Thoughts on 'chatters'

JoRoger

Following on from the two threads yesterday about reasons why some MM's don't like attending meetings, and one of the main reasons coming back that people can't stand the chatting when the Consultant is talking, during lunch with my friend today who happens to be a Consultant I asked her what her take on it is.

She said that she makes little comments to the class in general like 'did you hear that at the back there', which usually makes the chatters stop, or if she can hear that the talkers are actually talking about whatever she is talking about in the lesson (for want of a better word) she'll invite them to discuss with the rest of the class what they are discussing, if that makes sense. She said this seems to sort the situation out after a few weeks once people realise that she will bring it up however much in a jokey way.

I think this just goes to prove that it definitely is the Consultant that makes all the difference to how rewarding the class part of the WI is, I know with my friend she is a very commanding, school-teacher type of person, so this helps.

On another note though she did mention (when I said about MM's and our thoughts on meetings etc) that she was surprised to think that talkers would put people off, and that from now on she would mention in her talk to newcomers that she always tries to make light of any such situations and usually manages to stamp things out. I thought it made for a very interesting discussion and just thought I'd pass it on :D

My C points out the chatters, they soon stop with embarrassment!

See that is where my WW C failed, she was such a weakling, she just let them get on with it which ruined the class for everyone.

What does your C say to the chatters? I think I'd hold up a wooden spoon or something!

my C just says - 'you are all a little too chatty tonight' and 'can we all keep to one conversation please'

she is not one to be messed with.

It must be hard to control a large group of people when you get 'chat pockets' starting! She seems to manage well though.

There's quite a lot of this at my group, I find it really rude and hard to concentrate but then I think I'm just being a bit over the top. It reminds of being at school lol. Glad to see I'm not the only one though :)

Emily

There's quite a lot of this at my group, I find it really rude and hard to concentrate but then I think I'm just being a bit over the top. It reminds of being at school lol. Glad to see I'm not the only one though :)

Emily

You're definitely not being over the top - you don't pay £5 to hear others chatting away!

Ellebear your C sounds quite scary! But it is better to get the ground rules in from the start otherwise people just don't stop. My old mouse of a WW C would just half look in the direction of the chatters but never say anything, then she wondered why out of around 60 members only 15 maximum in the end bothered to stay.

It's really rubbed off on me today how totally 100% SW my friend is! Even tho she had a reasonably naughty dinner, she didn't beat herself up about it, just said, right thats my syns for the day, no afters for me, syn free dinner, what a nice way to spend my syns. How totally in the zone is that - no wonder she lost so much so quickly and has managed to keep it off. Very inspiring day.

she looks percivically at the person so everyone knows, and says comment about it and she stops speaking as well until people shut up. She also makes whispering noises but most of the time people are respectful they just get excitable about what is being talked about as my C is really relaxed and friendly enviroment.

At my old WW meeting it was usually the clerks at the back of the room gossiping away loudly. The leader appeared to give them 3 strikes.

"ahem"

"could you keep it down please" and

"OY SHUT UP!!!!"

:D :D

My C actually says "Quiet please, you can talk at the end" or "Ladies, please" and indicates towards the sound of chatter.

My consultant says quite loudly 'ooo so a syn free chocolate bar' or soemthing along those lines and whoever is chatting shuts up immediatly to hear about this non existent chocolate bar haha!

I hate people that start chatting ın the middle of group..ignorance ıs my pet hate anyway and i dont pay 9 euros a week to listen to that!!i want to get the most out of group.my consultant soon shuts them up..in a nice way of course :)

My consultant says quite loudly 'ooo so a syn free chocolate bar' or soemthing along those lines and whoever is chatting shuts up immediatly to hear about this non existent chocolate bar haha!

ha ha thats ingenius! (spelt wrong i think i am obv not ingenius)

x

Back