This is what the packs taste like

skinnyG

I know before I started I was interested to know what the space food was like and I saw lots of other people asking, so I thought I'd describe each - although these are just my opinions of course.

One thing to add first though, and I know others always try to stress this - they're not the nicest things you'll ever eat in your life. It's a means to an end, so don't expect them to be delish, but they're not vile either!

Vanilla shake

Don't expect this to taste like vanilla ice cream. It's a more grown up or old school vanilla. It reminds me of ready brek or Ovaltine or something like that. It has an almost floury taste for me. Not undrinkable, but not my favourite.

Some people have this one hot and add coffee or cold with coffee like an iced latte.

Banana shake

I think this is the most milkshake-like. It tastes a lot like a bannana milkshake - not an overpowering flavour, but enough to really taste it. I like this one thick with ice.

Strawberry shake

The strawberry flavour is very mild, so I think you can taste some of the floury-ness a little bit like the vanilla. It does still taste of strawberry, just not to the same degree as the banana. This one benefits from a sweetner added I think.

Chocolate shake

This is fairly chocolatey but not very sweet. Somewhere between the strawberry and banana on the flavour scale. If you have this hot I think it actually tastes pretty much like a real hot chocolate.

All of the shakes turn out quite thick if you use the recommended amount of water, so most people use more. Some people make half a shake and have the other half later. I tried this but it ended up a little too thin and watery for me, but good if you don't like drinks thick. They can all turn out very lumpy if you don't whisk them properly. Even when you use boiling water if you're having the shake hot, you need to whisk it.

Choc orange bar

The bars look kind of like rice krispie bars or to the untrained eye, a flapjack. I'm trying to think of something that they're the same size as... maybe a bar of soap. I think they're the best for taking to work because they don't require any prep and because they look a bit like a flapjack, nobody really notices that you're eating special diet food. The texture was a bit odd to me the first time I tasted one - it seems to break down into tiny bits in my mouth in an unpleasant way, but the second time I ate one I didn't notice it. The choc orange is lovely. It tastes quite strongly of orange essence, is fairly sweet and it has real dark chocolate chips in it. Yipee!

Raisen, toffee & nut bar

The texture and look is the same as the orange bar. The toffee flavour is quite mild and the nuts are so small you'd almost miss them, so don't worry if you don't like nuts. You get real raisens in this one - they're nice and juicy!

Mushroom soup

The soups are all pale and opaque in colour and turn out quite milky or creamy. I like to make them with much more water than is recommended to make it go further. You do have to whisk to get the lumps to disolve. Some people make the soups in a saucepan if they want to feel like they're cooking something.

Mushroom was the first one I tried and I really like it. About to have one! The mushroom flavour is apparant enough and there are little mushroom pieces. You could add salt and pepper to this if you like.

Thai Chicken soup

This soup is a pale orange colour and has a mildly spicy flavour - not too hot if you don't like that sort of thing. You could add salt and pepper or chilli flakes. I think some people add tabasco etc.

Vegetable soup

This one has a pale green colour and a plesant but non-descript vegetable flavour. I added lots of salt and pepper, because I like it, but it was fairly tasty without.

Tomato and basil soup

A lot of people don't get on well with this one. I found it very similar to the others. A pale peachy colour and creamy consistency. The flavour is very mild and I couldn't taste any basil but I added my favourite flaky seasalt, sracked black pepper and some of my garlic and chilli grinder and I thought it was fine.

I hope this helps some new people who are thinking about starting. I've had lot of support so just wanted to try and give something back :)

I am about to have my first mushroom soup so reading your write up has helped me a lot...I now know what I can add to bring out the flavour..thanks...;)

I had a toffee and nut cereal bar this morning and I was very pleased with how it tastes...I have had CD bars in the past and they were like eating a piece of mdf wood....so the exante cereal bars to me taste like any other you can buy in the shop..

so fingers crossed my mushroom soup doe's the trick lol..:rolleyes:

I will report back later ..;)

This is a really good idea! You've described them all fairly well I think.

Word of warning re bars.
They can (to some people) be absolutely delicious. I would almost want to cry when I had finished mine because it was all gone! Felt this way about both bars though the lovely mapley flavour and the unctios yummyness of the toffee in the toffee nut was my fave by about a percentage point.

I microwave them momentarily to make them that tiny bit moist. 9-10 secs the nut raisin, and 6-8 for the choc orange (or the choc melts too much) Take great care not to do them for any longer or you will kill them! and then you will be sad as you won't have any tea lol!

mmmmmmmmmmmm Exante bars mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
xxxx

good idea!

its funny how different people would describe stuff, i bizarrely think the vanilla shake tastes like a melted 'milky bar'! - ie white chocolate!

I was sitting today looking at the last square I had cut off my toffee & nut today, I try & make it last, but then caught myself licking the wrapper !!!!!

i cant stand the vanilla, and would swap for any of the soups? and all mine are watery, am I putting too much water in?..mmmmmmmmm..off to check the jug markings.......
fren

back
cant quite believe she was that silly.

also, when is the best time to have your bar? i choped mine in half yesterday, had half soup half bar, lunch, ditto dinner. is that allowed?

yes, thats a good compromise Fren

I (and a lot of others on here) chop the bar into little squares, I have half at 11.30am , then the otehr half later
I would have tried the half soup half biscuit system, but wasn't bothered faffing around finding half a soup :D

I have one of those pint mugs for my soup-I dunno-about 600ml water ?? (makes it last, eaten with a spoon) - everything is "make it last a long time, so your stomach can catch up with the full signals

you OK so far? no Diarr. probs yet?

squitter bot has already passed mate, now, nowt today, not even a rabbit poo ( i laffed reading the poo thread) cranked up the water, pounding thick head like a hangover, ramping up to daily exercise now
( heavy gardening) and realised that the soup tastes waaaaaaaaaay better when made with 250 ml of water, not 250 fluid ounzes...........
fren
stupid.
have weighed meself about 3 times a day, thats just wrong isnt it?

Shhhh don't tell the others, but I weigh myself after my first pee of the morning , and sometimes before or after bath on a night as I know now how much weight I can lose overnight

I am very close to one of my goals, so I am watching the ounces at the mo
;)

squitter bot has already passed mate, now, nowt today, not even a rabbit poo ( i laffed reading the poo thread) cranked up the water, pounding thick head like a hangover, ramping up to daily exercise now
( heavy gardening) and realised that the soup tastes waaaaaaaaaay better when made with 250 ml of water, not 250 fluid ounzes...........
fren
stupid.

Hangover - normal. Only usually lasts a day.
Lack of poo - Normal. Not much going in, and after digestion, even less to come out.
Soup - I usually use 400ml (100ml Cold, 300ml hot) to make it less gloopy.
Weighing - what the hell. See other thread.

fren
stupid.

Haha that's great :) Bit watery was it?
I wouldn't even weigh myself everyday - I can put on or take off 3 lbs from one day to the next and it's so depressing when you weight yourself and you've put on weight ff's. I used to take 2 senna before weigh day to assist the poo situation but I had to stop doing it - it induced massive food cravings which I don't get otherwise.

This is a great thread. Thank you very much :) xxx

Brilliant thread. Im so dim tho, i find myself looking at this before i decide what kind of soup, shake etc to have LOL. So far your descriptions have been spot on!

Ha ha! Love your tagline

"kitchen Pickers Wear Bigger Knickers"

I am a fairly good girl and sort out all my soups into order so I cant steer away fro
the tom & basil
but I must admit to having one lurking in my drawer at work
yeuk!

I didn't mind them to start with, but the romance is well and truely over
(vile things)

I've been a good girl, and eaten that floating tom & basil from my drawer

Tbh wasn't as bad as the nightmares were telling me
;)

lol well done you. ive had 2 tomato and basil so far. one without any added extras, and it was yuckity yuck. one with salt, pepper, tabasco, you name it, it went in lol, and it was still yuck...oh well haha

Back