To buy or not to buy...Guinea pig/s

*Emsie* said:
Thinking of possibly buying 1 or 2 guinea pigs partly because the kids have been asking for a pet and I think it would be good in particular for one of them to have a pet. I like guinea pigs have never had one but we used to have them at a nursery I worked at and I used to bring them home sometimes.
Anyone got any suggestions/advice?

Unless you're SURE of the sex, only buy one, males fight constantly, females live in harmony together and unless neutered a male female duo will be a dozen in minutes!
My poor sister ending up with 17 now has seven, and had to build SIX hutches so the males had one each!

I agree with the above comment! I had a guinea pig when I was a teen, I loved him but he was seriously noisy! All gp's are so be prepared for that ;)

I had 2 for about 5 years! both males..the one i had first was really lonely and would cry all night long. Bought another male to keep him company..at first they scrapped like something not right but perservered and they had a lovely brotherly bond in the end :D Love them x

we had two boys from the same litter. they fought, one lost a load of weight and we ended up having to separate them when the smaller one ended up badly injured by the bigger one.
they're lovely pets though, Chocolate is nearly 4 and he's very much part of the family. Phil (sent to live with my mum after the injury to Chocolate) died this winter which was sad :(

Phil
phil-1.jpg

Choc and Phil, age 1
pigs2.jpg

and finally, chocolate being a Peruvian Takeaway.

pigbox1.jpg

Last edited:
Taste like chicken.
One of each and you get a couple of free Sunday roasts out of the deal. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

They are group animals so really should be kept as a pair, can I recommend this forum to you?
The Guinea Pig Forum - Powered by vBulletin
It is really very good, also if you can have a look for a rescue rather than buying if you can. That way your pair will be correctly sexed so no chance of extra piggies and they will have been health checked as well
Good Luck piggies make fantastic pets

Aww I love guinea pigs. We had 2 but unfortunately 1 died and then when we moved we had to give the other one away :( I still miss him and it was over a year ago that he was adopted (and had his name changed *cries*).

Guinea pigs are lovely pets. They are really noisy though! Ours learned that when the fridge door opened (we had an open plan living room/kitchen) they were usually fed lots of lettuce, so even when it wasn't feeding time, if the fridge was opened they would be squeaking and running around mad in their cage lol. They always came out of their wee house to greet us when we got home from work, awwwww it was so cute :D

Our pigs were really shy out of the cage though, they peed all over us at first when we started handling them. I taught them to come out of their cage on their own so that I didn't have to chase them around the cage to get them out :D bwahaha!

Sorry this post isn't really helpful is it lol. Just get them! They are amazing pets, you won't be disappointed :D

Hi,

I dont have a GP but have been looking into it after the OH's daughter asked for one. We have a hamster and after shelling out a small fortune on a tiny cage it needed to be replaced with something huge that wasnt shop bought so he could actually run around.

Found the same thing with GPs you can buy some awful cages from the pet shop that are just inhumane if you ask me. If we get one I would def be making our own cage so they could have a lot of space to run around. The requirments for are 10sq ft cage for 2 gps apparently to give them a good environment.

They are cute though

xx

evilpenguin said:
Aww I love guinea pigs. We had 2 but unfortunately 1 died and then when we moved we had to give the other one away :( I still miss him and it was over a year ago that he was adopted (and had his name changed *cries*).

Guinea pigs are lovely pets. They are really noisy though! Ours learned that when the fridge door opened (we had an open plan living room/kitchen) they were usually fed lots of lettuce, so even when it wasn't feeding time, if the fridge was opened they would be squeaking and running around mad in their cage lol. They always came out of their wee house to greet us when we got home from work, awwwww it was so cute :D

Our pigs were really shy out of the cage though, they peed all over us at first when we started handling them. I taught them to come out of their cage on their own so that I didn't have to chase them around the cage to get them out :D bwahaha!

Sorry this post isn't really helpful is it lol. Just get them! They are amazing pets, you won't be disappointed :D

Loved this, could relate to it do much haha!! Mine were outdoor piggies but they recognised the sound of the fridge door opening, or if the back door was open and we were chopping food (not for them!) they would get sooo excited and squeak away :)

The peeing thing.. Also had that for a few weeks, yack!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

When my children were young we had guinea pigs, they make wonderful pets for children, we also had rabbits & they all lived happily together.

Yep I'd agree with evilpenguin they get used to a particular noise & will squeak lots & lots; we used to know when FiL was coming as the guinea pigs would squeak like made long before he entered the gate:D

Back