Told im gonna die :/

For another really inspirational read, google "Weightloss *****". This lady was 43 stone last year and has lost 11.5 stone on SW. Her website is amazing and every day she writes a really interesting piece about this or that and shares her ups and downs. She's very honest and open and you can email her as well. I really enjoy reading her articles. She is staying anonymous at the moment but when she feels ready, she will she show her before and after pictures.

The word the website asterisked is the name for a female dog. Whoops.

I just did an exam in social psych and one of the things they use for health messages is fear, these are messages to get people to change their lifestyle habits and they do work. So from that stand point her message worked as you called a consultant and have made strong resolve to lose weight. Mind the humiliation part was totally out of order and you can get someone to change their lifestyle in a nice manner without putting them down. That bit is not on and I totally get you on that side as my doctor did something similar, I cried too. I would also put in a complaint about it, as sometimes people just don't realise how they sound to others and that might be enough for her to think twice before doing something to another patient.

My father has said this to me all the time 'success is the best revenge' so lose the weight you want, have that baby and when you go in with your new slimmer body and beautiful baby make sure she sees you!

I would most deffinitely complain about this GP to the practice manager. Yes, what she said and how she behaved has pushed you to contact SW and well done you for doing so and taking that step. However, you will always remember how she made you feel and how badly she treated you. When I was much younger I went to a GP for something unrelated to weight issues, unfortunately her parents were friends with my parents. Once she had dealt with the reason for my visit she looked me up and down and said "dont you want a boyfriend" she said I would never find anyone to be with or happiness if I didnt lose weight.

i was mortified and devastated and unfortunately my mind went the opposite way to yours and I binged and put weight on.

I still remember how she made me feel and the anger and humiliation I felt that day. I wish more than anything that I had complained and maybe stopped her treating someone else in the same heartless way.

I wish you all the best with your journey - trust the plan and it WILL work!

For another really inspirational read, google "Weightloss *****". This lady was 43 stone last year and has lost 11.5 stone on SW. Her website is amazing and every day she writes a really interesting piece about this or that and shares her ups and downs. She's very honest and open and you can email her as well. I really enjoy reading her articles. She is staying anonymous at the moment but when she feels ready, she will she show her before and after pictures.

I have been reading this too, very inspirational, caught up on the whole blog in about a day and a half and it made me cry but has helped me with my motivation.

A doc scared me and was blunt with me when I was approaching 17 stone, if it was not for the docs honesty I may not have started this journey and will be forever thankful, especially as my sis in law is 28 stone plus and her docs are treating her for poorly joints, knees, diabetes and numerous other things but not daring to mention that the weight might be contributing. My knees had started to hurt and i was so hot and bothered in the summer.

Good luck on your journey and use the embarrassment as motivation to show them you CAN do it with diet and no need for surgery.

OMG how many replies, that's so over whelming people offering me thoughts and advice thank you all so much. I agree there's two sides people may think the doctor used tough love and maybe wanted me to be shocked into losing weight but I just think she judged me on being over weight which I don't think doctors should do. I heard doctors could refer you to slimming world so when I asked her about it she told me she couldn't refer me but its only £5 that's £5 less I'll be spending on food! seriously who says that, it's just rude!

So I went along to SW today an joined, was really nervous walking in but actually wasn't that bad. I told her I didn't wanna talk in front of everyone an she said that's fine. 5 people joined today I felt like the biggest there! After joining I went shopping and bought lots of healthy SW foods to enjoy this week and was shocked it cost less than my normal shop and I got more than usual!

Really excited about the journey a head hehe xxxx

Hi Poppy. Well done (round of applause) for seeing it through, that's the biggest hurdle jumped.

Everyone at group and here will support you, ask questions, there are no silly questions - most have thought it if not already asked it. We are all at different stages but our end goals are the same - to be slimmer regardless of reasons but we will all be healthier.

I still write down after 9 weeks everything that passes my lips and how many drinks I have - I keep tiny post it's in my purse so I can jot down or put in my phone - it's easy to forget after a busy day!

As post above said (sorry cant check on my phone :( )read and re read the book, make notes stick post it's in pages.

Find out if your SW group has their own Facebook page - ours does and only group members can see it - ours is very supportive between groups.
, I cook from SW magazine or recipe books at least 5 times a week and my hubby commented that we are having much nicer evening meals these days :) I am actually enjoying cooking now its not such a chore or boring.

BUT most of all enjoy the journey, dropping clothes sizes really does feel good regardless of how long it takes.

Keep posting. Hugs xxxx

Glad you are feeling so positive poppy :) well done for joining group tonight. Happy hippo has given some fabulous advice, you cant refer to your book enough in the beginning!
As for the doctor, my opinion of her has lowered even further! theres tough love and there's being plain rude. I would def complain if I were you! X

Ah, well done for joining group! I went on my own first time too and it's scary but the worst is over now and if your group's anything like mine you'll make some lovely friends there :)

If you need any help with the plan we're all here! Just shout xxx

Last edited:
Oh dear. I have taken a disliking to drs. My first gp told me I wouldn't be able carry my baby as I was SO overweight, I was 16ish stone.. I lost that baby but I don't believe it was due to me being overweight. I've seen some really overweight people have children. When I miscarried he asked me why I was crying... "/ I changed drs. I went on to having 2 daughters. I went to my new drs to start the contraceptive injection and the dr before even weighing me said you do realise your really obese, really rude! For my height I'm never going to be a stick! I went back months later after doing Sw and lost 3 stone. She asked if she had seen me before and I said yeah but back then I was 3 stone effing lighter!!

Screw what your dr has said. One of my drs must be 30odd stone. You wouldn't go to a hairdresser with crap hair would you? I certainly wouldn't trust a surgery with a dr who is too big for his chair!

Do Sw for you and any nice comments you get off drs on the way is a bonus! :) you can do this and when you have your baby, you will see it was all worth it. Good luck!

Your GP certai nly doesnt mince her words and is rude. However, I wish my docotors had been direct with me 20 years ago when I first got to the 18 stone mark. Maybe I would have sorted my self out a lot sooner and wouldn't be full of regrets for all the years I wasted as a severly obses woman.
You're on the right track now and good luck. And dont completely rule out the surgery, From what I understand it is very difficult to get but is the most long term succesful way to keep the weight off. Now I'm trying to maintain I am finding it much harder than losing it was coz I feel I should be able to eat more and there are no big rewards like pounds dropping off and dress sizes falling. xx

Poppy, just want to say that you've chosen a fantastic way to lose weight, and you're doing it now, and stopping yourself from putting even more and more on. Well done for be brave and joining. The bonus is you will still be able to eat normal food all the way through your journey, and you've got lots of us all cheering you on. xx

Well done on joining SW.

I also have a story a bit like that and mine turned out positive. Firstly this was in Spain not UK. I broke my ankle and when I had the cast removed I still had lots of pain in my leg so went to my GP (who is a woman). She examined everything and without saying anything about the ankle just looked at me and said. " What do you expect when you are so fat - your ankle is weak and will not carry all that weight - go home and lose some then come back and I will re-asses the situation". End of consultation.
I went home in tears and cried for a long time and was very angry then my husband said - she is right you know that don't you?
And yes she was, looking back it was what I needed or I would have gone on the way I was, not having a full length mirror in the house, having clothes made so there were never any size labels inside them etc etc. I lost almost 6 stone on my own - no SW in Spain - and have recently put some back on due to eating and drinking too much so that has got to go before it turns into a big amount.

Good Luck with your weight loss journey - lots of us have done it so it is not impossible. Lots of help from SW Consultant and on this forum so you are not alone.

I have lost 2 stone so far and although for me its been slow, its made such a difference. I went to docs thr other day and mentioned that my right knee was getting arthritic pains for the last 6 months, and she was ever so delicate but upfront too - 'well the first thing a rheumatologist will tell you to do is begin to lose a little weight to take some strain off your joints - we can talk about support options if you like?' To which I said I'd lost 2 stone so far and was aware that I needed to change and didn't need NHS support - she was so happy for me and congratulated me on my loss, and said to come and speak to her again when another 2 stone or so is gone as that will be when the worst weight has gone and she can have a proper look at my knee and give me a referral without wasting anyone's time as they wouldn't then discharge me and tell me to lose weight. I thought this was fantastic and great support, just goes to shoe that not every doctor has the tact to deal with very personal topics like this in a way that makes someone feel respected and also motivated to help themselves.

You can do it - throw yourself into the plan, try new things and write a list of short and long term goals for you to aim for. Before long the pounds will drop off and you can stick it to that rude and disrespectful doctor :) x

Hmm, my brand new account got banned for putting SW awards in my signature, but thankfully it got sorted out. My post got deleted but I'll try to remember and rewrite as what helped me in the first week will hopefully help you (and others who stumble upon this thread)

Hi Poppy,

I certainly feel your pain, but don't worry, you've done the hardest part. In no time at all you'll have some nice shiny awards and think it's the best thing you ever did! I was probably voted the person least likely to join a slimming club; even in the first week I was cringing and wondering what I was doing there. But I thought if I'm paying £5 a week I'm damn well getting my money's worth! So I gave it a proper go, and it took just 2.5 days for me to feel unusually better and more energetic, and that this might really work. It's gone from there!

Here are a few tips which really helped me at the beginning and might help you too:

1) Read all the books cover to cover. It's well worth spending a whole day really getting to grips with it.
2) If you see any of your fave foods in the free food section, jot them down.
3) Keep your "food diary" religiously, at least for the first few months. The "lifeline online" website and mobile site (not the app, that's useless) are pretty good for this. Also keep the journal part - what meals you had that day. In future if/when you have a bad week you can go back and see what you did. This will be a Godsend.
4) Weigh-in EVERY week, even if you don't feel like it, and ALWAYS stay to group. You'll get to know people quickly, and their encouragement will really pump you up. Later on new members will find your own experience and support invaluable.
5) Make sure your family and friends know you're serious about this and ask for their support (for example not to waft cakes under your nose when you visit!)
6) Stick to the plan 100%, that's the only thing you really have to do. Do that and the weight will practically fall off, guaranteed!

Oh, and 7) Remove all the really synful food from your kitchen cupboards. Don't throw it away though, go and THROW IT AT YOUR GP :)

Good luck, and don't forget to tell us how you get on.

Last edited:
Back