Treat Night / Cheat Night

stivesliz said:
Bit of info - I DIDN'T have a cheat night last week and lost 4 and a half pounds this week!!!!

That tells you everything then ;) lol well done :)

stivesliz said:
And ........after today's WI I wont be having a treat either - I really really really want to get to target and as my goal approaches my treat night will be the first thing to go! x

Had another good loss?

When I was on my weight loss journey (as now at target) I never had a cheat night, just was soooooooooooooooooooo in the zone, thinking back perhaps a little too much if thats possible. I didnt have any alcohol or meals out much and although I never gained at all getting to target thinking back I dont think an occasional glass of wine and naughty meal would have harmed. In fact my losses slowed down quite a lot and I think perhaps my body went into starvation mode as I often didnt have all my syns. I now have a cheeky glass of wine etc and some weeks still lose.

Have you read this thread? The OP has said that she had a big loss NOT having a cheat night!!!

No, cheat nights don't work. It's all extra calories which must be got rid of somehow!!

I have had a cheat/treat night every week since joining BUT I am very good through the week and dont use all my syns so I have managed to get away with it.....................BUT.............not I am getting nearer to target they have to go! I wouldnt advise them, unless you have been ultra good through the week x

I have a treat night every week I wi on Monday - I'm 100% all day no syns and then have a meal "off plan" I never count the syns but it's only the one meal rather than a day or entire night.

It keeps me on track for the rest of the week else I feel deprived but I do think it makes my losses smaller but just be that or cheat all week!

my theory is if you can have a flex day once a week this is it!

And in order to keep this going for a lifetime I can't exclude completely! X

*well done hun*!!!

It's got to make a difference in my opinion. Fab news.

Thanks Jaylou x I knew that as I approached target something would have to go lol. Tonight I am at my book group meeting and we all bring a plate of food and I assure you, none of it is SW friendly but I am not gonna be a glutton and just have ONE helping lol x

I have a treat night every week I wi on Monday - I'm 100% all day no syns and then have a meal "off plan" I never count the syns but it's only the one meal rather than a day or entire night.

It keeps me on track for the rest of the week else I feel deprived but I do think it makes my losses smaller but just be that or cheat all week!

my theory is if you can have a flex day once a week this is it!

And in order to keep this going for a lifetime I can't exclude completely! X

Quite true. It really is each to their own but this is how I would do it....

Work out what the syns were in my "off plan" meal and deduct them from my 70 or 105 syns a week and then take it from there. It's about being in control for me. If I want pizza and it's 40 syns then I only have 30 for the rest of the week. Looking at it like that might make me only have half a pizza with a jacket potato or wedges instead.

Once at target this is the sort of thing you can then have without worrying about it, as you said, it is one meal - but it all still counts.
Sometimes working it all out can be quite a shock!

Like I said though, just my opinion on the matter.

jaylou said:
Quite true. It really is each to their own but this is how I would do it....

Work out what the syns were in my "off plan" meal and deduct them from my 70 or 105 syns a week and then take it from there. It's about being in control for me. If I want pizza and it's 40 syns then I only have 30 for the rest of the week. Looking at it like that might make me only have half a pizza with a jacket potato or wedges instead.

Once at target this is the sort of thing you can then have without worrying about it, as you said, it is one meal - but it all still counts.
Sometimes working it all out can be quite a shock!

Like I said though, just my opinion on the matter.

I think the biggest issue comes when it's not a treat night but a binge night- a meal is different to an entire day or evening spent gorging!

Yeah I completely understand your point and I have tried that in the past but only having 30syns for the following 6days doesn't work for me I then may go a syn over but I've then failed an spirals outta control.

So the compromise I came to was treat night was only ok if I didn't gain!

I have an awareness of how many syns my treat is but knowing that that is my treat and the rest of week ahead needs to be 100% keeps me focused its also nice to have a day where I'm not completely focused on counting foods!

But like you said everyone needs to find what works for them! I'm sure as I approach target it won't work quite so well for me but ATM if it keeps me going I'll get there!

I didn't gain all my weight in 6 months so I sure won't loose it that quick so I need Sw to be forever and at least this way I can do it.

Most people diet or not have a treat once a week and I personally hope to keep this pattern even when at target!

But I'll hold the syn idea in mind for when it stops working! Xx

I think the biggest issue comes when it's not a treat night but a binge night- a meal is different to an entire day or evening spent gorging!

Yeah I completely understand your point and I have tried that in the past but only having 30syns for the following 6days doesn't work for me I then may go a syn over but I've then failed an spirals outta control.

So the compromise I came to was treat night was only ok if I didn't gain!

I have an awareness of how many syns my treat is but knowing that that is my treat and the rest of week ahead needs to be 100% keeps me focused its also nice to have a day where I'm not completely focused on counting foods!

But like you said everyone needs to find what works for them! I'm sure as I approach target it won't work quite so well for me but ATM if it keeps me going I'll get there!

I didn't gain all my weight in 6 months so I sure won't loose it that quick so I need Sw to be forever and at least this way I can do it.

Most people diet or not have a treat once a week and I personally hope to keep this pattern even when at target!

But I'll hold the syn idea in mind for when it stops working! Xx

Completely agree Mizkirsty - as I said earlier on in this thread, some of my class get weighed on a Tuesday morning and then basically binge all day. I have a cereal bar and fruit at class whilst selling the raffle tickets, a normal lunch when I get home and then whatever I fancy for dinner - if its a takeaway then usually fish and chips or if I am having a meal with friends I try and schedule for WI night. I dont really want to spend all week catching up what I have put on on a Tuesday!

Am not saying I am going to be good every single WI night but I am definitely going to try x

I've never had treat nights or days, I've had days off plan for people's birthdays or Christmas ect. but I always really struggle for the rest of the week then because I try to go syn free.

What I've started doing is adding up the syns I would have (if I can) like my boyfriend really wanted to go to pizza hut this week, I didn't want to have a pasta dish, although I think I will next time as I really want to try the chilli twists. I decided in advance what pizza I was having and it worked out at 48 syns, I then worked out what syns I would have the rest of the week. I've ended up having an average of 11-12 syns, which I don't think is bad and hopefully I won't gain because of this

stivesliz said:
Completely agree Mizkirsty - as I said earlier on in this thread, some of my class get weighed on a Tuesday morning and then basically binge all day. I have a cereal bar and fruit at class whilst selling the raffle tickets, a normal lunch when I get home and then whatever I fancy for dinner - if its a takeaway then usually fish and chips or if I am having a meal with friends I try and schedule for WI night. I dont really want to spend all week catching up what I have put on on a Tuesday!

Am not saying I am going to be good every single WI night but I am definitely going to try x

Exactly and a complete day binging is going to have drastic affects on wi the following week - but that's also showing they still haven't developed a true lifestyle change or worked through issues with food!

Everyone's different and needs to find they're own way this is an individual journey but gorging on foods won't ultimately get you to target and staying there! X

donna88 said:
I've never had treat nights or days, I've had days off plan for people's birthdays or Christmas ect. but I always really struggle for the rest of the week then because I try to go syn free.

What I've started doing is adding up the syns I would have (if I can) like my boyfriend really wanted to go to pizza hut this week, I didn't want to have a pasta dish, although I think I will next time as I really want to try the chilli twists. I decided in advance what pizza I was having and it worked out at 48 syns, I then worked out what syns I would have the rest of the week. I've ended up having an average of 11-12 syns, which I don't think is bad and hopefully I won't gain because of this

That's what was suggested as a method earlier which If works for you is fantastic!

And your right shouldn't hinder your loss if your still at your 105 syn target :)

Well done xx

Back