Tips for weight loss

Mandlegrot

Gold Member
I have a few that work for me, and was wondering if anyone else had any handy tips for good weight loss?

1. Drink LOTS of water. I drink 8 pints or so a day.

2. Eat meals out of a bowl. I know some people will find this weird but it limits your portion sizes, if that's what your problem is. (its part of mine - being vegan I eat good food, but lots of it!)

3. Buy an old sized plate - compare it to modern ones and you'll soon see why most of us are overweight. I think new ones are 12" and old ones are 9/10"!!

4. Eat with chopsticks - now this isn't certified, but it works for me and I have a theory on it. You know how people say that your stomach kicks in after about 20 mins to tell you you're full? Eating with fork and knife is very quick, you can devour a whole plate of food in minutes, long before your stomach has a chance to give you signals. Well I used to live in Asia (the land of the tiny, small and tres petite) and they all eat with chopsticks - I got quite good with them, but no matter how fast you are, it takes a hell of a lot longer to eat with them. So you appreciate your food more through smaller bites and more chewing and taste, plus give your stomach more time to tell you what its feeling.

Every time you fancy snacking, go do something - I still haven't got my head round this yet but its a matter of breaking old habits. I am going to try and walk round the block each time I get a super urge to eat something bad. But when I'm at work this isn't an option, so I'll go and do something else, like do cleaning or something. Distraction ;)

I know not everyone will find these useful but there might be someone out there who does...and I hope they help. I'd be intrigued to hear any other wacky tips!!

Eating food with kids cutlery and plates/bowls is good, feels a bit silly but its effective!! Eating something cold like a scoop of ice cream after a warm meal is good for your matabolism, cold baths are the same. Mints, boiled sweets, polo mints are all good to take away the urge to eat. Filling up with things like home-made soup, where you know its all just veg & water, and its good for you!

Ive lost 3st this year and 5st since 2006

My tips are.....

Exercise is key, 30day shred is only 20mins and is really good. I think its better to find a hobby that u enjoy tho- i have taken up modern jive dancing which is soo fun n u dont even feel like ur exercising.

Chewing gum, brushing teeth gives such a strong minty taste that u feel like u couldnt eat anything

Tea/coffee- esp the new nescafe skinny lattes that r availible, only between 50-70cals a cup and the double chocca mocha ones r about 60cals and r soooo creamy and chocolatey- its like a treat.
Or an options hot choc with a marshmallow is only about 50cals!

Buy stuff for kids that u dont like....
My kids all have a pack of crisps n biscuit bar in their lunchbox, and i find if i buy nice crisps n yummy biscuit bars that i pick at them, but then i think to teach ur children a healthy relationship with food, is to eat these things in moderation... So i buy them things im not keen on n could resist.. So for me, i buy mini cheddars for crisps, and i buy nutrigrains instead of biscuits n they still have a treat but i dont have to battle with 'the treat cupboard'

Write everything down.....
Seeing it written down makes it less 'mindless'
It is so easy to just pick at little bits n not think, but if u write it down it gives it time to make it something other than mindless

If ur a big meal eater,then have a starter- even a 40cal slim a soup or some prawns n salad... Then wait 10 mins n eat ur main meal- and fill ur plate with veg..... And eat the most fattening bit last, cos to b fair, its usually the yummiest bit lol also if u get full (do stop when ur full) u will have filled up n hardly any cals and would leave some of the more fattening stuff.

If u like puddings....strawberries on a meringue nest is only about 60 cals, hartleys jelly just 9 cals or options hot choc with a marshmallow for about 60cals, 1 weetabix with enough skimmed milk to make it soggy and sweetener is less than 100cals!

Amazing tips. Massive congrats on your weight loss, you've done amazing. I've never heard of 30 day shred but im just about to google it. Love the bit about eating the starter first, it reminds me of a diet I read about in which you eat an apple before every meal. I just dont like them enough for that tho.

littlemiss said:
Amazing tips. Massive congrats on your weight loss, you've done amazing. I've never heard of 30 day shred but im just about to google it.

Good luck if you decide to try the Shred! As you can probably tell I'm a big fan but I'm not actually doing it at the moment as my stepdaughter's bed takes up most of the front room (though we should be moving in the next few weeks and she will get her own room). Before buying it I viewed level 1 on youtube. I won't say it looked easier than it is but it's worth it if you're not sure.

Back