Three or four pouches a day?

potter

Hi all

This is my first post. I am new to the CD, I saw my consultant this morning and have come away armed with products and information and can't wait to get started from tomorrow.

I have a question though. I am 5ft 4ins tall with a BMI of 48 (ouch!!) I expected, and was prepared, to be on sole source with 3 products a day. Sources I have looked at suggest 4 pouches a day are recommended for men and also women over 5ft 8 ins. However, my consultant has recommended I have 4 pouches a day. The main reason for this being that she says in her experience people lose more on 4 pouches than on 3 pouches. I agreed to take her recommendation and start on 4.

Has anyone else had experience of this? Should I be more assertive and insist on the 3 pouches a day plan? Will having 4 rather than 3 pouches significantly affect my weight loss. I am ashamed to admit it but I'm afraid the cynic in me in wondering whether my consultant is recommending 4 pouches as it then means she sells more product, so earns more commission.

Sorry my first post is asking so many questions, I hope once I get into this I'll be ale to help answer some too!

Thanks everyone :)

I've not heard people lose more on four than three. However i'd just suck it and see - you might find that you want the fourth shake - some days i have an extra shake or a small salad to get me through. I think it's about finding what works for you hun x

Don't even worry about it. Take each day as it comes. Buy enough products for four a day but just see how u feel, if you need four have four one day if you only need three the next day have three the next day. Week one I did 2 days ss+ and 5 days ss. See how u get on xxx

My CDC says that you should use the fourth if you start feeling you may fall of the wagon- its better to have a sachet than something naughtier!! :)

4 pouches is still only about 600 cals a day and minimum carbs so I agree go with it. You may find after you hit ketosis you don't need 4, as you will feel less hungry. I have my own porridge for breakfast and 3 pouches and I have lost 1st 9lbs in just over 5 weeks,
Keep strong
hugs
xx

You should be on 810 if your bmi is over 40, my bmi was 52 when I started so had to start on 1200 and work my way down and was not allowed to start on sole sorce Untill my bmi reached 40, I would stick to the advice of your cdc and have the 4, gd luck on your journey!

You really should be on step 2

Trust your CDC ...she's been there, done that and probably worn the t shirt tilit has holes in it!!
hugs
xx

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I really appreciate it! I'ver been looking at some of your stories and the great progress you are making is a real inspiration.

I guess I'm just feeling confused because some of the advice my CDC gave is different to that I read online before starting. I was surprised that she recommended stage 1, as I thought at my BMI it had to be stage 2 or above. And to be honest if I had to have a higher calorie intake I think I'd rather have 3 pouches and a meal rather than 4 pouches.

I'm now into day 2 and am feeling okay, no real hunger or side effects. The main problem is that I'm struggling to get the food down, To me it tastes really vile and I hate the consistency even though I've been using a hand blender to mix it thoroughly. So far I've had Maple and Pecan Porridge (horrid). ordinary porridge (less horrid but still not nice), banana shake (made me gag, had to hold nose and down it in one!) and veg soup (more bearable than the others but still not nice).

I've got a selection of lots of different products and am just going to work my way through them and hope I can find at least a couple that are palatable!

Did anyone else find this at the beginning? Is it an acquired taste, and did anyone else hate the pouches at first but grow to like them? Is there a consensus about what are the 'best' flavours? I'm going to try the mushroom soup for lunch so wish me luck :)

Thanks again to everyone, I am so happy I found these boards and know you lot are going to be a great source of inspiration and advice on this journey.

I hated all soups and porridge and mainly stick to chocolate tetras and mint choc, chocolate and banana shakes! Try using a blender it is more hassle but I find mixes the shakes up better, hope u manage to find something u like xx

I have a bar for breakfast, dislike the peanut one now. Banana tetra for lunch in coffee and strawberry tetra for tea in coffee. This will be me till I get to goal

hey hows your diet going i also thought you would have 2 be on step 2 as ive only just been allowed to go on ss as my bmi has reached 39...hope your enjoying your packets a bit more ..i think the porridge is vile i love the skaes blended up with ice my favourite is the cappuccino and i dont even like coffee i have 1 for breakfast everyday :) xxxx

Thanks Liveonce. I'm still on the straight and narrow, Day 8 now.
I was really chuffed that I los 15lbs at my 1st weigh in. I expected to lose more than normal with it being the first week and all, but I was thinking maybe half a stone, not 15lbs :D

Interesting about the cappuccino shake, I'll have to give that a try. I worked my way through all the other flavours and didn't like any, I think it's the consistency more than anything so I might try blending them with ice as others have mentioned. My consultant has started me on the bars (though I've just started week 2) and so far I think they are all yummy :) So typical plan at the moment is bar for breakfast then soups for lunch and tea. Oriental chilli and tomato are my favourites. I just keep telling myself this isn't really "food" it's just a way of getting the vitamins down.

My consultant seems to be doing a lot of things "off plan" and I'm still on SS, alternating between 3 and 4 pouches a day. Hopefully it won't be too long until my BMI is below 40 so I can legitimately be on SS, having got in the zone I don't think I like the idea of having to go up to step 2 just yet.

Well done potter. Whatever you did works so keep it up.

HI, I am 5ft 7" and have been on 4 products since day one. My dr suggested it would be better and Ih ave lost an average of 3-4 lbs a week (5stone 5lbs since January). My BMA was 40 point something but only for the first week, so if you're happy I would go with 4 - you can always cut down if you need to!

Keep up the good work - the chocolate shake as hot chocolate is delicious. The only one I liked to start with. And I still dont EVER have the shakes cold. Can't bear them. I am sure by now you have found your way - and the bars! I din't like them to start with - and still don't like the chewey ones. Beware of the spicy tomato soup - you have to mix to a paste first otherwise it is like drinking sand!!!!!!!

Hope you've settled into it now.

I have just started but so far I've found the mint choc one to be by far the best, and I normally really dislike chocolate and favour savoury lol! My CC is coming to swap all my soups and porridges for the mint choc shakes tomorrow as I've run out already lol! I use a hand blender too

Not hungry as such really, just missing food but trying to clean to keep busy. I just hope I can lose a good amount this week like you did (well done!!) and then keep it up xxx

Last edited:
Back