Transverse lie

bajoleth

Gold Member
Hi all as i have just updated in my Diary my little madam has decided to be in a Transverse position, I am 33 weeks. The MW has said there is a chance that she could turn and will check me in 2 weeks time to see what is happening. Has anyone experienced a Transverse lie and what was the outcome, thanks Jo

DS was transverse and I was told by every obstetrician that it was an automatic Caesar for any baby still transverse at due date or when you go into labour as it is risky for mother and child. But then DS was a Caesar for a whole load of non-negotiable reasons, being transverse at delivery was only one of them.

This pregnancy was transverse until about a week ago - it turned at 35-36 weeks so you've definitely still time for it to move. I've often read that first babies usually turn relatively early or not at all but that subsequent ones can turn very late so I wouldn't give up hope yet! I think wait and see if it turns of its own accord.

Thanks, I have been reading up this afternoon and it seems the more babies you have had the more 'loose' your abdo muscles will be so she has plenty of room to move so she will most likely move into a more appropriate position. I hope so anyway as I have read about the danger of cord prolapse and bed rest even hospitalisation after 36 weeks all due to transverse lie!

My baby has moved from transverse to normal at 35-36 weeks and it's only my second pregnancy and I never even started labour with the first child so being as this is your fifth I reckon you still have a good chance that it will turn.

If it doesn't turn, then I doubt you'll have any choice but to have a C-section as it's considered pretty much impossible to deliver a transverse baby vaginally but there's no point worrying about that at this stage.

I know a couple of friends who've had transverse babies also and it didn't cause any hospitalisation or other probs apart from the inconvenience of a section - but at least a planned section is calmer than an emergency one. I had lots of probs carrying DS but being transverse didn't really cause any probs in itself, apart from being yet another reason for a Caesar.

Some people say you can do exercises to encourage the baby to move but I don't know if they actually work and with your SPD they might be too painful.

Hi, my son was transverse at 36weeks and turned back by himself. I'm sure your little one will turn soon. Lots of leaning forward and no slouching is what I was told to do. Good luck xx

Well I am getting myself totally paranoid over what position she is in now:(. Am I the only person who can't tell what is what apart from the obvious leg or foot, it all feels like a ball to me and when I think I have found her head and follow it around to her back etc it doesn't make any sense:confused: I know I should just relax about it as there is not much I can do about it but I can't help getting a bit obsessed about it :rolleyes:

dont worry im as confused as you :0)
been told for ages that little man is head down , was told last week hes engaged , but i was in the hospital yesterday some severe swelling checked out and was told his head was engaged but hes slightly transverse and perhaps a bit back to back????? is that even possible? im trying not to completely freak out :0) im so uncomfortable , horrible pelvis pain , period type cramping and random contractions that dont lead to anything so all i need now is to be freaking out about babies lie :0) although , i think i am anyway :0) !!!!

sorry rant over :eek: feel much better for that .... can you tell im soooo over this LOL xxx
hope you lovely ladies are all well today x

dont worry im as confused as you :0)
been told for ages that little man is head down , was told last week hes engaged , but i was in the hospital yesterday some severe swelling checked out and was told his head was engaged but hes slightly transverse and perhaps a bit back to back????? is that even possible? x

Sounds like you're giving birth to a contortionist or some kind of circus performer!

Oh dear I hope he sorts himself out soon and the MW decide which way he is lying as you could be any day now. I think it must be possible to be transverse and back to back as I can def feel kicks and punches towrd my front, so if little one is lying accross my tummy her back must be toward my back sort of like a dying fly position:p
I think what is concerning me the most is the amount of messing about for me that lies in store should she still be in this position next tues. I will then be sent for a scan (no worries about that) but then there will be the consultants (who is not very nice) advice or desicion in her case:mad: as to whether they will attempt to turn her or whether it will be a c section. Then if its decided she is to be a section what if she turns before it, will they let me go full term where there is the likelihood she could revert to transverse etc etc etc. It is also worrying me that Transverse is the most dangerous of the presentations due to cord or limb prolapse, my head is swimming with it all at the moment can't wait until next tues so I will be more clear about things :confused: Sorry to moan on I just can't get it out of my head :(

Back