Treat Night / Cheat Night

ladybird777 said:
My weight loss has slowed enough without a cheat night. I'm 100% ( and have been since I started SW) but only lose 1lb a week. If I cheated I think I would stay the same. it isn't worth it to me, not when with a bit of creativity I can have the food I like cooked in a different way ie there is a fabby cake recipe on here which is 12 syns the whole cake.

With me it does work but you're right, I could lose more without a cheat night bearing in mind I'm 100% the rest of the week and pretty strict with myself, I do exercise everyday but I'm only 20 and I don't want to sacrifice everything for sw I still want to eat what my age eats now and then but I don't do it to excess and I'm straight back to healthy eating and exercise after, I have sw burgers and stuff like that all the time and it does amaze me how you can have tasty things that are healthy and free or low syn but to me it's also a bit depressing sometimes because I just think its bit fair how I have to eat so healthy and exercise and other people can eat what they want and not gain

Have just asked your age on another thread Glitter as thought you were a bit younger than 20.
I agree with you that sometimes it does seem unfair that people can eat what they like and some of us can't. There have been therads on here that discuss the fact that what some people seem to eat isn't necessarily the true picture though and that though they have say a pizza and garlic bread etc they eat less a lot of the time whereas some people like me could eat the pizza and garlic bread for tea and then still have fish n chips for supper with snacks in between to keep me going.

Also there are different theories such as that once we have gained weight even when we have lost the weight due to fat cells that don't go even when the fat does and they are all too eager to fill back up I think!

If you really think the cheat night works for you then of course it is up to you but in the long run it could affect your weight loss and isn't a particularly healthy way to look at eating in my opinion.

I could get away with cheating at the start of my weight loss. Now I can't even sniff the wrong foods haha! Each to their own and I suppose most people will have to cut down their 'cheats' the closer they get to target so it will be a gradual learning process but for me it would appear I'm just better of without.

Well I never do cheat nights but this week is the perfect example for me as to whether I can get away with it. On Friday I had pizza and garlic bread with chips and cake, the rest of the week I've had no syns, apart from today when I've had two and on Tuesday when I was out for lunch. I weigh on Tuesday so we'll see but to be honest I think I'll be lucky to maintain.

Even if I do still loose this week I couldn't do it every week, I don't feel deprived going syn free some days but I think I would if I did it every week, I like having a little bit of chocolate every day rather then a big binge one day and nothing the rest of the week. I don't think having a big blow out every week is a good way of looking at food either.

As for it being unfair that some people can eat whatever and not exercise and stay slim I agree that usually it isn't the case and there's normally something hiding in there, either something unhealthy like an eating disorder or the fact that they don't eat as much the rest of the time. But to be honest I'm so much happier eating healthy and exercising, I feel so much healthier in myself and to be honest I think its quite dangerous to be able to eat rubbish and stay slim as you trick yourself into thinking your okay when actually all the bad food is still very bad for you, it just doesn't show on the outside.

glitter99x said:
With me it does work but you're right, I could lose more without a cheat night bearing in mind I'm 100% the rest of the week and pretty strict with myself, I do exercise everyday but I'm only 20 and I don't want to sacrifice everything for sw I still want to eat what my age eats now and then but I don't do it to excess and I'm straight back to healthy eating and exercise after, I have sw burgers and stuff like that all the time and it does amaze me how you can have tasty things that are healthy and free or low syn but to me it's also a bit depressing sometimes because I just think its bit fair how I have to eat so healthy and exercise and other people can eat what they want and not gain

Well you say here it works for you yet on other threads I've seen you say you are struggling and been stuck at the same weight for a while- maybe this is the time to look at your cheat night in a different light? Would bet that this is why you are stuck!

I think some people CAN eat what they want they just don't eat as much as I want which is totally different. Also I do think that naturally slim people automatically compensate for eating a big meal by eating less later. Their hunger and satiety signals have not been messed up in the way mine have. I have been trying to train myself to listen to my body but struggle with waste, leaving things on my plate or just being plain bored with a meal. My husband and two children are all naturally slim (thankfully kids got his genes) and watching them eat is very different to my eating. I was made to finish what was on my plate and if not it was represented at the next meal. Can't blame my mum too much as she came from quite a poor background where food was not viewed in the way it is now. I think my food signals were overridden at a very early age and they haven't recovered. I never make the children clean their plates if they are full but they would not be allowed to snack endlessly if they haven't finished a meal (though my daughter would just graze all day if given the chance).

Sorry has turned into a bit of an essay when all I meant to say was I would like to eat like a slim person cos they can eat what they want but if they ate what I want they would end up I overweight too!

I have resurrected this thread from aaaaaaaaages ago as there seems to be loads of new members on here and I wondered what their views were on this????

I am still treating ( or cheating ) on WI night but am keeping my syns under control through the week to accommodate it x

I often have a 'treat' on WI night - maybe an extra chocolate or a slice of cake.

I try to syn my treats now though and not go too overboard.

I used to stuff after WI but would spend the rest of the week either continuing with the 'treats' or would have to restrict syns to almost nothing to try to pull it back.

Ideally, I'd like to get to the point where I stay within my syns on WI day. Harder than it sounds though lol x

theres somewhere on here that has on their signature, ''dont reward yourself with food, you are not a dog''

i think this is very true.

there is nothing wrong with having the odd bag of crisps, or little cake, or even a portion of chips, as long as its kept within the syn value of the programme.

by rewarding good losses with food you (the collective you) are only reinforcing your original bad eating habits that put us in this overweight situation in the first place.

food is a necessity to live. not a way of making us feel better about situations, and once we start embracing the practicalities of food as a sustenance instead of emotional support then the problem of obesity with start to decline.

ive used food as support all my life, its only this last year that ive been able to start to separate myself form the emotional aspects of it.

you dont need treat nights, save your pennies and buy some nice shoes instead xxx

I've just recently started treating weigh-in day as just another day and am starting to reap the rewards - I still have really nice things that I've fancied all week after weigh-in, but I try to stay within my 15 syns for the day still, although if I go one or two over (and have enough saved from the week just gone to compensate) I'm fine with that. I think the key is carrying on counting the syns rather than making it a free for all! At our class we did a bit of totting up of "treat night" syns when we hadn't been counting and quite a few people had over their entire week's syns on one night!! :eek:

theres somewhere on here that has on their signature, ''dont reward yourself with food, you are not a dog''

there is nothing wrong with having the odd bag of crisps, or little cake, or even a portion of chips, as long as its kept within the syn value of the programme.

by rewarding good losses with food you (the collective you) are only reinforcing your original bad eating habits that put us in this overweight situation in the first place.

food is a necessity to live. not a way of making us feel better about situations, and once we start embracing the practicalities of food as a sustenance instead of emotional support then the problem of obesity with start to decline.

ive used food as support all my life, its only this last year that ive been able to start to separate myself form the emotional aspects of it.

you dont need treat nights, save your pennies and buy some nice shoes instead xxx

What an inspirational post. Makes you think of food in a different way - like the fuel needed to get the car going. You only need enough to keep us going so to speak x

I am not going to lie, I did enjoy a treat night for the first 4 stone! But that treat night turned into a treat day, then a full on binge/blow out day and that isn't healthy for anyone so I cut it out. I save 5syns from Thursday and Friday and have 25 syns on a Saturday and that's my new treat night. I like doing this and it gives me treat night with control. I don't cheat on weigh in day either, I'm too busy as have exercise classes after group.

I used to not eat before WI and then have a blow out after WI. However I dont do this now. It didnt affect my losses and I always had good losses so to speak however I often felt guilty and didnt want to have such an emotional relationship with food.

I do sometimes have a day off plan if for example I have an occasion I would probably not stick to SW. If I am doing that though I dont eat before or after the "off plan" meal. This as yet as not affected my losses maybe its because Im still youngish (24) or maybe its because I still have a lot to lose. I dont do that every week and then sometimes have to eat a bit lighter so to speak.

It may come to a point were it does start affecting my losses and then when it does I will have to re look at it. Our bodies are all different so what works for one wont work for another. I think from a psychological point of view binge eating or just eating loads for the sake of it is not very helpful in the long term.

Ohhh I have waffled on a bit now.... :sign0163:

I have resurrected this thread from aaaaaaaaages ago as there seems to be loads of new members on here and I wondered what their views were on this????

I am still treating ( or cheating ) on WI night but am keeping my syns under control through the week to accommodate it x

Lol!!! You bad girl ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have to agree with this Hun and its me who has this quote on my signature :) xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Sensible post that Saska. Just noticed you joined the day my darling little granddaughter was born. :)

Really?? My daughter wasnt even 1 when I joined shes 5 now and still trying to lose weight LOL! Feel more determined this time though!!

:character00115:

Saska, if your head is in the right place, and with help and support on here you will succeed, no two ways about it! :)

Back