Tips & Tricks

shakenomore

Thought this might be useful for us to share our tips / ideas etc. These are some tips from the class I attend every week.

Porridge: try to eat as often as possible in different forms (oat scones – I’ll post the recipe tonight or tomorrow). Eating porridge 3 times a week over a six week period has been proven to lower cholesterol by up to 10%. She referred to a book titled Porridge by Margaret Briggs which gives the health benefits and some recipes. I have ordered a copy and will be happy to share any nice recipes and tips I find in it.
Bowel movements: as before, exercise, lots of water, fibre and physillium husks – avoid any over the counter remedies. A cup of coffee in the morning can often help too.
Protein: ensure to have with each meal, breakfast and lunch should be a ½ palm size (if eating meat etc) and dinner should be a palm size. Seeds, nuts, laughing cow light, babybel are all good sources.
Water: drink 2 ltrs each day but try to limit the amount of water drank prior to weighing yourself as 1 ltr of water can weigh 2lbs on the scales.
Tips for losing weight
· Avoid bread as much as possible, use other substitutes such as the oat bran scones (which can also be made into a 1lb loaf and freezes very well).
· Ensure your plate is ½ veg at all meals (breakfast it could be fruit or veg) and aim for 3 pieces of low gi fruit a day.
· Avoid the diet drinks where possible.
· First thing in the morning and if possible before each meal drink water with some lemon in it (either slices or juice), as the citric acid in it helps to clear the mucus lining in the stomach allowing for it to digest food much better.
· Try not to eat after 8pm – “If you eat after 8, you gain weight”
· If you don’t make a great food choice for one meal - don’t focus on the one bad meal you might have eaten in the week – think of the other 20 good meals you have eaten and the healthy snacks.
· Exercise should be enjoyable and you should be able to fit it in to your lifestyle.
· If you weigh in the evening fast for 3 hours before you weigh in (this gives a more accurate reading each week)

Ah you are a pet. Great thread and thanks so much for taking the time to type it all up. We all benefit from your class.
Will have to add some bits when I get a minute.
Thanks

Thanks very much for posting these, I look forward to reading more tips - and the oat scone recipe.

One thing that works for me is planning ahead - even if it is just a day in advance.

I also batch cook - I make about 3-4 servings of something that I can freeze or keep in the fridge for another meal during the week. It saves me having to buy lunches or perfect for those nights when I come in from work/exercise class starving and my body just wants any food I can shovel in!

Thanks this is really useful, I'm doing refeed from LT in 9 days and am planning on GL after that. Feeling a little apprehensive I have to admit x

I agree that planning is vital. It is not as difficult as you might think.
For occasions where I am late home or just v busy these are my planning tips.

I make up a batch of mixed bean soup or spicy chick pea stew. I keep two of these in the fridge. This will easily keep for three days and indeed flavours improve.

When I cook quinoa I make up three portions and put two in the fridge. Then I have a portion to add to a quick stirfry of veg. This will keep in the fridge for three days.

I also keep a couple of boiled eggs in the fridge.

Keep a few cans of mixed beans in the cupboard. V handy for a quick salad or making a mash to go with some meat/fish.

In the freezer, keep a bag of mixed veg and quorn chicken pieces. Then you you the basics to do a quick stirfry.

For out and about, there is always a Nakd bar in my bag This is more than filling if I either have not time for a proper lunch or find myself somewhere where the food is too stodgy. I just order a nice coffee and discreetly have my bar. I find this a great saviour on many an occasion.
These are some of my coping strategies.

Thanks this is really useful, I'm doing refeed from LT in 9 days and am planning on GL after that. Feeling a little apprehensive I have to admit x

Good luck Yeye - I'm sure you'll do great on this plan! Post for lots of advice!

I know I've seen this posted somewhere on here before but I tried Neuro Trim the other day before going to my class. I knew I wouldn't be eating until later and I'm no good with hunger! Anyway, this worked really well for me. It definitely reduces the hunger but it is so full of artifical sweetners etc I would only use it every now and again....Plus it's expensive!

Additions to lower the GL of your meal.
I've read that wherever possible, include lemon juice, vinegar and cinnamon.
Lemon juice and vinegar will both help reduce the GL value of other ingredients. Cinnamon aids fat burning. It also makes porridge taste nicer!!!

In Rob Thompson's Glycemic Load Diet book he suugests a very useful strategy for dealing with starchy foods.
Build a starch pile on your plate. Push the rice/potato/pasta to one side of the plate. Slowly eat the protein and veg first. Then if you still feel hungry eat a little of the starchy food. You will already be feeling fuller and will eat less of the starchy food and therefore will lower the GL value of your meal. I have done this to great effect when presented with very starchy food.
Use wraps instead of bread to make a sandwich. Again, when eating it, eat the salad first and leave some of the wrap on the plate(the thick folded end). This could reduce the GL value of your meal by a fifth.
Eating a small salad before your meal will help slow the glucose surge of your main meal.
Simple ideas but they do help.

Thank you Shakenomore for the tips! I think they're great, and I will try them. I'm new to GI. I just switched over from LCHF (Low Carb High Fat). Sadly I've gained 2.6lbs now from switching diets. I read that it can take a week or two for the body to start losing weight after switching from super low carb to GI.

I'm going to keep trying and look at the benefit of eating healthy and learning how to eat the proper good for me carbs.

The importance and size of snacks

As I posted this in Calli's diary I thought it would be useful to post it here.
Don't overlook having your two snacks every day. Bear in mind snacks are TINY amounts just to top up glucose levels.

I reread a bit of Nigel Denby last night. He advises to go no longer than four hours without a snack. Two snacks in the day and one of these to be fruit.
Examples being:
Fruit;
1 kiwi
I plum
Small handful of berries
6 or 7 grapes ( note these are high sugar)
1 peach
Etc

Other snacks
1 mini Edam or similar cheese
3 cherry tomatoes
5 olives
1 oatcake with tsp of cream cheese
1 dessert spoon hummous with some vegetable dippers( cucumber, celery, pepper)
1 dessert spoon salsa with veg dippers
1/2 hardboiled egg with tsp cream cheese
1 dessert spoon pate with veg dippers
Etc

Additions to lower the GL of your meal.
I've read that wherever possible, include lemon juice, vinegar and cinnamon.
Lemon juice and vinegar will both help reduce the GL value of other ingredients. Cinnamon aids fat burning. It also makes porridge taste nicer!!!

ooh yes , Ialready add a sqeeze of lemon to porrige .. I'll try a bit of cinamon tomorrow thank you

thank you for this.... i found it really helpful.... cheers x

Back