Tofu

The bin? Haha sorry I just cant stand th stuff but a lot of cookery programmes suggest chilli flakes nd some soy sauce to go wit a stir fry? xx

Hi Jenjake- This is a recipe I have made several times- it's very good and pretty easy. After it's made, you can eat it as-is or with rice or noodles, or in a stir-fry with veggies. It's even better as leftover a couple of days later.

For most savory tofu recipes, it's best to place it in a colander for a few hours (or overnight), lay a plate over it, and place something heavy-ish (I use cans of soup) on top of the plate. This will press water out of the tofu and make the texture better.

Here's the recipe. These are U.S measurements - if you prefer, I can post in metric. I started eating tofu as a healthful non-meat protein option, but after a while, I found that I enjoy the taste, too!

Asian Style Savory Baked Tofu

12 ounces firm tofu

For Marinade

2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon sake or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 garlic clove , minced
2 tablespoons finely minced onions
1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon hot chili paste , to taste (optional)

Directions:

1. For best results, tofu should be "pressed" in order to remove excess liquid and absorb the flavors of the marinade.
2. Press tofu block between two plates, weighted down with a cast iron pan, large bowl of water, or heavy cans, for about 30 minutes.
3. Halfway through, you may dump the plate of water and flip the tofu block.
4 . To make marinade, simply whisk together the ingredients in a bowl.
5. After tofu is pressed, cut the block into small cubes or triangles.
6. Place pieces of tofu into baking dish, and cover with the marinade.
7. The tofu can sit overnight in the marinade, or can be prepared right away.
8. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
9. Bake tofu about 35-45 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
10.Tofu can be eaten by itself, or added to stir-frys, salads, soups or sandwiches.

12 syns in the oil
1 in dry sherry

None in anything else on GREEN days unless the chilli paste has oil in it but you could use powder which is free.

Going to try this - sounds nice.

No mention of servings but 2 maybe 3

Last edited:
Back