Tories today say "It's your own fault if you're overweight"

Georgiestar - I should have put that I had lost weight because I had been ill!!!

When I was at university I had a maths lecturer who told us that when teaching graphs and charts etc NEVER to use weight of the kids as data to collect. His daughter was anorexic and she put it down to being in year 6 and was the tallest (and was the heaviest) and her teacher made them all weight themselves and used the data in the whole class teaching. That combined with being nervous going to high school started her eating less (which then spiralled).

People need to think about what they say and do. (Oh the irony of me teaching about being healthy to year 5 weighing 14stone 10lbs...actually we were a 'healthy eating school' but the head was over 20 stone)

When I was at university I had a maths lecturer who told us that when teaching graphs and charts etc NEVER to use weight of the kids as data to collect. His daughter was anorexic and she put it down to being in year 6 and was the tallest (and was the heaviest) and her teacher made them all weight themselves and used the data in the whole class teaching. That combined with being nervous going to high school started her eating less (which then spiralled).

I mind the maths teacher doing that with our class in second/third year in 1994/5. I refused to be weighed and she put pressure on me until I said yes. It was humilating. Only slightly less embarrassing thing was a boy in the class was about same size as me so instead of one weighing over whatever kg it was there was 2. :rolleyes: :eek:

I remember the ice cold fear of being forced to get weighed in front of a whole class of typically cruel teenagers in a science lesson at secondary school, and then again soon after during a healthy schools week.

It had the really 'healthy' result of my barely eating for 6 months after that and losing half my body weight, plus most of my confidence and self respect. :(

Don't worry though... I'm ok now... :crazy:

There are some real arses who are teachers. Cant stand them. There are LOTS who arent like that tho. In a staff INSET if they were demonstrating numeracy statistic lessons, would they ask the staff to be weighed??? The straight answer would be "no" because nobody would agree to it.

Teachers can make or break a person with the smallest comment. I just wish more were aware of the impact they can have (OR more contraversially (sp??) I wish there were far less who were on a power trip). Sorry!! Rant over. It just really gets my goat.

i couldn't agree with babycake more. Its a known fact that a lot of people's weight reflects their emotional state. Therefore is it any wonder that in this country where family breakdown, depression and unemployment and the cost of living is rising there is a rising problem of emotional overeating.
I'm not making excuses because at the end of the day people are in control of themselves, however to just target the nations rising problem with weight is only treating the symptom and not the underlying cause.

I have to take responsibility for my weight gain, just like I now take the positive comments for losing it. I've always known that eating high fat/sugar food will put weight on you, but I was lazy and ordering a pizza was easier then taking time to prepare a healthy nutritious meal. Its was all my fault - no one elses. I think most people know what foods are healthy and which are not, but dieting is VERY HARD. I watched a guy on the news last night. He is obese and needs some surgery, but the NHS will not do it (for money reasons). When I saw him, I thought rather then spending thousands of pounds on an operation, why not put him on Lipotrim or the Cambridge diet. He WILL lose the weight and the costs will be so much lower. Instead of his body being put through the trauma of an operation with the increased risks involved due to his weight, he will lose weight in a healthy manner. The problem is TFR diets are really tough and lots of people cannot stick to them....but is this the NHS fault? I'm not sure it is.

I am fat because I am greedy. No other reason. I understand that emotional issues contribute to eating issue sometimes, but ultimately it is ludicrous to make them both mutually exclusive. Bad things happen to thin people too, and they don't overeat. I think the issue lies in separating the emotional issues from the eating issues.

There always seems to be an excuse for putting on weight, rough times, being content, eating to celebrate. The reason most people are fat is because they eat too much, and don't excercise enough. I don't mean to offend anybody but I know a lot of overweight people and they all have one thing in common- too much munching!!

I'd have to say as a child my weight problems were my parents fault, every night we would have a take away (no lie) and I was spoiled which meant I was given money whenever I asked for chocolate and sweets I was never taught to cook or advised on healthy options.

As an adult my weight is my fault I am only now after 7 years of living without my parents re-educating myself and learning how to cook

I am fat because I am greedy. No other reason. I understand that emotional issues contribute to eating issue sometimes, but ultimately it is ludicrous to make them both mutually exclusive. Bad things happen to thin people too, and they don't overeat. I think the issue lies in separating the emotional issues from the eating issues.

There always seems to be an excuse for putting on weight, rough times, being content, eating to celebrate. The reason most people are fat is because they eat too much, and don't excercise enough. I don't mean to offend anybody but I know a lot of overweight people and they all have one thing in common- too much munching!!

I wasn't making excuses.
Only putting forward another reason why 'some' also overeat.
You are right a lot of slim people also have the same heartache and stress (feelings of lack of control) in their lives, and some will go onto become anorexic for the same reasons others will eat until they feel sick.
Others won't use food (or lack of) at all. Its all to do with how different people cope.

Personally I didn't put on weight because I was greedy, I've never had any problems with overeating. I put on weight because of lack of mobility during pregnancy (oh and going overdue by 2 and a half weeks didn't help either lol).
I remember keeping my weight gain really low and still being a maternity size 8s until about 35 weeks then it became really painful to walk so I just sat in front of the tv lol. Up until I got pregnant I was a 8st.

Once I lose this weight now i'm sure I won't be putting it back on again because I don't eat enough too (unless I get preggers again though of course!)

I have always been very confident, happy, sexy and outgoing, but four years ago I was gang raped on the street by four men. I didn't have the skills to deal with what this meant for me emotionally so I forced myself to carry on life as the confident, happy, sexy and outgoing person I had always been. But it didn't work. The pain that I wasn't letting myself feel manifested it's self as a binge eating disorder and as a result I put on 35kg.

It is the fault of those four men that my life
(and my body) has changed like this.

But I do recognise that I am the only one who can change it back. My body needed a way to tell me that i'm not okay and unfortunately making my self fat was that way. But now I am able to recognise that I need help, counselling, and that I need to learn how to be strong again...and in doing so I will become healthy again.

I do agree that people can't go around blaming television adverts and fast food chains for making them fat. But I don't think a politician should be able to make a statement that encourages all people to think that those of us who are fat can just "eat less" at the drop of the hat. In a lot of cases yes. But in many cases it is far more psychologically complex.

I hate the tories, and I don't think I have ever agreed with a single thing they have said.

But, I admit I agree with this (however, I am going by what is said here-I have neither heard nor read what he actually said).

There are some medical conditions which can predispose a person to being overweight and make it difficult for them to lose weight. But, in my opinion, on the whole, it is an individuals choices which lead him or her to being overweight.

Values parents instill in their children and the way children are taught about food and weight issues at school will have some impact, but on the whole, the responsibility for an individuals weight lies with that individual.

Back