Tony's "Grand Plan" Progress Diary

couldn't exercise this morning due to cold/flu thing that makes my head pound whenever I put my foot down. Weird. Definitely going to do it tomorrow though.

Weight is the same. Nearly lost the tip of my thumb making my healthy lunch... not that you needed to know that:)

exercised today as promised. Ate some cake last night (my wife was making a birthday cake for someone and had some leftover) but I managed it in moderation. I don't think I did lasting damage.

Dinner was an excellent low-fat lentil casserole - really tasty too!

I got the munchies a bit last night (hence the cake) which I haven't had for a while... I wonder why :hmm:

How goes it?

Things are a bit topsy turvy.. I weighed in on Sunday and thought I'd got down to 14 stone (wohoo) only to find my young daughter had fiddled with the calibration on the scales, so still at 14st 3lbs... oh well ho hum.

Feeling a bit disillusioned lately. Despite good progress I have been doing this for two months now and I've started to dream about cadbury's dairy milk! When I first started my new regime I was dreaming about M&Ms all the time. I do hope it passes. Problem is, we have had some cadbury's chocolate in the house and I've had 2 bars in the last week. The temptation is too great!

Then I start to wonder why I'm depriving myself of such nice things.

I think what I need to do is remember that this is weight loss - I won't spend the rest of my life avoiding nice things altogether, only during this period of weight loss. When I've lost some weight, then it will be weight management - i.e. not losing or gaining. I'm sure I'll be able to manage my weight while enjoying some nice things once in a while.

Meanwhile, I'm still in weight-loss mode and so I do, for the near-term at least, need to abstain from high calorie and high fat foods until I've achieved my goal weight.

That analysis in itself makes me feel so much better.

What I do need is something healthy I can snack on in the evening... that's when I get my munchies. I went through a period of having fresh cherries but they've stopped appearing in the supermarkets now. For some reason, other fruits just don't do it for me... I'll maybe have a good look around the supermarket tonight and see what I can find.

Oh, by the way, exercise has been ok. I had the weekend off, and then exercised Monday and Tuesday (aerobics), having Wednesday off. I'll do Thursday and Friday then take a break at the weekend again. I do try to do some Wii-Fit jogging or somesuch on Saturday or Sunday so that counts too. Also planning 40 minute brisk uphill walks at lunchtimes this week - should do at least three of those hopefully.

All-in-all I'm pretty much sticking to the regime (apart from a few digressions!)

Don't you just hate weighing scales?!

I weighed myself this morning for the first time in a few days. First it showed 14stone - yippee I thought! Then I made sure it was on a level surface (not on my bathroom towel) and tried again... 14stone 2lbs... boo! Bloody scales - messing with my head!

Anyway, 14stone 2lbs is still a small loss over a fortnight, though not much. I think this is definitely a plateau but I'm persevering through it. I'm thinking this is where a lot of people might give up - when they stop seeing noticable weight loss - I'm not going to.. I'm picking myself up and carrying on. Still noticing my clothes hanging off me. Noticed my wedding ring was a bit loose yesterday too - fingers looking rather slim.

My wife tells me I'm just the right size now - but I know I'm not. I still have a belly and some love handles and they've got to go!

Took the kids swimming on Sunday and was actually quite comfortable with my appearance. Don't get me wrong - I'm no oil painting - but I look better than I have for over a decade so its all relative to me.

Sticking to the regime - doing 30mins aerobics 4 times a week now (I think I was doing 5 times a week but I was getting so tired because they're all done at 6am so I eased off a little bit). Also doing 30minute brisk uphill walks at least 2 times a week (did it four times last week!).

Diet is doing well. Same breakfast, same lunch, hearty dinner, no snacks, lo-cal drinks. I'm quite happy with my diet.

If I can get below 14stone I will be over the moon. At least then I'll be on the way to 13 stone - a celebration point methinks!

Exciting news!

Ended the week with a weigh-in of exactly 14 stone (196 lbs)!! Yippee!! I've finally broken through that last 2lbs I've been struggling with for weeks.

I made sure the scales weren't lying to me too... I shifted my weight all around the scales but its true - lost 2lbs - thankfully - and at last!

Now I'm really looking forward to getting into the 13stone arena. 13stone 12lbs would be really nice.

My work trousers are getting really loose but I don't want to buy new ones until I've lost some more weight... exciting though!

Oh - by the way - my current weight of 196lbs means I'm exactly half way to my target! Whoopeeee

oh - more news (I keep editing this post as I think of more things to say!) - remember how I stood on Wii Fit in the new year to be told my 33 year old body had a Wii Fit age of 42?? Well... I stood on the very same Wii Fit last weekend and I got it down to 22! I know it's not very accurate, but I can testify that my general health and fitness has improved massively over the two and a half months. I haven't been this fit since I was at school.

oh - and yet another thing - according to the statistics on this website, I've lost 9.68% of my body weight! Oh my god! Scary.... mind you, I spotted myself in the full-length mirror as I got dressed this morning and it wasn't a pretty sight! Man-boobs are definitely in evidence as I put on my socks..... and love handles need some work. Still motivated to go for the next 21lbs.

Last edited:
I'm so excited that I've reached the half-way point on my quest to being thin that I thought I'd take a moment to do some reflection. You might remember (from the first post in this diary) the lifestyle of the "old" me. I've quoted it below for reference:
The Old Me
So, what were my vices? Sweets, dairy and Pastries! I've always eaten massive amounts of chocolate, sweets, cakes, biscuits, yogurts and desserts. A typical day at the end of 2008 would go something like this:

1. Get up at around 7:30... skip breakfast, shower dress and drive straight to work, grabbing a 1ltr full-fat yogurt drink for the journey and usually a family-pack of Maltesers or a LARGE bar of galaxy
  2. Sit at my desk working all morning, absolutely no exertion, no exercise
  3. At 11:45 be roused for lunch by my colleagues... make a 2 minute walk to the staff canteen where I would have a stodgy meal with chips, a 500ml bottle of full-fat coke, a pudding (e.g. apple crumble, syrup pudding, chocolate pud) and custard or chocolate sauce.
  4. At 15:00 visit the tuck-shop for 2 bars of chocolate (e.g. Snickers) and possible a bag of crisps.
  5. Drive home at 17:00
  6. Dinner with my family at 18:00 consisting of a full meal with dessert and a can of full-fat coke
  7. Put the kids to bed at around 19:00
  8. At 20:00 get the munchies -make jam sandwiches with butter and 4 doorstep-slices of bread. Sometimes eat a whole family-pack of M&Ms, usually eat at least 2 Muller Fruit Corner yogurts, sometimes also have a bag of butterkist popcorn
  9. Go to bet at 22:00
That is the life I am starting with! Add to this regular weekend trips to McDonalds, Pizza Hut and other similar chains and you've got my old lifestyle in a nutshell! Notice - no exercise AT ALL - not even regular walks.

Well... in the style of that post, BEHOLD THE NEW ME:

1. Get up at around 6:00-6:30 (except weekends) to do at least 30 minutes of sweat-making aerobics with my wife, usually a Davina DVD, while my three children cosy up on the sofa watching in their pyjamas
  2. At 7:00 Get the kids dressed for school and prepare breakfast while my wife showers. Eat one bowl of grounds oats with semi-skimmed milk, a dash of maple syrup, a glass of low calorie juice drink and a muller-lite yogurt.
  3. Kiss my lovely family goodbye and drive to work where I sit at my desk working all morning with little exertion
  4. At least twice a week (and ofter more) at 12:00 take a brisk 30-minute uphill walk with colleagues
  5. Eat lunch consisting of: a sandwich of two slices of break with tuna, onion and low-calorie mayonnaise; low-calorie Walker's baked crisps; two pieces of fruit; and a 10 calorie pot of Hartley's jelly.
  6. Drive home at 17:00
  7. Dinner with my family at 18:00 consisting of a full meal, sometimes with dessert and a can of calorie-free cloudy lemonade
  8. Put the kids to bed at around 19:00
  9. Any other snack usually consists of a low-calorie juice drink and a muller-lite
  10. Go to bed at about 22:00

Its not a perfect lifestyle but its a heack of a lot better than it used to be! I could probably lose weight faster by cutting out or changing some of the foods, but heck! I like my food and I would never lose weight at all if I just abstained completely! For example, I used to love eating massive amounts of chocolate. Now, I might have an extremely modest amount very rarely - such as a chunk of dairy milk in a week or a single M&M. I don't tease myself about it. Also, I tend to have proper deserts in the evening with my family - my wife makes nice deserts, but I have small portions and no seconds. And that's usually only once or twice a week.

If I plateua badly, these are the things I might need to tinker with to kick-start the weight-loss again, but at least I have them up my sleeve. Meanwhile, they serve to make the weight-loss bearable at the cost of slowing down my weight loss. I can live with that. It's taken me 15 years to get into this state - a few extra months to get out of it will still be worth the effort.

Here's to the next 21lbs!

Another somewhat indulgent weekend. Took my wife out for a Mexican as a Mother's Day treat and was reasonably healthy apart from the Churros...!

Still 14stone so starting the week with the potential to break through the 14 stone barrier. Exciting!

Strictly speaking, I'm behind schedule. To make my target of twelve and a half stone at two pounds loss per week will now take me into June - around June 14th. By my current deadline (May 25th) I should be able to manage 13 stone at least. So, that's it - by May 25th I need to get down to 13 stone - that's another stone to lose in 8 weeks - completely doable I think.

Then, I can press on to lose that last half stone into June.

Here goes.....

well done :clap:

I just learned that there are about 180 calories in a banana! A banana for christ's sake!

Crikey - looks like I'll be making a wholesale shift to oranges ;-)

Still 14 stone - no loss this week, but then I looked at Wii fit and it said I'd lost 2lbs this week to 14stone exactly... probably a discrepency between the Wii fit and my old-fashioned scales. Both are showing 14stone now though. The Wii fit keeps a graph of your weight loss over a period and its fascinating to look at. Starting in early January I was 15stone 7lbs then I rose to 15stone 8 or 9lbs before dropping sharply to 15 stone, since when my weight loss has been extremely linear and at a good 1 or 2 lbs per week. Quite nice to look at. It also shows how the weight loss hasn't really stalled at any point, so although I've been talking about "plateaus" etc I've actually not plateaued at all.

So, I plan to use the Wii fit as my actual weighing-in mechanism. Lets see if we can get it to show a weight below 14stone this time next week! Exciting!

Still 14 stone - no loss this week, but then I looked at Wii fit and it said I'd lost 2lbs this week to 14stone exactly... probably a discrepency between the Wii fit and my old-fashioned scales. Both are showing 14stone now though. The Wii fit keeps a graph of your weight loss over a period and its fascinating to look at. Starting in early January I was 15stone 7lbs then I rose to 15stone 8 or 9lbs before dropping sharply to 15 stone, since when my weight loss has been extremely linear and at a good 1 or 2 lbs per week. Quite nice to look at. It also shows how the weight loss hasn't really stalled at any point, so although I've been talking about "plateaus" etc I've actually not plateaued at all.

So, I plan to use the Wii fit as my actual weighing-in mechanism. Lets see if we can get it to show a weight below 14stone this time next week! Exciting!

lets hope!good luck :)

Had a really good weekend food-wise. No overeating and no desire for munchies. I think I've broken my "crap food" addiction.

On Friday my eldest daughter had a Snickers and couldn't eat the last 2cm of it. It was in the car until Sunday when I found it. I put it into my mouth and, although I liked the taste, there was something a bit gross about it! And that 2cm was more than enough for me...

Yesterday I pulled out my free-weights and bench in preparation for a concerted effort at pushing some weights around. I've been studying a good book on the topic and I'm planning a routine that should see me lifting 4 or five times a week - possibly in the evenings. Now I'm losing some fat I want to start building up some muscle so I don't look like Mr Muscle from the TV adverts!

Also, I had to buy some new trousers for work - gone from 38inch waist to 36inch and looking to get to at least 34inch. That was fun. Now I need some new shirts - the ones I have are incredibly baggy on me. That's not to say I'm slim - just not as fat as I was. I've still got a long way to go - only half way - but these little things serve to spur me on.

Crikey! these 6am workouts are getting really tough now the clocks have jumped forward an hour! Its like dragging myself out of bed at 5am and jumping around the living room like a lunatic :wave_cry:

Still - its the only time of day when I can spare the time and have the inclination to actually do it and as long as I am doing it I shall carry on! Wednesday is a rest day... roll on Wednesday!

By the way - if I can keep up the good eating this week I'm pretty sure I can get a 1 or 2 lb loss taking me below 14 stone at the weekend! Exciting indeed!

I know I shouldn't weigh myself mid-week but I did today... :nono:

It seems I've lost a pound since the weekend so I'm on track for the end of the week! A bit naughty but you know what its like....

An interesting few days - went to see my parents and brother in back home this weekend (about a 3hr drive) - always good fun to see people who you might only visit once or twice a year, especially when you've lost weight. They should notice straight away....

Well, initially my mother didn't comment but soon after she pointed out how I must have lost "quite a bit" of weight. I immediately sprang to my feet to show off my new slimmer body and she was impressed, but she said a few interesting things too....

she told me I was at the right weight now, "don't lose any more" she said. My wife also says this. I'm actually a stone overweight so I'm going to persist to lost that last stone at least before going for protein shakes and weight-lifting with anger.

My brother told me I needed to change the way I dress now I'm slimmer - I can enjoy much more adventurous clothing... this I agree with, but still having a bit of a pot-belly I don't think I'm quite ready for those tight fitting designer shirts just yet.. perhaps when I'm down to 13stone...

It was at this point that I realised my size 36inch waist jeans were actually a bit big for me - I could actually pull them down without undoing the button! A few more pounds and I may be officially into 34" waist!

I do still have a belly though, and my pecs are still fatty (as my brother confirmed as he wobbled them up and down!) - this supports my belief that another stone of fat-loss is important before really going for muscle building.

Anyway, I've been a bit distracted looking at new clothes lately and I'm extra-focused on losing this next stone. Depending on how I feel & look when I'm down to 13stone (which is at the top end of my ideal weight range based on BMI, i.e. not overweight) I may not lose any more weight and may begin working to build muscle mass.

My mother has a huge mirror in her front room - really wide and really high. I looked at myself in it and I certainly did look thinner (actually "thin" in comparison with my size last year). I was a bit shocked at it actually - for some reason I saw just how much weight I had lost... I hope another stone doesn't tip it over the edge into "skinny"!

Anyway, my weigh-in this weekend was a cause for some celebration - in the last week I lost 2lbs (another 1lb since my sly mid-week weigh in on Wednesday) taking me down to 13stone 12lbs (194lbs). I'm going to update my target weight in my profile (and my slider) to 13stone (182lbs) and I can always take it lower if I want to when I reach this target.

This all means that I've only got 12 more pounds to lose! That should take me 8-10 weeks at my current rate. It is possible before my target date of May 25!!

Still worried about my belly, so still going at this new-regime great guns... That said, I did bite the head off a small Lindt chocolate bunny the other evening...:D

Anyway, weighed in this morning (my now weekly naughtly-sly-weigh-in) and it seems I'm 13stone 11lbs now! Wohoo! Things are still moving at least. Not really noticing my belly getting any smaller though. At this rate I have a sneaky suspicion I will still have a prominent belly at 13stone... if so, I'll just have to go lower!

I'm still weight-lifting 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri) and along with 4-times a week aerobics I hope it is helping my weight-loss. No new muscles though (can't afford to waste calories on protein-shakes just yet).

The belly-problem worries me a bit. I don't want to end up a skinny little stick-insect just to eradicate my belly, but it looks like I'm going to have to... My face, arms, legs, most of my chest look ok now (not too fat) but the belly looks awful, and there are still some love-handles.

If I go to 12 and a half stone I'll probably be really quite thin... but then its a good place to start bulking with protein I suppose.

Been distracted looking at new clothes in catalogues lately. Not buying yet though! need to loose the belly first!

Easter Sunday and doing ok... ate an easter egg though (only a modestly sized one mind-you) but at 400cals that's more than I'd wanted! Nonetheless, if my only concession to my old lifestyle is an Easter Egg on Easter Sunday then I'm doing ok!

Also, considering we had a kids birthday party for 21 8-year olds at home yesterday with all the yummy sweet treats that 8-year olds like, and I managed to avoid almost all of it - I think I'm doing quite well!!

Weighed in this morning - 13stone 9lbs, that's a 3lb loss this week! Not bad going at all, considering....

Off to see my mother again tomorrow - hope to manage another generally low-fat day. Bought "My Fitness Coach" for the Wii on Thursday - used it twice already. Although they're not exactly the funnest fitness routines (the music is a bit bland and there's no real human there to encourage you along) the exercise programmes themselves are excellent. The intensity is tailored to personal requirements and can be increased and decreased as required. Most useful feature is the ability to select exactly how long you want to exercise for. If I can only manage 15 mins it will do a 15 min workout. I hope to try a 45min session this evening (to counter about a quarter of that easter egg!)

Quite pleased with the weight loss this week though, and hoping to dip below 13 and a half stone by next weekend... although I've noticed I seem to manage a reasonable loss every 2-3weeks, rather than a sustained loss every week, so I might have to wait for that one.

Hey Tony
Happy easter! :D

Your progress is amazing. I got a wii + wii fit about two weeks ago as a prezzie, but have exams in 2 weeks so haven't used it much, might take it out now - especially since my gym's been closed since friday for easter :^).
I weigh myself compulsively too, so ima try to stop, cos it can demotivate you sometimes. :^)

confession time...

I just ate a Maltesers Easter Egg. 370calories. :cry:

I don't know why I did it. I feel dirty now.

At least I did a 45min workout this morning (and last night also) so that'll help.

I wish the kids would hurry up and eat their Easter eggs. Its getting bloody ridiculous having so much chocolate all around me at the moment. Not that this is an excuse...

Back