Treat Night / Cheat Night

Think if your 'treat' can't be included in your weekly account (if doing this regular) then there is some serious self control
Lacking IMO! Seeing food as a reward is never a good thing!

Keldelacoe said:
Think if your 'treat' can't be included in your weekly account (if doing this regular) then there is some serious self control

I'm sure lack of self control is not the right idea - if you can limit it to one meal and then get 100% back on track - this shows great self control - letting it ruin your week doesn't. I don't include it in my syns bc restricting myself the rest of the week doesn't help and I struggle then. So I've found a way that works for me - and it is working I'm on my way to target.

Its not a reward it's allowing normal life to continue whilst creating a new lifestyle - in reality how many people who do not have a treat night will maintain that for the rest of their lives?!

I think it's each to their own but judging people accordingly is a bit narrow minded!

Everyone's journey is different - some people will fall off the wagon and show great courage to climb back on some manage the entire journey without any wobbles and some of us choose to have a treat once a week - whichever path we choose is individual and doesn't reflect our self control but merely our pathway!

Mizkirsty said:
I'm sure lack of self control is not the right idea - if you can limit it to one meal and then get 100% back on track - this shows great self control - letting it ruin your week doesn't. I don't include it in my syns bc restricting myself the rest of the week doesn't help and I struggle then. So I've found a way that works for me - and it is working I'm on my way to target.

Its not a reward it's allowing normal life to continue whilst creating a new lifestyle - in reality how many people who do not have a treat night will maintain that for the rest of their lives?!

I think it's each to their own but judging people accordingly is a bit narrow minded!

Everyone's journey is different - some people will fall off the wagon and show great courage to climb back on some manage the entire journey without any wobbles and some of us choose to have a treat once a week - whichever path we choose is individual and doesn't reflect our self control but merely our pathway!

I'm not narrow minded thank you v much ... If you feel your missing out on eating crap that's your choice... My choice is I would rather eat healthier!!! As you say each to their on eh ;) lol

Oh and I do think having self control does have a lot to do with it.... Else why would most of us be here? Ah ok, somebody forced you to over eat? Ahh I get it now! Sorry :/

Personally I don't feel like I ''need'' a treat night, I love slimming world meals. There are only the odd meals I like which really aren't slimming world friendly, like pizza, but I wouldn't want that EVERY week. I used to love frajita's and have started making the mix and having it with chips, when I first started doing this I would syn a wrap and have that but I've learnt that actually I don't think the wrap is that great, so I started just buying the wraps for my boyfriend, but last time we had them he even said he doesn't think he'll have them again as he much prefers having the spice mix on chips or rice rather then in a wrap.

The treats I really enjoy are chocolate and crisps and I think the 15 syns a day covers that, tonight after WI I will be having a wispa gold for 13 syns, it feels like a real indulgence but is still within my syn allowance.

I think there are so many meals you can do on slimming world which feel very naughty. My plates are always stacked high with yummy food. I enjoy everything we eat on slimming world and the high syn alternatives are very rarely better, in fact quite often not as nice.

Even if we want take away there are so many dishes which you can have and stay on plan, I suppose with take away I am a little naughty, I never weigh it to check if it is actually the syns that are in the book, but the few times I've had take away that has never effected my losses.

I suppose I'm quite lucky that I have this view, as personally if I felt like I needed a treat night or meal every week which I didn't count in my syns then I would feel deprived the rest of the week... surely if you feel you NEED this treat then you aren't really enjoying your day to day food? Personally I couldn't stick with it if that were the case for me.

But everyone is different, my only worry about people who feel they need a treat night to stay on track is, what if you start struggling to loose, will you not be able to stay on track if you have to get rid of the treat night?

I have said this on a number of occasssions on here before, and got shot down in flames in the same way as you have I'm afraid. The fact is, that unless you build that meal into your weekly syns, you aren't following the plan. Plain and simple. HTere is a reason why on a Slimming Plan you can't eat a Dominos pizza, or a KFC meal, or anything from McD's which isn't a salad. Its becuase even on a normal eating plan these things aren't good for you, and are far too high in calories- have you looked at the calories in a KFC meal? It should be illegal to sell them! No one will ever convince me that by having this once a week you are eating 'normally'. if that's normal eating behaviours - I'd rather be abnormal thanks.

You are right that using food as a reward is not a good thing, and being able to recognise this is so important in your long term ability to keep the weight off in my opinion. You are far from narrow minded for thinking this way.

What I would say, is that everyone is at different stages of their weight loss. Some people have not got to this point yet, some are there and don't want to recognise it quite yet.

I have said this on a number of occasssions on here before, and got shot down in flames in the same way as you have I'm afraid. The fact is, that unless you build that meal into your weekly syns, you aren't following the plan. Plain and simple. HTere is a reason why on a Slimming Plan you can't eat a Dominos pizza, or a KFC meal, or anything from McD's which isn't a salad. Its becuase even on a normal eating plan these things aren't good for you, and are far too high in calories- have you looked at the calories in a KFC meal? It should be illegal to sell them! No one will ever convince me that by having this once a week you are eating 'normally'. if that's normal eating behaviours - I'd rather be abnormal thanks.

You are right that using food as a reward is not a good thing, and being able to recognise this is so important in your long term ability to keep the weight off in my opinion. You are far from narrow minded for thinking this way.

What I would say, is that everyone is at different stages of their weight loss. Some people have not got to this point yet, some are there and don't want to recognise it quite yet.

You are always the voice of reason Kingleds lol x

When I started this thread originally it was a tongue in cheek way of describing what goes on after WI. Personally, for me, it has worked, but as I have said all along, the nearer I got to target, it would be the first thing to go.
I have had a takeaway nearly every WI night for 16 months and have still lost , although my weight yo yoing for the last 6 months has made me realise that I needed to change something!

In defence of myself, I am ultra good throughout the week and dont use all my syns, therefore in the grand scheme of things, I probably havent done as much damage as I could have done, ie, having 15 syns a day and then 60 on one night!

My issue really at the moment is with friends that go to my group that weigh, dont stay and then go home and eat all day long and then spend the rest of the week catching up and are upset when they have only lost half a pound the following week. At my heaviest, I used to eat a bar of chocolate every night, drink a bottle of wine every night and I knew I would never lose weight by continuing to eat in this way.

On the plus side, now that my food tastes and diet has changed, I simply couldn't eat crap all day long without feeling crap which would defeat the whole point of my lifestyle change.,

I didnt cheat last WI night, and although I had lunch out on Sunday, I doubt I went over my sysn that much as apart from a small choc pud and a yorkshire pud I was pretty much legal. x

After my weigh in 2 weeks ago I 'treated' myself to my first chinese in 6 weeks...at 25 syns. Obviously I then catered for this in my syns for the rest of the week but I have to say the guilt and fear of not losing that week nearly killed me. I was obsessed with the fact that I'd had a chinese and really didn't enjoy it as much as I would have previously.

In saying that, I'd be a liar if I said I'd never eat a chinese/McDonalds/KFC again...I will but I'm now getting in to the way of countering these over indulgences by cutting down and being healthier elsewhere. I really hope however that I don't ever fall back in to the habit of having at least one of these meals every week. However, I personally think a treat every once in a while is fine. Once a month, I personally don't see a major problem with having a treat and not thinking about the syns, and by treat I mean one meal....not having a binge day.

Keldelacoe said:
I'm not narrow minded thank you v much ... If you feel your missing out on eating crap that's your choice... My choice is I would rather eat healthier!!! As you say each to their on eh ;) lol

Well clearly you are very narrow minded bc you assumed my treat had to be crap food - eating out at a restaurant does not necessarily mean crap food. Salmon in a sauce = a treat but actually quite healthy - or some french baguette - looks like your the one who cannot trust themselves to have a lil of something and not go stupid!

So how exactly do you propose your going to maintain this for life?!

And no your right no forced me to eat and get fat but I'm realistic in the fact I cannot exclude certain foods for life - I now have a healthy relationship with all foods not just safe foods! So a slice of pizza can be a treat but you don't have to eat the whole thing!

I think the biggest issue surrounding treat night is that people have bad relationships with food having a treat does not have to mean a pizza or KFC it can mean other things such as salmon but rather than plain with a sauce. Or white bread instead of whole meal etc

I think the biggest issue surrounding treat night is that people have bad relationships with food having a treat does not have to mean a pizza or KFC it can mean other things such as salmon but rather than plain with a sauce. Or white bread instead of whole meal etc

But unless you are having 4 slices of white bread and a boat load of sauce on your salmon you would quite easily be within your daily syns - that would be following the plan, and using your syns appropriately!

And if Keldelacoe feels she needs to keep well away from stuff rather than try to eat it in moderation to get to target & stay there , she should be applauded for doing so, not chastised. Its a big sacrifice that I personally don't know if I could make.

Finally, most people don't leave their SW group and think 'ooo, I think I'll treat myself to a bit of Salmon in a nice sauce tonight'. They think 'wicked, off to the chinese for me (where i will eat my own body wiegh in MSG laden food, and maybe some deep fried chicken balls (yum)' :) If we had a relationship with food that meant we considered salmon and a bit of sauce, and some white bread a treat i doubt many of us would be here in the first place.

I know we (and I include myself in this) would love to think we can do this whole dieting lark and still eat some of the stuff we used, but eventually we all have to accept (even StIvesliz :) ) that we need to be more careful with our syns if we want to hit target & more importantly STAY there. What an awful waste of money doing SW would be if we all ended up getting to target then put it all back on again cos we didn't get our heads round that.

just saying :hide:

I'm really motivated after my class so I usually find the last thing that I want to do is cheat because i'm full of good ideas and inspiration! It's usually mid-week that I fall of the wagon and think i deserve a 'treat' so i've got to be really careful and talk myself out of it!

I have treat night. I get weighed at 7pm on a Tuesday. I then have what I like for tea. I don't binge. I just have things I wouldn't allow myself on a Monday night.

I understand it doesn't work for everyone and I understand I'd probably lose more if I didn't do it. But losing a steady 1-2lb a week is good enough for me.

And I find it to be quite the opposite of people who say it can spiral out of control.

If I want a McDonalds/chippy/kfc in the week, I tell myself I can have one on a Tuesday night.

Yes, I could build the meal into my weekly syns, but then I'd feel deprived on all the other days where I'd need to cut my Freddo out, and THAT'S when I feel I'd end up throwing the towel in and eating over the odds.

I find that treat Tuesday helps me get though the week. And I don't have that fear of "oh my god I can never have a KFC AND two freddos in one week!"

As I said I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I'm happy with my losses and my actions.

It's down to personal choice and I don't think people should get shot down, be called greedy etc! It's their choice, they know how the plan is working for them.

And the way I see it, one meal a week where I don't worry about fry light, extra lean, light versions, is better than the other 20 meals I used to eat crap on!

kingleds said:
But unless you are having 4 slices of white bread and a boat load of sauce on your salmon you would quite easily be within your daily syns - that would be following the plan, and using your syns appropriately!

And if Keldelacoe feels she needs to keep well away from stuff rather than try to eat it in moderation to get to target & stay there , she should be applauded for doing so, not chastised. Its a big sacrifice that I personally don't know if I could make.

Finally, most people don't leave their SW group and think 'ooo, I think I'll treat myself to a bit of Salmon in a nice sauce tonight'. They think 'wicked, off to the chinese for me (where i will eat my own body wiegh in MSG laden food, and maybe some deep fried chicken balls (yum)' :) If we had a relationship with food that meant we considered salmon and a bit of sauce, and some white bread a treat i doubt many of us would be here in the first place.

I know we (and I include myself in this) would love to think we can do this whole dieting lark and still eat some of the stuff we used, but eventually we all have to accept (even StIvesliz :) ) that we need to be more careful with our syns if we want to hit target & more importantly STAY there. What an awful waste of money doing SW would be if we all ended up getting to target then put it all back on again cos we didn't get our heads round that.

just saying :hide:

But that is my treat and it's a treat bc it's a night off and I don't need to count the syns - it's me being normal - eating out without counting anything - but being sensible - this is what I intend to do even after target!

It may well be a treat within my syns but I don't monitor it on the night it's my night off!

And as I've posted previously each to their own you have to find what works for you. And whatever that way is is individual. If Keldelacoe is going to tell me I have no self control I will question they're ability to live in the normal world post journey to target.

Keldelacoe was quick enough to assume I meant I gorged myself on piZza - that's not my issue with food that's they're inability to acknowledge a treat doesn't have to be swimming in fat!

And your right most people don't see that as a treat - but I've changed my relationship with food which I mentioned earlier - so I no longer have to completely cut things out - a slice of white bread is like heaven to me now - or a wrap for fajitas!!
I would never have considered that a treat before but that's how I've managed to change my ideas

But that also means I wouldn't not have a KFC of I wanted one !

But even so I will have an icelolly now and again - that's a treat too! So naughty thing are limited to after a wi but isn't a binge! Xx

Littleali21 said:
I have treat night. I get weighed at 7pm on a Tuesday. I then have what I like for tea. I don't binge. I just have things I wouldn't allow myself on a Monday night.

I understand it doesn't work for everyone and I understand I'd probably lose more if I didn't do it. But losing a steady 1-2lb a week is good enough for me.

And I find it to be quite the opposite of people who say it can spiral out of control.

If I want a McDonalds/chippy/kfc in the week, I tell myself I can have one on a Tuesday night.

Yes, I could build the meal into my weekly syns, but then I'd feel deprived on all the other days where I'd need to cut my Freddo out, and THAT'S when I feel I'd end up throwing the towel in and eating over the odds.

I find that treat Tuesday helps me get though the week. And I don't have that fear of "oh my god I can never have a KFC AND two freddos in one week!"

As I said I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I'm happy with my losses and my actions.

It's down to personal choice and I don't think people should get shot down, be called greedy etc! It's their choice, they know how the plan is working for them.

And the way I see it, one meal a week where I don't worry about fry light, extra lean, light versions, is better than the other 20 meals I used to eat crap on!

Well said!!
Xx

I like my treat for the week and don't feel the need to give it up yet. I like having a chinese which there are loads of low syn options, or a chicken kebab which is only 8 syns for a large one so I do have a little treat like this on a saturday night.

Mizkirsty said:
But that is my treat and it's a treat bc it's a night off and I don't need to count the syns - it's me being normal - eating out without counting anything - but being sensible - this is what I intend to do even after target!

It may well be a treat within my syns but I don't monitor it on the night it's my night off!

And as I've posted previously each to their own you have to find what works for you. And whatever that way is is individual. If Keldelacoe is going to tell me I have no self control I will question they're ability to live in the normal world post journey to target.

Keldelacoe was quick enough to assume I meant I gorged myself on piZza - that's not my issue with food that's they're inability to acknowledge a treat doesn't have to be swimming in fat!

And your right most people don't see that as a treat - but I've changed my relationship with food which I mentioned earlier - so I no longer have to completely cut things out - a slice of white bread is like heaven to me now - or a wrap for fajitas!!
I would never have considered that a treat before but that's how I've managed to change my ideas

But that also means I wouldn't not have a KFC of I wanted one !

But even so I will have an icelolly now and again - that's a treat too! So naughty thing are limited to after a wi but isn't a binge! Xx

I really think you misunderstood what she said. She didn't direct it at you at all - the only reason I can think of that you reacted this way to what she said is that you either realised it was true for you, and don't like that fact, or you just wanted start an argument. She had an opinion, she voiced it. No need for all the shouting!

Anyway, as Stivesliz says, this was supposed to be lighthearted thread. Am not going to hijack it anymore. Enjoy your treat nights everyone!

I have whatever i want really. Lastnight i had a pizza and chip. The kiddy meal deal one, so its a 7inch pizza. Yum!

i always used to have a cheat night after weigh in and lost weight and now i dont, but mainly because now when i eat what i used to i get so nauseous and get headaches that instantly regret it! anyone else had this when they have eaten fatty foods? now i maybe just have a chocolate bar within syns then a full Chinese! i know people that cheat every week and lose; but think ifs a personal choice on how long you want to take to get to target

Back