Those of you who makes shakes with ice, what blender do you use?

Pinkie :)

Slowly shrinking again!
Hello all!

So... the inevitable happened! My current blender just wasn't up for the job of crushing ice 3 times a day for my ice-shakes! :sigh:

So gotta buy a new one! To be honest, it wasn't really meant for that anyway, so it was only a matter of time... and today, it went 'puff', smelt kinda funny, and then keeled over...

So... I was wondering if anyone could suggest a machine, under £50 (hopefully!), that was man enough for the job?! :D

I know there are a few Kenwood Smoothie Makers which say they crush ice with a pulse setting... Anyone have experience of them? What I was doing was filling the jug on my blender with ice, up to the 800ml line, then adding some water, few crushed sweeteners, and my pack... and then just blend for 5 mins... made it like ice-cream, albeit in a very noisy, unhappy way!! Lol...

Not sure if I could use the 'crush ice' setting on these smoothie makers in the same way though... :confused:

So, yeah... any suggestions, lovely laydees? :)

TIA xx

Hey Pinkie - I use a Vita-Mix 5000 machine which my flatmate bought from the idea home exhibition a few years ago but it was horribly expensive. Is absolutely brilliant though... :)

Sadly I don't think I can help much here as I use a blender that's about 150 years old and bless it, it's still going strong! lol
Try Braun honey. The Germans are good with their appliances ;) xx

Sent from my iPhone 4 using MiniMins

Sorry hon, I have the £5 Tesco Value hand blender with chilled water which tastes good to me, x

Yeh. I got a kenwood smoothie maker also. Don't put loads of ice in though. Xx

I do have a Kenwood smoothie maker and hate it, it has to be the most awful machine to clean!!

I use a cheap handblender which to be fair does a fab job I usually put 4 or 5 ice cubes in and its coped so far! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Smoothie 2go

I've got the Kenwood Smoothie 2go, which you can put ice in. I've never put the volume of ice in that you mention though. I like my shakes topped up with hot water from the kettle, as I'm always SO cold!

I did burn out a Breville blender ages ago - blitzing frozen berries - pre-LL days.

I guess a blender with a powerful motor and big blades would be favourite.

Hey Pinkie - I use a Vita-Mix 5000 machine which my flatmate bought from the idea home exhibition a few years ago but it was horribly expensive. Is absolutely brilliant though... :)
Oooh... Just googled it and it sure is a fancy schmancy one! Bet it makes a meeeean shake Twinny! Mmmmm! :D

:eek: But err, yes! £599 is slightly beyond my budget! lol... ;)

xx

Sadly I don't think I can help much here as I use a blender that's about 150 years old and bless it, it's still going strong! lol
Try Braun honey. The Germans are good with their appliances ;) xx

Sent from my iPhone 4 using MiniMins
Hehe... that's true... can't fault German engineering! ;)

I'm tempted by a Russell Hobbs one (not very German!), which I've just found at my local Sainsburys... Seems to get good reviews, has 'ice-crushing' button thingy, and is mid-range kinda price... (excluding the sort that Twinny has, obviously!) Lol... ;)

All hail your 150 year old blender though! I have some hair straighteners like that... I don't think they'll ever die!! :D

xx

Last edited:
Ok... so... think I may pop to get the Russell Hobbs one... It has quite good sized blade, and is 500w so much more powerful than the one which just keeled over (was 300w)...

I will also try and smash the ice up a bit before I put it in, and use smaller amounts at a time... That should do it!

Thanks again!! :D

xx

This one:

...P.S. Sorry about food in pic (only pic I could find!)... if you don't wanna see food, look away............

NOW!!!

2ca8c2207ef11f97e8032af39a9cd5acd137229b.jpg

I swear by the smoothies 2go,blends in a detachable cup with handle and a drinking spout lid to take away with you also crushes ice fab.
You can get 1 for under £30! From amazon,comet or Argos!
Also good for doing a hot shake but I personally don't like them hot.
Sexy xx

Cheers Sexychick... Will check them out as well then, as a few of you do swear by them, it seems... They have them at Sainsburys too, so will have a little look in a bit!! :D

xx

I have a Cookworks blender (it's a cheapish range that Argos do). It crushes ice and has seen me through 5 years so far. Think it cost about £15. RIP your blender :(

Back