Tracy's Journey Into The Unknown (Maintenance!!)

toofatkat said:
Tracy stop saying you're old and mature! I'm only 5 years behind you and I'm not ready to be that mature yet. Old age is going to arrive slowly I hope. (Apart from my old knackered joints which I can't do anything about)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Lol, sorry Kat. :) I don't feel old mentally, just physically at the moment because I'm going through a bad patch healthwise - these things are sent to try us, eh?! But I know I'm not bad compared to a lot of people, so I always try to bear that in mind. :) xx

Hello, anyone who's reading! A lovely new friend of mine on here (hello Sharon!) asked where my diary was, and I was immediately ashamed of it due to my pathetic failure to keep updating it, lol. So I'm resolved to at least come on here occasionally and not just keep posting in other people's threads!

So, on the weight loss front nothing much is new with me. I'm currently at 83.8kg, so 13st 4lbs. That gives me a total loss to date of 8st 4lbs, which is not a bad thing to remind myself of from time to time, as it's coming off soooo slowly now! I've set my target at 12st 7lbs, which is still in the overweight BMI category by 11lbs, but I think I'd be pushing it to go much lower. I do, inevitably, have a certain amount of loose skin, although nowhere near as bad as I've seen on other people who've lost a lot, both on TV and sometimes on here. This means that BMI becomes even less of a reliable measure than usual, because it doesn't take things like that into account, so I'm happy to settle for a slightly higher target. :) I'm weighing monthly, at the end of each month, with my interim target being to shift another half stone by the August bank holiday for Lexie's latest challenge (1.5lbs down so far, slowly does it, lol).

In other areas, things aren't so brilliant, as I've got a few health problems. :( I suppose it started a couple of months back, when I had a nasty, lingering cold. Nothing special for most people, but when you've got ME it can be quite serious. Sure enough, I'm now going through a nasty ME relapse, where I feel ill and in pain all the time, very weak, the smallest things exhaust me etc. I went to the doctor's last week because there are a couple of symptoms I now get that are fairly new - chest palpitations and intermittent abdominal pain - plus I'm having such problems with both my knees now that I can walk hardly any distance at all. Wow, I sound like a wreck when I type it all out, lol. :D Anyway, the doc is sending me for an ECG, a knee x-ray, and a scan on my gall bladder, so we'll see what comes of all that. Meanwhile, my lovely boss is being really supportive and is letting me work at home quite a bit, as just getting into the office and sitting at my desk for 8 hours is totally draining amd very painful. I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home in my job, as we can log onto the work systems and do everything that we can there. So I sit here on the sofa, feet up, propped up on pillows, doing my accountancy thing, lol. :)

Gosh, that sounded like a moan fest didn't it? I do apologise!! I'm not particularly down about it, just a bit weary of the constant flare ups of this damned illness that I've now had for 24 years!! But as I just said to Kat above, I know that so many people have things so much worse, so I try to keep it in perspective. :)

Anyway, that's me at the moment, I'll try to update more often, even if it's only waffle! :) xx

I think you've done amazing Tracy :) especially as i think pain and the exhaustion that comes with it actually makes weight loss harder. I hope we both feel better soon :)

toofatkat said:
I think you've done amazing Tracy :) especially as i think pain and the exhaustion that comes with it actually makes weight loss harder. I hope we both feel better soon :)

Thank you, Kat, I really appreciate that. :) I hope you're ok, and that the problems you've mentioned are getting sorted out. :) xx

Must agree you have done amazingly well! Hope you figure out how to get your ME back under control.

Plum foodie has ME too and she has been doing paleo/ primal plus various supplements and its seems to help..

following primal blueprint and experimenting with the 5:2 fasting diet

Mis-behave said:
Must agree you have done amazingly well! Hope you figure out how to get your ME back under control.

Plum foodie has ME too and she has been doing paleo/ primal plus various supplements and its seems to help..

following primal blueprint and experimenting with the 5:2 fasting diet

Thank you, Tara, it's a right pain in the bum (and everywhere else, lol). I've considered dietary changes, as I know they can help, and I certainly am eating a lot better than I used to - lots more fruit, veg and nuts and much less wheat - and when I'm not relapsing like now I have felt a lot better. But I know I still eat too much processed food in my main meals (I've always readily confessed to being queen of the ready meal!), and addressing that is something I may look at in the future, though it would be a big lifestyle change. How are you doing - is your shoulder all better now? :) xx

Thanks Tracy I doubt the main problem will be sorted in the short term but its my brother in law that's got the problem but we all have to deal with the fallout. My knee and other joints are very bad at the minute and I've had to go back on my meds which I didn't want to do as I've not really had many to speak of since I lost most of my weight. It's been manageable till now. Maybe they'll have to do the knee replacement sooner rather than later after all

Anyway. I know you're the self confessed queen of the ready meal :) but just a nosy question you don't have to answer. Have you always eaten them or did you cook properly when your kids were little and living st home? Only wondering because as you know I cook everything and the one time I bought 'posh' ready meals from an organic place. My youngest Emily ( she was about 7 at the time) refused to eat it because she said it wasn't proper food!

8st4lbs is absolutely amazing! You are a inspiration to everyone.

toofatkat said:
Thanks Tracy I doubt the main problem will be sorted in the short term but its my brother in law that's got the problem but we all have to deal with the fallout. My knee and other joints are very bad at the minute and I've had to go back on my meds which I didn't want to do as I've not really had many to speak of since I lost most of my weight. It's been manageable till now. Maybe they'll have to do the knee replacement sooner rather than later after all

Anyway. I know you're the self confessed queen of the ready meal :) but just a nosy question you don't have to answer. Have you always eaten them or did you cook properly when your kids were little and living st home? Only wondering because as you know I cook everything and the one time I bought 'posh' ready meals from an organic place. My youngest Emily ( she was about 7 at the time) refused to eat it because she said it wasn't proper food!

Umm....I've always eaten like that, and my daughter's still living at home (she's 13). I hang my head in shame (though to be honest, Kathryn tends to eat elsewhere a lot of the time). I know it's not an excuse really, but working full time with ME totally exhausts me, so cooking is something I don't expend my precious energy on. I know, it's not good, but my life is one big balancing act as I can't afford not to work full time. :) xx

Kat, also I hope your family problems get sorted before too long. With your knee, what have they told you about a replacement? I've been told not until I'm 60 unless it gets really bad, so I'm just going to have to keep going back when I'm struggling like now. :) xx

PurpleMum said:
8st4lbs is absolutely amazing! You are a inspiration to everyone.

Oh, thank you so much! How are you doing at the moment? Are you having a lot of ME related problems? :) xx

I was told 50 and that was in 2005. Do not long to go now hopefully. I was given a knee brace called an unloader which although a bit bulky dies help for the majority of the time. Although because you overcompensate my hip and other knee are now going :( not good

Could you not teach your Kathryn to cook whole you supervise once a week and do a couple of larger meals that you can divide up and freeze in portion sizes. I know it's debilitating. A friend if mine hasn't worked for two years bows because of ME

toofatkat said:
I was told 50 and that was in 2005. Do not long to go now hopefully. I was given a knee brace called an unloader which although a bit bulky dies help for the majority of the time. Although because you overcompensate my hip and other knee are now going :( not good

Could you not teach your Kathryn to cook whole you supervise once a week and do a couple of larger meals that you can divide up and freeze in portion sizes. I know it's debilitating. A friend if mine hasn't worked for two years bows because of ME

Amazing how you get different rules in different parts of the country? I've asked to be referred back to the hospital, so we'll see. :)

I'll have to see what I can do on the cooking front, lol. I hardly ever see Kathryn - she's at that age where, if she isn't actually out with her friends, she in her room talking to them on Facetime! It's certainly a different world to when I was her age! But I do suspect I'd have lived on the internet as a teenager if they'd had it then!! :D xx

cavegirl13 said:
You have lost a whole me.:eek: A whole person.:)

Lol, quite scary when you put it like that!! Come to think about it, my lowest weight as an adult was 8.5 stone (which was underweight for my height), so I've nearly lost a whole 20 year old me too! I would never try to be that light again though. How much have you lost? :) xx

Tracy's Post-Op Countdown to the Big 5-0

Tracy worth going back re knees. My sister was told no wait until she was older but then the ligaments and tendons started pulling away from the bones causing more pain problems and problems with her back and hip - they just did arthroscopy before. But a few weeks back she's now had her first knee replacement and other being don in Sept so do speak up if it's causing you problems. She's 51.

Aquasharine said:
Tracy worth going back re knees. My sister was told no wait until she was older but then the ligaments and tendons started pulling away from the bones causing more pain problems and problems with her back and hip - they just did arthroscopy before. But a few weeks back she's now had her first knee replacement and other being don in Sept so do speak up if it's causing you problems. She's 51.

Thanks, Sharon, that's heartening to hear. They did say that if I started having worse problems I should go back, so I went to my GP last week to try to get the wheels in motion again. I struggled so badly after my microfracture surgery a year ago that I'm reluctant to have another procedure that won't help, but I'll have to see what they say. Maybe the fact that it's now both knees will help my case, but I don't know.

How are you getting on today? I've been working from home, but getting a bit frustrated with my numbers because they won't add up! :) xx

Aquasharine said:
Manic day at work and been feeling a but under the wether - viral thing I think, but diet has been fine - took some Malaysian chicken and red pepper curry to work for lunch and made chicken sweet and sour from the SW Asian cookbook tonight - really tasty an have small portion for work lunch tomorrow :)

Ooh, you're making me hungry again! I don't eat my main meal until 9.30pm, so getting a little peckish now. :) xx

Back