Thoughts on maintaining three months on...

irish molly

Maintaing LT loss on GL
Hi All, just thought I'd give some random thoughts on maintaining after three months at it. Strictly speaking I am still trying to lose weight. I did six months on lipotrim and lost 87 lbs in total. I then decided to face the real world of food and also tackle the remainder of my target loss. After a lot of thought and research I decided to follow a GL plan and I now post mainly on the GL forum.
Three months on and I have maintained my 87 lbs loss and added another 13lbs to that. Some weeks I lose a pound or two and others I stay the same. Occasionally, I have a gain if I decide to pig out a bit that week.
Maintaining is a matter of constantly being aware of food. Unless you are a stick insect, you just have to make sure that calories in are less than calories out, otherwise you record a gain. The mix of foods is so important as well. GL gives me a proper balance and keeps me feeling full, mostly!!
I follow a couple of simple rules:
1)Almost no bread/potato/pasta or rice. I very rarely have any of them and do not miss them. Instead of these I have lentils/beans/quinoa/oatcakes/rye crackers.
2)80/20 rule. I try to be good 80% of the time and allow for being a bit piggy the other 20% of the time. A week I overeat will be a week I gain, so I have to plan for that.
3) Eating regularly. I used to skip meals and then find myself ravenous later. Now I have, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
4) Portion sizes. I find it a constant challenge to watch the portion sizes. A 120g of chicken or fish is TINY but it is enough.
5)Watch the snacks. I weaken some days and have too many snacks late in the evening. Not good, so have to keep a handle on that
6) Keep up the water intake. I find drinking at least two litres of water every day really helps keep the munchy attacks at bay.
Whilst I'd like to lose weight a bit more quickly, I am very happy to be maintaining my LT losses and losing a bit more even if it is at a slower rate.
Biggest lesson of all for me is to have patience!! Not easy for me!

Thanks for that Irish...it really helps to see what you have already achieved through LT and how you are still losing using GL.

Some really good tips there!!!!!! And they all make sense.

I struggle with the no bread/pasta/pots....I think esp on the potatoes because I grow them and such a shame that I dont get to eat them, although in saying that I actually dont have that much! But, I think the alternatives are good and I am sure it is just habit. Did you miss them to begin with?

You have done INCREDIBLY WELL!!! You really have. Was looking to see a photo of you but sadly couldnt find one.....:( would be nice to see a Before and After..maybe I am being thick and missed any you have posted.

Thanks again for your take as you are always so encouraging to others and to me!!

How much more do you want to lose now?
100lbs!! WAW!!!!! WAW!!!!! WAW!!!!!!

Iris, I loved potatoes and pasta, basically any carb rich dish. The beauty of TFR was that it refreshed my palate. I had broken the habit of eating those kinds of foods. I very occasionally have a couple of chips off OH's plate but never ever order a portion. When out, I ask for an extra portion of veg or salad instead of potato and it fills me up. Do I miss them? Hand on heart, I have to say no. I cook those kinds of food for others but I will have my portion of quinoa or lentils instead. What I find helps is having some precooked(quinoa or lentils will keep for a few days in the fridge) then it does not leave me that I can be tempted.
I bake brown soda bread and spelt bread for OH and occasionally have one slice with blackberry jam when it comes out of the oven. Yum!! my only indulgence!!
Have to get round to photos, card reader on laptop is not working or not reading my SD card.
AS to what I want to still lose, about 14lbs will leave me at my average adult weight. I am strongly built and at my fittest and in my twenties was 12 1/2 to 13st. I don't think it is realistic for me to try for more than that as I could not maintain it. I have severe back pain and tendonitis so I'm very limited on activities.
thanks for the great encouragement

Great post Irish. You really have done so well at this losing and then maintaining.

Like Iris said, some really good tips in that post.

Good luck with losing your last stone, if anyone can do it you can!

Really encouraging post and once again, well done! What a fantastic job you have done and it just goes to show that you don't have to put back on all the weight you lose on LT when you finish this, something a lot of newbies should read I think!

Iris, I loved potatoes and pasta, basically any carb rich dish. The beauty of TFR was that it refreshed my palate. I had broken the habit of eating those kinds of foods. I very occasionally have a couple of chips off OH's plate but never ever order a portion. When out, I ask for an extra portion of veg or salad instead of potato and it fills me up. Do I miss them? Hand on heart, I have to say no. I cook those kinds of food for others but I will have my portion of quinoa or lentils instead. What I find helps is having some precooked(quinoa or lentils will keep for a few days in the fridge) then it does not leave me that I can be tempted.
I bake brown soda bread and spelt bread for OH and occasionally have one slice with blackberry jam when it comes out of the oven. Yum!! my only indulgence!!
Have to get round to photos, card reader on laptop is not working or not reading my SD card.
AS to what I want to still lose, about 14lbs will leave me at my average adult weight. I am strongly built and at my fittest and in my twenties was 12 1/2 to 13st. I don't think it is realistic for me to try for more than that as I could not maintain it. I have severe back pain and tendonitis so I'm very limited on activities.
thanks for the great encouragement

WAW...that is self restraint for sure Irish! I reckon it can be done...maybe I just make excuses, although I didnt miss carbs when I was on TFR so why should I now :D But cutting them out and having a fear is two different things and i had a fear so I suppose I dont want to cut them out completely. Actually, I remember when I was doing Rosemary Conley (many years ago) and I came to a standstill....the woman taking the class suggested cutting down on carbs once a day and I did and I started losing..mmm....food for thought, so to speak!

You have done incredibly well and that stone will come off; in your time and that is the beauty of it. You are being so realistic with you and your body! Love it!!

As Bev says; such an encouraging post and newbies and those starting their refeed/maintenance journey need to have a good read at your post. Maintaining is where the hard work begins, but proof that it can be done with a little tweaking and good choices! Well done again sweetie!!!!

AND HURRY UP WITH THOSE PHOTOS :D

Iris, Bev I am overwhemed by such kind and supportive comments.
I definitiely believe we all have to rely on two key things when we try to lose weight. Firstly, we have to be realisitic about what we can achieve and this is dependent on our age, build,lifestyle and level of activity that we can and will sustain.
Secondly, we must revaluate what we eat, when we eat and why we eat. In this regard, I thought TFR was a magnificent tool in that it breaks all our bad habits over a period of weeks/months. Time on TFR should be spent not just relishing our new bodies but in contemplation of how we eat going forward. None of us will be saints or perfect in every way. As people who tend to put on weight we will always have to be vigilant or allow for periods when we will gain a bit too much. The challenge for us all is managing this!!!! Oh what a challenge! but one we must all grapple with.
thanks again for the lovely kind words

Your posts are really making sense to me. Since I mucked up maintenance last time this has really made me think, just what I need. I've really got to get my head around all this and to be honest after mucking up last time, a lot has changed in my head this time round.

Thanks again for your posts, they really are so inspiring to somebody like me.

Brilliant post Molly - thanks for sharing and wow! well done on your losses :) :)

I think im guna have to look into this low GI buisness. Im struggling with just 'healthy' eating. I think id find it much better if i had set plans and set foods that i can and cant eat. Might pop on over to the low GI board ... assuming there is one on here? xxx

Oh, you talk such sense, and I did a lot of soul searching, etc on TFR, but unfortunately I seem to sabotage my good intentions every time! But, you seem so level headed, and well, honest with yourself and what you can achieve.....leaf, book, come to mind there!!!!!

Yes, GI is defo good....I have one of the books, think I need to have a wee read at that again too as I have to confess that I never felt hungry on it, although hunger is never my problem :eek: I binge when I am full to bursting..mmmmmmmmmm

We will all be takin a trip on the GI boards and having a peek at this rate!!

Boo!! Ive just been over to the GI board - no action whatsoever besides molly's diary! :giggle:

Just been looking it up online, i am actually so confused!

All i'm 'understanding' is no breads, pastas etc and have lentils, pulses, sweet potatoes and plenty of vegetables, salads and meats, poultry and eggs.

Is that right?

Tanya, yep basically cut out all very starchy foods or at least drastically cut them back. This is how I approach it as well as keeping cals to 1300 a day. You can get very tied up with which food is low or high gl etc.
I make it simple for myself. For breakfast have oat based cereals like porridge or muesli 40 g is a serving.
substitute potato/pasta/rice with quinoa. It is very versatile. Have a curry made with lentils or a can of mixed beans. Its very filling and you can have the whole tin.
For snacks have an apple or 100g strawberries with a dessert spoon of mixed seeds
Read up on Nigel Denby or Patrick Holford as these are the ones I have read and find very helpful.

What about bran flakes? I have these for breakkie just because i need the fibre! oh and theyre delish! :p

Is my lunch any good .... i had a baked chicken breast, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, sweetcorn and chickpeas?

I have this most days but vary the meat. Like tomorrow i have salmon planned. Other days it'll be grilled pork chop or baked turkey breast.

I have an apple and a lf fruit yog later on and take a clemintine to work.

Does that sound ok?
Hope you don't mind me asking ya!

How do you make the curries with beans etc? Do you have any recipes to share, if ya dont mind? x

Irish - you've done sooo well!! :D:D

GI IS the answer imho - it's just finding the best way forward for each of us at this moment in time. xx

What about bran flakes? I have these for breakkie just because i need the fibre! oh and theyre delish! :p
Bran flakes are okayish but only 35g is a portion. Try porridge, you can have 40g with a dessert spoon of dried fruit with it. Way more filling!!
Is my lunch any good .... i had a baked chicken breast, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, sweetcorn and chickpeas?
Lunch is very GI friendly but what are the portions? All the cals count. Chicken should be a scant 100g as you are still trying to lose and not just maintain.
I have this most days but vary the meat. Like tomorrow i have salmon planned. Other days it'll be grilled pork chop or baked turkey breast.
Likewise these are good but keep to 100g!!
I have an apple and a lf fruit yog later on and take a clemintine to work.
Try adding 15g of mixed seeds(pumpkin,flax,sunflower,sesame) These help keep you fuller and balance the GL value of your sweet treat.
Does that sound ok?
Hope you don't mind me asking ya!

How do you make the curries with beans etc? Do you have any recipes to share, if ya dont mind? x
Will post some recipes for you.

Irish - you've done sooo well!! :D:D

GI IS the answer imho - it's just finding the best way forward for each of us at this moment in time. xx
Jan, I've taken a leaf out of your book as you seem to pretty much follow GL mostly. You're a long way down the maintaining road and know how to manage your diet so well. You're right, we each have to find the best way that suits us as individuals.

Tanya, these are some of my recipes. Basically, I fry off the veg in a tsp oil, then add the rest. At the end stir in the creme fraiche and chilli sauce(if included). Experiment with herbs and spices to suit your taste. I batch cook the quinoa: Cook it like rice, boil 120g quinoa in twice its volume of water. I do it in a pot with a lid. Simmer for 10mins and turn off heat. It should have absorbed all the water.
All these quantities are for one portion.

Salmon Dinner :
Red Pepper, 0.25 medium
Smoked Salmon 60 g
Quinoa, 40g dry weight cooked in twice its volume of water.
Creme Fraiche, 1 dessertsp
Celery Stalks, 1 stalks
Onion Red, 25 gr
Sugarsnap Peas, 50 g
Sweet chilli sauce 1 dessertsp
Total Cals 380

Chicken Dinner:
Cooked Chicken Breast, 4oz
Celery Stalks, 1 stalks
Creme Fraiche 1 dessertsp
Pepper - Red, 0.25 medium
Fennel, 4 oz
Juice of quarter lemon
Chilli flakes and balck pepper to taste
Total Cals 243

Prawn dinner:
Large King Prawns, 125 g
Celery-2 Medium Stalks,
Onion,1/2,Chopped,
Fennel, 4 oz
Tomatoes, Tinned, Chopped, 1/2 can
Creme Fraiche, 1 tbsp
pepper
dessert spoon chilli sauce optional
total cals 270
Serve with 40g quinoa and add 150cals

Chickpea Dinner
Celery Stalks, 1 stalks
Courgette, 0.25
Chickpeas, Canned, Drained Weight, 150 g
Blue Dragon - Thai Green Curry Sauce, 60 g
Onion 1/2 medium
Total cals 270

Some more recipes:

Turkey Dinner
Bulgur - Dry, 25 g
Turkey Breast, Roasted, Meat Only, Without Skin, 75 grams
Celery Stalks, 1 stalks
Pepper - Red, 0.3 medium
Onion Red, 50 grams
Courgette, 100g
Creme Fraiche 1 tbsp
100ml chicken stock
Total: 283

Lentil Curry
Tinned Chopped Tomatoes, 0.5 tin
Puy Lentils, 40 g
Courgette, 100 g
Creme Fraiche, 1 tbsp
Onion Red, 50 grams
Chicken stock 100mls
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
chilli flakes
bay leaf
Vary the herbs and spices to suit your own taste. I sometimes use a garlic clove, chilli flakes and a dessertspoon of sweet chilli sauce.
Total cals 250

Cannelini Bean dinner
Cannelini beans 1/2 tin (130 g)
Creme Fraiche, 1 tbsp
Baby Spinach, 80 g
Courgettes, 100 g
Garlic clove
1/2 small onion chopped
Mae Ploy - Sweet Chilli Sauce, 1 tbsp
Total Cals 418

Thanks chick :)

Think i might lower my portion of meat then.
My salmon is always around 100g but my chicken and pork is always 1 whole chicken breast - average size from a pack of 3. Always around 5oz which is about 170g.

Guna make a bean chilli the weekend but using a ww sauce - although might be brave and try it from scratch :)

Nothing wrong with a whole chicken breast Tan - I don't think you need to reduce that - I have at least that much. Don't tend to eat much red meat these days but if I did I wouldn't have as much.

Great recipes Irish! I'll have a good look when I've got more time & no rugrats round my ankles ;) xx

Hi Tanya,Jan. The reason the portions of meat/fish/poultry are less is twofold. Quinoa or pulses have protein in them hence I reduce the amount of fish/poultry to take account of this so overall the total protein is fine. Also as I am still trying to lose weight I want to watch overall calorie intake as well. It would be grand to increase amounts a little if you are lucky to be just maintaining. wish I was at that stage but in time.............

Back