Topaz's diary of determination

But Jo, I did badly yesterday.

Went ott yesterday. Menu looked fine but I added to it. Ate too much rhubarb with yogurt, including a yogurt that was fructose sweetened. Also a lot of veg. Then found a half bar of nougat left over by grandchildren. Amazing how delicious such things can be, before you stop to think. So very strict PP day today.

B herb omelette
Snack plain yogurt with 2 teasps rhubarb
L Chicken, oatbran blinis, with no wheat bran. Maybe quark and herb spread.
D more chicken, maybe small piece smoked mackerel. Sweet blini and yogurt with Dukan orange flavouring

Mmm yum I had forgotten nougat existed! I used to love it when it came attached to the rice paper in the good old days!!

I'm booked on a swimming holiday in August, swimming between islands off the tip of Cornwall. It's great, I did it last year, but the longest swim is 3.5km, so if I want to do it I need to step up to at least near that. One can cop out and get into the boat, but it's so beautiful under the water, very clear and full of growing and swimming things. Sort of makes the lengths in the pool worth while.

Got up early to swim, what a pain, trouble at the pool and can't open till later. Have to go tomorrow instead, but out late tonight. Good bit is, lost the weight put on after minibinge, plus another 1lb. So keep on it today.

Last night I got the munchies again, but this time managed to make a sweet souffle omelette instead of going ott. I'll post it in recipes as it's quite nice.

I'm booked on a swimming holiday in August, swimming between islands off the tip of Cornwall. It's great, I did it last year, but the longest swim is 3.5km, so if I want to do it I need to step up to at least near that. One can cop out and get into the boat, but it's so beautiful under the water, very clear and full of growing and swimming things. Sort of makes the lengths in the pool worth while.

That sounds amazing, Topaz! I've heard of hiking and cycling holidays, but never a swimming one. What an excellent idea!

The most I've ever swam is 1 mile, although I only stopped because I ran out of time during my session and could have gone on for longer. I've never ever swam in the sea before either. Mind you, we stopped using our local swimming baths when they closed it down due to Legionnaire's disease so we haven't been for a long, long time.

You mention how lovely it is under the water. Do you use a snorkel for these island-hopping swims, or do you just keep popping your face in the water to take a look every now and again?

You mention how lovely it is under the water. Do you use a snorkel for these island-hopping swims, or do you just keep popping your face in the water to take a look every now and again?
No need for a snorkel, with open water swimming goggles you see a lot, you just breathe as normal for crawl and keep looking down. Or breast stroke with head under except for breaths. I did some snorkelling too but for island hopping you swim normally. Anyone who can swim a mile can swim two or three with practice and attention to technique. Swimtrek divide the group into speedy, middling and slow, arranging each swim so you all end up arriving roughly together. It's great fun with good people. Sea swimming is something to get used to, though. A bit scary if you only swim in a pool.

Went to a ceilidh last night, took own diet drinks which were fine, but the only food I could eat there was cheese by thinking Atkins, plus two small pickled onions. Resisted the gorgeous bread with lovely crispy top that someone had supplied. I know, should have taken own food, but went mildly on strike. Dances were great, a particularly good duo playing and calling.
So food yesterday was egg on DD toast, with ham. L baked salmon and other half of toast, yogurt with goji berries x 2 as snack, D about a large matchbox size of cheese + pickled onion and 2 baby gherkins.

No need for a snorkel, with open water swimming goggles you see a lot, you just breathe as normal for crawl and keep looking down. Or breast stroke with head under except for breaths. I did some snorkelling too but for island hopping you swim normally. Anyone who can swim a mile can swim two or three with practice and attention to technique. Swimtrek divide the group into speedy, middling and slow, arranging each swim so you all end up arriving roughly together. It's great fun with good people. Sea swimming is something to get used to, though. A bit scary if you only swim in a pool.

Great idea about dividing into groups based on speed. Whilst I'm a pretty strong swimmer and have tons of stamina, I'm anything but fast!

Sounds as though I'd definitely need to ease into it if we ever considered giving the island hopping a try. My husband rather likes swimming in the sea, so I'm sure he'd be up for it.

Thanks so much for the info! :)

As for the ceilidh, you probably worked off the cheese - ceilidh dancing can be pretty wild and enthusiastic. I love it!

Great idea about dividing into groups based on speed. Whilst I'm a pretty strong swimmer and have tons of stamina, I'm anything but fast!
t!

It also means they have smaller groups to keep an eye on, they always have three support boats, one for each group. If you get too tired you can hop into one. They keep reminding you it's a holiday! We also swam with the young seals. Max total for the holiday is 15 people, so not a crowd. Look them up online (Swimtrek).

It also means they have smaller groups to keep an eye on, they always have three support boats, one for each group. If you get too tired you can hop into one. They keep reminding you it's a holiday! We also swam with the young seals. Max total for the holiday is 15 people, so not a crowd. Look them up online (Swimtrek).

Thanks, Topaz. The website looks excellent. I'm trying to persuade my husband, but he's not sounding too keen at the moment. I'll persevere, though! :)

Just been bingeing on toffee and mixed spiced oatbran mini muffins. Really nice, and no harm done, but eating the lot is not a good sign. I've always found it too easy to eat a whole packet of something..

That's my problem, too.

If something's there but unopened, then I can usually resist it. But when that wrapper or lid is broken into, then it takes all my willpower not to dive in.

I've found that putting the offending goodies away out of my sight, preferably upstairs behind a closed door helps considerably, keeping them out of easy reach.

Putting stuff away doesn't really work for me, I just go and get it out again. Key with OH might work for some, I just have to ensure I don't buy in the first place.

Yesterday, PV
B Omelette, ham. Tomatoes
L all my toffee oatbran mini muffins, smoked mackerel leftover, yogurt with rhubarb
D devilled mackerel, asparagus. Small ice-cream, yoghurt and rhubarb.

Today PP
B.. Dry fried egg on DD toast, yoghurt with rhubarb. Coffee
L.. Not sure, ham I think.
D extra low fat mince burgers with herbs and garlic.

Heigh ho, friend staying and two concerts in a row. Can't eat before them, never feel hungry then, but after them was ravenous. Friend coerced me into two drinks, not with difficulty either. So this week is STS and back on the wagons today.

Today, remains of gravad lax for breakfast, chicken curry with Dukan bread for lunch. D will probably be egg on toast.

That's excellent, what a boost. :) I am looking forward to shopping and clearing my wardrobe.

Yeah I'm only 5'4" though! And you are doing just fine at the mo. It's funny how much easier it seems when looking forwards or back than at the time! I'm constantly falling for some social pressure or another. Today I went for an Alto Sax lesson that I won, and accepted with tea a delicious sticky thing made of oats and cornflakes. Very weak and anxious to please! Sax lesson was fun too.

Last edited:
Back