To everyone going it alone - bathroom scales?

Carthago delenda est

Silver Member
I have some salters scales and they are 6lb out from the ones I use at class - 6lb heavier not lighter may I add!!

I think the key is to use the same ones and weigh in at the same place and time!

If your unsure, you could always forget the home scales and go to Boots once a week? I know a lot of people on here do that as they are said to be the most accurate.

xx

I have those exact scales, doesn't surprise me that they're that far out tbh. I've been planning on going to Boots tbh, much more accurate. But yeah, I weigh the same time, same place with these scales, so maybe the weightloss is reasonably accurate, but the actual weight isn't? :p

I have some WeightWatchers ones from Argos that weigh to the nearest quarter lb. They also come with removable feet so if you don't have a hard surface floor to weigh on you will get a more accurate reading on carpet. I tested this out on both my hard bathroom floor and bedroom carpet and got the same reading.

I just got some digital solar ones from argos. They're pretty good but only go up in whole pounds not halves which i sometimes find annoying. I have got some of those fancy BMI, fat calculator ones but they were a complete pain in the rear end so have ditched them for something less technical.

I have the WW ones with the removable feet too. They are usually to within a lb of my group scales, and are consistent and seem very reliable.

I feel like popping to Boots to see what kind of weight they're showing... but I feel silly and embarrassed weighing in public :( xxx

Thanks for your suggestions. I'd love to be able to go to Boots, but my local one is not so local and quite hard to get to.

I think I might go for the Hanson ones at Argos, if not, then the Salter ones from Amazon.

Thanks again.

use ww scales myself , l find them reliable

I also have the WW ones & I would definitely recommend them. From Argos I think.

Last edited:
I was about to post and ask about scales, you beat me to it :D

I bought these Buy Weight Watchers Ultra Slim Designer Glass Scale. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . in Argos last week but I hadnt researched them online or looked at the reviews - big mistake! I tried them and then 10 minutes later got on them again and it was a miracle... I had lost 3.5 Kg!!!!! I took them back, the reading changed everytime you got on them, even though i hadnt moved the scales. Looking at the reviews it would seem I was not the only one!!!

Not sure what to do now about weighing as I am doing BodyOptimise so need to weigh somehow... considering going to the doctors and be weighed each week with the nurse but dont know if I can cope with that :eek:

I got these ones from Argos:

Buy HoMedics Touch Body Analyser Scale. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

And they are very very good (were only £16 when i picked them up too, even though reserve price was £19.99)

I can second the recommendation for these - HoMedics scales are the most accurate/consistent ones I've had of all the scales I've owned over the years.

I've posted this several times on the board, but it's worth repeating: the way to tell if a scale is accurate/consistent is to get on 20 times in a row, and write down the weight it gives you each time. There should not be any difference between any two readings that's greater than the smallest increment of the scale - ie if it weighs down to a quarter of a pound, there shouldn't be more than a quarter pound difference between the readings, same if it weighs down to half a pound. Any scale that gives you less consistent readings than that isn't accurate.

I can second the recommendation for these - HoMedics scales are the most accurate/consistent ones I've had of all the scales I've owned over the years.

I've posted this several times on the board, but it's worth repeating: the way to tell if a scale is accurate/consistent is to get on 20 times in a row, and write down the weight it gives you each time. There should not be any difference between any two readings that's greater than the smallest increment of the scale - ie if it weighs down to a quarter of a pound, there shouldn't be more than a quarter pound difference between the readings, same if it weighs down to half a pound. Any scale that gives you less consistent readings than that isn't accurate.

Thanks very much, I think I'm going to opt for these ones :)

I had to laugh at the last review on that Argos link - 'These scales weighed me at 2st 8lbs more than I know I am!!'.

Yeah, I think there might be a bit of denial involved there. :D :D

I had to laugh at the last review on that Argos link - 'These scales weighed me at 2st 8lbs more than I know I am!!'.

Yeah, I think there might be a bit of denial involved there. :D :D

:p:8855:

I've borrowed (long-term loan heh heh) a set of WW scales from my friend (who's doing WW but going to group). My first weigh in, I was a whole stone less than I used to be (I hadn't weighed myself in a loooong time) but now they seem to be fairly accurate with it. I'd recommend them.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-1012.aspx

this is them :)

Back