also can't keep track of my moods - one minute I'm feeling positive and calm and the next I'm feeling desperate and anxious!

Has anyone else had these problems? I'd be really interested to hear what you think.

Thanks
Monkey :break_diet:

Have you tried creating thought records for when you want to reach for the sugary stuff? Or how about working out what triggers this craving (from a food point of view - ie is it after you've had a certain food that you start craving?). I'd speak to your LLC TODAY and get some advice. I also find the technique of TImes and Plans really useful (from Gillian Riley's "Eating Less" book).

Thanks Deb

You're right - I should try and do a thought record next time I feel like going for the chocolate. I have done them in the past and find them sometimes useful and sometimes not - unfortunately if I am in that rebellious mood, then even if I know what I am doing, I still rebel and do it anyway...:eek:
I definitely get stringer sugar cravings at certain times of the month and also if I have eaten an unsatisfying meal taste-wise i.e. too plain to keep me interested. I must learn how to cook!!

The good news is that I am feeling more positive at the moment and have just got a new job, which will hopefully keep my mind more occupied for a while!!

I guess this is the 1st time I have ever tried to maintain, as opposed to either trying to lose weight or not being careful at all, so obviously it may take me a while to get the hang of it...

I guess this is the 1st time I have ever tried to maintain, as opposed to either trying to lose weight or not being careful at all, so obviously it may take me a while to get the hang of it...

This was the first time I tried to maintain. Never really occured to me before:confused: I suppose I just thought it was never possible.

It is a bit of trial and error though. One step back....two forward. I've learnt so much along the way. Just got to put what we learn into practice eh :D

Hang in there. It's worth it :)

Thanks KD, I've been reading your posts and they've really helped me. I am determined to keep it off this time, so will be sticking around this forum!

I guess this is the 1st time I have ever tried to maintain, as opposed to either trying to lose weight or not being careful at all, so obviously it may take me a while to get the hang of it...[/quote]

Hello & don't be scared,
Since the very first pound you lost, you were already maintaining your loss. You have been actually maintaining through out your weightloss journey and not even knowing it!!!

Back