Topaz's diary of determination

Really just started properly at the start of September and am only managing a kilometre in 35 mins - will have to improve on speed. Would love the sea I think, the bliss of not having to turn every 20m. Glad you enjoyed yourself, sounds idyllic. :)Xx

My time is just under 30 mins per k so not quick. So far I've only been the slowest in one group holiday out of three. I'm working on my technique a bit to speed up - Swim Smooth and Total Immersion have really good online video clips. It's more important that you can do the distance, and the Greek one has some of the furthest swims. Swimtrek also do Turkey, Sardinia and others that are not so far. I was the oldest in the group on this one! Ouch! Also the fattest!

Thanks for the recipe, and swimtrek sounds amazing. I was looking at the website and am sorely tempted for next year - have there been any backstrokers on the hols you've been on?

Sorry Cal dreaming, been to my mother's so not logged on. I'm a backstroker actually, but I can tell you it's almost impossible in the trek circumstances. You can't keep straight, waves dump in your mouth, and I find I get a bit dizzy. So front crawl. But backstroke is really good to combine with crawl training as it balances all the muscles. I've had to learn crawl from scratch this year, starting with some coaching then doing the training with the help of online video clips.

Ho hum back to the programme! It's a real help to have the people on this site to read, as it does focus the mind again after a gap. I wish I could avoid bingeing in social circumstances, last night was bad as my choir had a quiz night to raise money and all the prizes were chocs. I ate about five, plus crisps and nuts. Certainly won't weigh self today, as salt alone will have increased my weight with water!

My time is just under 30 mins per k so not quick. So far I've only been the slowest in one group holiday out of three. I'm working on my technique a bit to speed up - Swim Smooth and Total Immersion have really good online video clips. It's more important that you can do the distance, and the Greek one has some of the furthest swims. Swimtrek also do Turkey, Sardinia and others that are not so far. I was the oldest in the group on this one! Ouch! Also the fattest!

I need to work on my technique too. Will check out those online videos. I do freestyle but have been thinking lately that i'll have to do a few lengths backstroke just to vary up. Had lost a bit of my mojo before mid-term. My pool was having all sorts of trouble heating the water - freezing for a few days, then roasting for nearly a week. Totally threw me out of my rhythm. :(
hope all will be normal when I return on Monday morning. Swim trek looks
fab - would be nervous about going by myself. ( big baby, I know! :p)

One thing I have decided is that I need to vary my exercise - was solely swimming for a few weeks there but I think I need to join a Pilates class to lengthen the muscles. Do you do any other form of exercise, Topaz?

Swim trek looks
fab - would be nervous about going by myself. ( big baby, I know! :p)

One thing I have decided is that I need to vary my exercise - was solely swimming for a few weeks there but I think I need to join a Pilates class to lengthen the muscles. Do you do any other form of exercise, Topaz?
I do Pilates, was one mat class per week and occasionally equipment but at the mo it's just the equipment one each week. I've been doing it 4 years and it's changed my life. I couldn't sit cross legged or comfortably pick things off the floor. My family has early onset arthritis, and though I was spared it at 40 it's crept up but now no probs with it.
On the three Swimtrek hols I've been on the majority have been singles, another reason for it suiting me as after demise of OH I didn't feel like a solo holiday. So far all the groups have been great. Greece was my first holiday abroad on my own and it really was brilliant as I spent two days in Naxos on my own exploring, met some interesting people too, then joined the really great group of people on the swimming week. So go for it!

Swim trek is something I'll put on the to do list - will be holidaying in Switz. next summer though and hope to do some lake swimming.

I did Pilates before and felt really strong and flexible. I've been doing a fair bit of walking the past week and am flabbergasted at how stiff and achey I feel. Will be checking out if my old class is still running when I get home next week.

Just stumbled across this site Splashpath | Find your local swimming pools which looks like a bit of fun and a motivation boost. There's 8 swimming challenges. I've signed up to swim the Irish Sea challenge - just under 100,000m. You can see your progress across the sea on a little map. :D

Hope you having a good day! :)Xx

Thanks for the link to Splashpath Lausanne. I've already signed up and completed two of the smaller challenges. Such a good incentive to actually get in the pool.

Hmm. After family staying on and off for the last month waving wine, cheese and curry at me (so I fell), I'm now back on DD. Weight stable but no more lost, so still have just short of a stone to go. Today, PP:

Omelette (1egg), prawns with garlic, smoked salmon
Yogurt with orange flavour and Splenda
Chicken
Snack boiled egg and prawn with herby yog
Oatbran spicy toast

Back