To drink or not to drink???

Madison

Hi,
So, I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since January after poisoning self on red wine, which took me a week to recover from. This was pre Dukan also.
We have a summer bbq this Friday. Always is a great night..There'll be lovely Dukan friendly food and also a free bar!!! Now, I know the correct answer before I even ask is...not to drink!! However, I've been 100% on plan since beginning of March with no lapses at all, am now smoke free 6 weeks and kinda feel like I need to treat myself!!! Only problem is I'm afraid I'll hit the deck after 2/3 drinks. What do y'all think I should do. Obviously I wouldn't go mad with the drink. My tipple of choice would be vodka and sparkling water and keep clear of the red wine as it gets me plastered very quickly at the best of times!! Help needed? x

Not much of a drinker here anyway, but it seems to me your choice is a good one, maybe slimline tonic if the cals low enough. I would also make it in a tall glass so it lasts longer. :D

The only thing I would say is 6 weeks isn't really "out of the woods" territory when quitting cigarettes and your resolve may drop if you have a couple of drinks. If you think you'll stay strong, then go for it, but if there's a slightest bit of doubt then I just wouldn't risk it at this early stage (the quitting smoking stage)

Thanks guys, I agree re the drinking and cigarettes going hand in hand issue. Good thing is most of the folk I work with are non smokers so don't think I'll be tempted. My smoking buddy from when I was a smoker will be away on hols so that's a good thing!! Shall see how I feel come Friday I suppose..Thanks again.

I have been low carb for a year, and dukan since beginning of June. Alcohol didn't affect me pre-dukan any more than it did in the carb days. On Dukan I went six weeks without booze then had a couple of preplanned nights out. Had plenty of booze (lots of wine), felt great, and instead of loosing my usual weekly 2lbs lost 1lb. But that said I do quite a lot of exercise which probably made up for it! I'm a bad example....ignore me.... but have fun whatever you do!

If you do have a couple try single g&t lots and lots of ice you feel your drinking but by the time you drink your drink and all the time the ice is melting you dont actually have that much ; -)
And well done you on the ciggys x

Well I drink fairly regularly on Dukan so I say have a few - I always have vodka and diet coke and found it didn't really stall my weight loss - fab about the ciggies - that is brilliant ! I used to be an occasional smoker but have recently found I really don't enjoy it which is very strange!!!

Thanks again for your replies and advice. Do you know what, I think I'll have a few on Friday. When I was low carbing (very low) a few years back I used to drink vodka and sparkling water every Sat night (usually alot of) and the hangovers were no worse then when not low carbing. I was happy with the weight I was at back then so didn't really affect me as such. I guess once in a while won't hurt. I don't particularly like the taste of booze but to be honest I kinda want to let my hair down so to speak and have a good time at the party. There's only so much one can listen to when sober!!! I'll have the diorolite at the ready. Really helps with the hangovers and hope for the best. Shall report back after the event :) thanks again..xxx

Have a great evening x

How did you get on Madison? I was at a hen party this weekend. I can take or leave alcohol so wasn't a big issue for me not drinking. As my friends say, I'm mad enough!! It was great fun. I literally danced the night away, lol. At one point, myself and the hen (she doesn't drink at all) were the only two up dancing. I love how dukan works within "normal" life. It's great!

Back