Thyroid

kirsty_baird_26

Gold Member
Hi
Been going to doctors since iv been 16 with borderline underactive thyroid!
Not managed to lose weight properly despite having trying slimming world a few times, calorie counting, dieticians etc
Started to get symptoms again so went back to doctor and this time was called back as its got worse tsh 6.9 again told nothing can be done about it and to go back in 3 months.
Really gettin to me been goin 9 years now!
Anyone else any advice or explain what this means?
He said it will definetly go under properly but need to wait till then but im sick gaining weight when i eat healthy and exercise everyday, cold all the time, have skin tags, flaky skin, spots, cold all the time pretty much some of the synptoms
Thanks

Sorry hun, I don't have any advice but didn't want to read and run. Thyroid conditions make losing weight so so difficult. I know thyroxine helps with an underactive thyroid so I'm puzzled as to why your doctor hasn't prescribed it. Did he explain why?

gettingfit said:
I know nothing about Thyroid but read stories to do with paleo and this woman had Thyroid problem and took medication.When she went paleo she came off them.
Paleo Helps Suzanne Get Off Thyroid Medication

Might be worth changing you diet.Don't eat wheat,soy,yeast or have you already tried that.

Ill give that a go its never been suggested to me before thanks

They won't prescribe medication for a fluctuating result. My mum has had over and under active thyroid for nearly 30 years . I can't remember which ind it is now. I know it was one thing and they gave her a 'nuclear' medication that they said would either cure it or she would be on tastes gor life. It didn't work and now it's the other one and she is on tablets for life.
For years my docs have been testing me for thyroid as well. It's frustrating as it fluctuates but I do know that the tablets won't instantly make the weight drop off. They're not a cure all for your weight issues I'm afraid. Thyroid is just an issue that makes losing weight harder but not impossible. You will still need to work at it. There are foods that ate naturally high in thyroxine that you can include in your diet or you can get thyroxine from a health shop. But diet is the best way to do it anyway. It will be slow but is worth it. Don't wait for the doctor to start losing weight. Because the tablets aren't there for that.

Good luck :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Im not waiting on the doctors to prescribe anything to me iv been trying to lose weight for years! the only way iv ever lost and kept weight off was eating 800-1000 calories a day! I cant lose on slimming world etc as i lose around half a stone then stay the same and it doesnt move at all! Iv had to give my diet recently to a dietician for 6 months i went to her once a month and even she could see no reasona why i dont lose weight

Example

Yday i ate

Breakfast grapes and strawberries

Snack weight watchers yoghurt

Lunch Packet of turkey and an apple

Snack grapes and strawberries

Dinner chicken and veg pasta

This is how i normally eat i exercise at least 1 hour a day also

Its so frustrating

Hi hun, I've been trying to lose weight since I had my son 5 years ago and no 'normal diet' worked, eventually I got that fed up I went on a vlcd an managed to lose weight on it, but I wasn't in the right frame of mine and put it bak on, tried 'normal diets' again and once more they didn't work, so went bak to vlcd, lost 3.5 stone and managed to keep it off, want to lose another 2 stone and I've tried loads of diets again like weigt watchers etc and again nothing works, so I have just been tested for Thyroid but anyway my point of the post is if nothing's working and ur already eating so little which isn't good for you maybe try a vlcd? They arnt for everybody but they do work for people who struggle to lose weight the normal way no matter how hard we try, I did slim and save, really tasty products and u can have a meal at night :) xxxx

Your not eating enough.Looks like your breakfast and lunch are what I would call snacks.

Add some cream,yoghurt or coconut milk to your fruit.
Lunch have a salad with that packet of turkey.
Dinner-- how big a portion are you having?

Are you losing any inches?

Sorry at breakfast i also have yoghurt on my fruit! Was on phone and rushing this morning

Lunch i used to have a salad with the turkey and tried for a few months and didnt lose anything at all :( im also not losing inches.

Dinner im having just a dinner sized plate not overloaded 1 portion of pasta last night (1 handful as recommended by dietician, 1 chicken breast and lots of vegetables to bulk it up)

Today iv had

breakfast - bowl of strawberries/grapes and yoghurt

Snack - yoghurt and bananna

Lunch - packet of chicken and nectraine (I was full after this)

Snack - 2 plums before zumba

Dinner - having a homemade slimming world prawn curry with lots of vegetables and 1 portion of rice

Drinks - water all day i dont like tea or coffee that much

It does, oddly, seem like maybe you're not eating enough - I know it sounds weird, but our bodies go into shut down mode if we try and starve them too much.

I don't know what to advise, but maybe having a few days when you have higher calorie/higher fat days (maybe a division of 3 days higher to four days low cal) may kick start your metabolic rate.

Thanks ill try these suggestions

Im doing 4 day like iv been doing then fri i having a bigger lunch and sat sunday having more!

Its so frustrating because before i was eating breakfast - 2 x small brown bread, cheese triangle and cold meat

Snack - piece of fruit

Lunch - chicken or tuna salad

Snack - fruit

Dinner - healthy dinner

Did that months n still didnt lose

Ill just need mess around see how i manage to lose

Definately not eating enough but also perversely too much fruit. Fruit is high sugar and your body will store it as carbs/fats if it's not being burned off especially if you're not eating enough other foods. Current recommendations are that fruit is no more than 2 of your 5 a day.

Kirsty, TSH 6.9 is horribly high!! And yes, all the symptoms you described can occur with hypothyroidism. Demand another doctor, preferably an endocrinologist. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism over 14 years ago, and have been on levothyroxine sodium since then. My endo strives to keep my TSH levels in the 0.5 to 1.5 range, and that is where I feel best. If I get over 3.0 TSH, I notice that I easily gain weight on 1300 calories a day! Over 4 or 5, I can go into full-blown depression (one of the very common hypothyroid symptoms). Because the hypothyroid person is so much more efficient at handling caloric energy, it's always a struggle to balance calories against nutritional needs.

This is really not something you want to ignore. But your doctor should be doing more than just a TSH test. You should be tested for levels of T4, T3 and Free T4 as well. This will provide a much more accurate picture of what is going on.

Don't eat wheat,soy,yeast
Yes. Especially soy. Soy beans, tofu, soy milk, soy protein - avoid all of those like the plague. Wheat and yeast, not so much unless you are in the habit of eating a lot of it. A little is ok, in normal diet amounts is usually fine for most hypo-t people. Do avoid large quantities of cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower, and dark green leafy vegetables. A little is ok, but large amounts of any of those can actually induce hypothyroidism, at least temporarily.

Try to increase iodine in your diet with fish and shellfish. Iodoized salt, too, if you can find it. (Unless of course you are allergic to iodine, in which case I don't know what to tell you...)

Hi hunni.

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I was 21. Now I'm 29. I have suffered over the years with stomach problems, depression, skin problems, period problems, weight gain and an ill functioning liver now.

the doctors didn't know what was wrong with me and gave me a full blood MOT. That's when they found out about my thyroid. They put me straight on 50mcg of thyroxine. In the first few months I did notice a difference in how I was feeling but then it all changed again. I am now on 150mcg of thyroxine and to be honest my symptoms are still there but not as harsh. I control the stomach problems by not eaten gluten, wheat and carbs 95% of the time. I am (according to the doctor) 3 stone over weight. And in the last week or so I have lost 7lbs! Yay me!! The main problem is it won't stay off. My weight can flucuate quite alot.

I am thinking about going privately for my basal body temperature as I have read online this can be an more accurate way of realising problems with the thyroid where blood tests don't pick it up!

Any questions you want to ask me don't hesitate hunni! It's awful when your levels arn't controlled!!

xx

Thanks for the replys

Chezza welldone on weightloss :)

I have managed to lose 3lbs this week first time in ages iv had a loss

I have been eating roughly

Breakfast - big bowl fruit and yoghurt

Snack - weight watchers yoghurt

Lunch - packet of chicken/turkey with a brown roll and id hungry piece of fruit

Dinner - mixture of slimming world meals, chicken and veg curry with half syn free rice/chips, home made burger and roll with salad and coleslaw, sw spaghetti bolognase, pasta bake etc

If i have been hungry id have something light at night

Drinks - mainly water

Exercise - 1 hour walking each day , zumba each tue and kettleball 1 day a week

Hi Hunni!

Congrats on the 3lb!! I know how hard it can be to lose weight, and maintain!! Such a struggle!

I try not to eat anything carby! Like bread, pasta or potatoes. I find the starchy food items flare up my IBS, as does anything fried and dark cheeses. Also anything pickled sets off my heartburn!! It also helps not eating all of the above with weight loss!! ( I know it's taking pretty much everything nice out of eating! Lol!)

You feeling any better?

xx

Hi Hunni!

Congrats on the 3lb!! I know how hard it can be to lose weight, and maintain!! Such a struggle!

I try not to eat anything carby! Like bread, pasta or potatoes. I find the starchy food items flare up my IBS, as does anything fried and dark cheeses. Also anything pickled sets off my heartburn!! It also helps not eating all of the above with weight loss!! ( I know it's taking pretty much everything nice out of eating! Lol!)

You feeling any better?

xx

It sucks doesnt it lol.

Nah not really :( im constantly freezing and tired all time not too good! Just got to wait till December before i get bloods taken again!!
Hope your good :)

Yeah I'm good at the moment.

It's awful when you constantly feel unwell. can't you get a second opinion from another doctor?

My bloods will be done again next May. Annual now.

Have you tried any natural stuff for thyroid?

xx

Back