This really made me think

Setas

Silver Member
Wonderful Lily posted this on a thread recently. I just love lilys posts they are so thought provoking. I really clicked with this one as its made me realise what has been different for me this time. So come on everyone lets get committed, no more excuses/reasons why we can't(beacause however we dress them up thats what they are - 20 years of them in my case). its not easy but lets get there this time

Committed means do it anyway

You don't usually wait until you feel like going to work. You just go. The same thing is true for visiting your mother or changing dirty diapers. Because you consider these things to be important, you do them regardless of how you feel at the moment.

In the same way, you don't have to feel like working on your weight-loss plan to stick with your program. To improve your commitment, learn to focus on your actions, not just your feelings. On days you're not in the mood for exercising or eating right, tell yourself to do it anyway.

Here's a summary of the differences between people who are interested in their goals compared to those who are committed.

People who are interested in losing weight

1. Stick with it until something better comes along
2. Take action only if they "feel like" doing it
3. Need to see results in order to stay motivated
4. Blame people or circumstances for their struggles
5. Easily give up when they face challenges

People who are committed to losing weight

1. Stick with their plans no matter what
2. Take action whether they feel like doing it or not
3. Assume that if they stay motivated, results will follow
4. Take responsibility for their own actions
5. Keep going in spite of challenges and setbacks

I liked that one too! Lily is a star <3

Me too - I love Lily's posts: a very wise lady indeed!

LOL, thank you but it's not all me (blushing).

I wish I could claim credit for the wisdom - maybe I'd be 9 and a half stone by now if those words were mine :)

They come from a lady called Linda Spangle (someone I'd never heard of until last week) who's written a couple of books about why we struggle to lose weight. Just about everything she says relates to how I feel about food and how I 'use' it. Couple Linda Spangle with Judith Beck and you'd have the perfect diet guru!

sorry Lily - I'm seeing you as the diet guru - appreciate you are getting it from what you have read but its the way you put it together and always have such spot on advice for everyone. You really are so motivating. I hope you are going to be (at least) a CDC at the end of all this!!

Back