To everyone who is nearing their goal..is this good/bad news??

Daisydee

FAT CELLS HAVE MEMORY!!!
Hi Guys - this may be of interest to you if you are nearing goal.

Exercise essential to keeping weight off after dieting, says nutritionist
Dieters who have managed to shed their excess weight need to do 90 minutes of exercise a day to keep the pounds off in the long term, according to a study. The finding comes as a leading nutritional researcher called on world leaders to tackle obesity with the same urgency as global efforts to tackle climate change.
Rena Wing, professor of psychiatry and human behaviour at Brown University, told the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Boston yesterday that exercising 60 to 90 minutes a day was essential to long term weight loss. By studying data on more than 5,000 men and women who have, on average, lost 70 pounds and kept the weight off for six years, she found that successful dieters had high levels of physical activity and consciously controlled their eating habits. This meant frequent weighing, following a consistent diet across the week and taking quick remedial action at the first sign of weight gain.
"There's no way around it," Wing said. "If you want to lose weight and keep it off you need to really change your lifestyle, particularly if you're overweight or have a family history of obesity. The obesity epidemic won't go away simply because people switch from whole to skimmed milk. They need to substantially cut their calories and boost their physical activity to get to a healthy weight - and keep minding the scale once they do."
In Britain more than one-fifth of adults are obese and, of the remainder, half of men and a third of women are overweight. Obesity is linked to heart disease, diabetes and premature death. By 2015, 2.3 billion adults are forecast to be overweight, including 700 million obese.
Philip James, of the International Obesity Taskforce, told the seminar urgent steps were needed to transform the environment that makes people fat. James, who chaired the UN Commission on the Nutritional Challenges of the 21st Century, said obesity was a problem for all of society, arguing that blaming individuals for their vulnerability to gain weight was no longer acceptable when the "environment in which we live is the overwhelming factor amplifying the epidemic".
He added: "It is even more naive to tell people that they just need to make a little change in their eating habits or their daily activity and suddenly the obesity problem will be remarkably easily solved."
A big challenge for the food sector would be to transform its products to reduce the promotion and abundant array of high energy foods, he said.

Daisydee x
:coffee:

Very bad news ;), I'm still off work from the last time I did exercise. I'm going for the slim but squidgy look now!!

Gx

I'm not seeing squidgy in your photos Porge!

I didn't think there would be an easy way out of ever avoiding exercise when I get to goal, but I didnt expect it to have gone up to 90mins a day!!!:eek:

I thought the recommended exercise was 30mins a day for 3-5 days a week, or something like that!

How on earth could many people fit in 90 mins a day.... I hope housework is included!

Exercise??? I have never exercised, hasn't made any difference to my "maintenance", and I don't intend to start at my age (Haven't even unwrapped my Davina DVD yet!)

Exercise??? I have never exercised, hasn't made any difference to my "maintenance", and I don't intend to start at my age (Haven't even unwrapped my Davina DVD yet!)

Cheryl don't do it, leave it wrapped, it has laid me up for over two weeks!!!! LOL

I'm not seeing squidgy in your photos Porge!

Thanks hun, gotta love those magic pants!!

Gxx

oh Eclipse... thats music to my ears!! Mind you, you look like you work out 90mins a day as it is! And Porgeous, I agree with letmeout, there is nothing squidgy about you!

I haven't unwrapped my dancing one either! It must have been here for 3 weeks!

Back