Throwing leftovers away.

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by tarotwoman, 18 February 2010 Social URL.

1. tarotwoman

tarotwoman Loves life

Start Weight:
    11st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming magazine club. Out of date now but this diet worked for me in the past.
    Does anyone else have a problem throwing leftovers away? At the moment I'm weighing all the food I put on my plate but sometimes there's just a bit of something left over - not enough for a meal.

If it's fish, chicken or meat, that's fine - my cat eats it. Otherwise I seem to stick it in a tupperware dish and put it in the fridge. A few days later I end up throwing it away. I should just throw it away in the first place but even though I know it'll end up in the bin, I still do the stupid saving it thing.

Does anybody else do this, if not how do you make yourself throw it away?

Tracey

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. chocolatecat

chocolatecat One day at a time :)

Start Weight:
    16st11lb
    Current Weight:
    15st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2.5lb(7.02%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    You should use them up - it'll save you money! If it's vegetables, use them. Add it to rice cooked in stock to make savoury rice... use as much as you can but dont worry about throwing little amounts away.

If you're a fan, make bubble & squeak with your leftovers - just make sure it is at least half potato :)

choc x

4. Just Peachy

Just Peachy Slowly But Surely

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(17.73%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting/Exercise
    I have a big problem with throwing away/wasting food. I'll keep just about everything and anything, mainly by principle. Why throw something away that's still perfectly good? It just takes imagination as to how to use it really, or have someone else eat it. I always have my flatmates to eat whatever I won't have.

5. pesty

pesty Fighting the bulge

Start Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(5.63%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I NEVER throw away left overs! If its a small amount ill have it as a snack, if ive got lots of little bits i make one meal out of it! or add veg, etc to make it a new meal.

I agree not to throw them away i feel like its a waste of money :)

6. tarotwoman

tarotwoman Loves life

Start Weight:
    11st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming magazine club. Out of date now but this diet worked for me in the past.
    It's never vegetables coz I can pile them on my plate. It's stupid things like potato (only small amounts that I've cut off so that I'm eating the right amount). The other night I put sweetcorn and peas in (they don't count as veg coz they've too many calories). I haven't eaten them coz the only thing I have them with is fish pie and I only have it about once a week so they'll be no good.

If it's a full meals worth I'll freeze it but I just seem to keep things that I'm never going to eat and for the amount it's not worth it. I really need to just throw them away straight away.

Tracey

7. tarotwoman

tarotwoman Loves life

Start Weight:
    11st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Oh, I wish I had flatmates to eat them up! I suppose it's that I feel guilty if I eat it (coz it's not doing my weight any good) and I feel guilty if I throw it away. So I opt for waiting till it's inedible then I can throw it away without the guilt.

Tracey

8. chocolatecat

Start Weight:
    16st11lb
    Current Weight:
    15st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2.5lb(7.02%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    if it really is just tiny amounts then just throw it away but if its more than a tiny bit then you should try to use them up :)

9. tarotwoman

tarotwoman Loves life

Start Weight:
    11st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    It is tiny amounts and I shouldn't keep them. I'm gona have to grit my teeth and throw them away.

Tracey

10. hchappyh

hchappyh Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Diet:
    GoLower
    I very rarely throw food away. If it's too small a portion, I freeze it and let it add up together, within a few days there is generally enough to feed my 2 kids even if I need to add a bit extra veg or meat. When I add extra, I'm careful as too how much as then I can't re-freeze the defrosted food - if you get my waffle!
    Kids love left over and they dont even realise it.
    xx

11. Just Peachy

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(17.73%)
    Diet:
    Yeah, even if it was just peas, sweetcorn, and potato, I'd freeze it and make a lovely soup at some point.

But like you say Tracey, better in the bin then on the hips!

12. sugar_fiend

sugar_fiend Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    If it's just a little bit, I would probably throw it away unless I knew I would want to use it the next day or so! I only really keep things if I have enough for another portion. It's not often I make too much these days, but I probably should start freezing more leftovers.

My dilemma with throwing things away is at the moment I'm only putting on the plate what I can actually eat for the day (calorie-wise) so that means if i get to my evening meal or a later snack and need to bump my calories up a bit for the day to make 1000 min and want to leave something on my plate I can never work out whether to leave some because I'm full, or to eat it because I haven't eaten much over the day.

13. shelz

shelz Silver Member

I find it better to throw them away than to eat them. I find myself throwing lots away in the family home, none of which is food I have purchased for myself. My mother seems to buy an awful lot on impulse and end up with a good third of it all going off.

14. chocolatecat

Start Weight:
    16st11lb
    Current Weight:
    15st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2.5lb(7.02%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I was like that for the first year I was married - it's difficult adjusting to buying everything yourself lol!

I just plan my meals out for the week and make sure that all the fresh stuff is used up and everything else can go in the freezer and be carried over to the next week and saves us a wee bit of money!

I've even managed to save at least £30/week shopping like this!

15. Just Peachy

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(17.73%)
    Diet:
    Wow that's quite a substantial amount chocolatecat!

I find I'm spending a lot less on food and I'm not going to the shops all the time, who would've thought? I thought it was normal the amounts I spent and how often I went but apparently not.

16. shelz

shelz Silver Member

My fiances dad goes everyday after work without fail. Seems he treats it as some sort of ritual - mind you he is 75, probably just does it to keep routine and keep going.

I find I will go a lot less often than before. When I do go I spend ages looking at the shelfs and the calorie content of food that I dont end up purchasing much at all. :)

17. hchappyh

hchappyh Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Diet:
    GoLower
    I find I am saving on my weekly shopping bill but that is more because Go Lower provides with most of my food, I just habe to add in my fresh fruit and veg.

However, my hubby usually does the shopping because he's better at finding a bargain than I am. We also make a point of doing our shopping on a weekly basis. Usually on a Thursday on his way home from work. Then we have fresh stuff over the weekend. If we run out of something, we make do without it - other than milk. I can never just pop to the shops, so spend more that way. Our once a week thing seems to be working.
    xx

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. chocolatecat

Start Weight:
    16st11lb
    Current Weight:
    15st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2.5lb(7.02%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    The only reason I'm saving so much is that I would buy loads extra and it would end up being composted or chucked out!

Now am planning meals and eating less we're saving a fortune!

I go on a Friday with my mother in law to the farm shop for all our veggies and eggs and then to the supermarket for everything else. That way we have plenty to go around for the weekend.

I avoid the running out of milk and having to pop to the shops by buying extra milk every week and freezing it just in case!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.