• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Tried & tested cake recipes (non SW)

big bear

A bear on a mission!
S: 14st7lb
Hi

My little one has her birthday in 2 weeks (she's going to be 1) & I'm having a wee tea party for her. My son (whose nearly 3) & I are going to bake her cake & some cupcakes for her little party.

I want like a plain/madeira (or maybe chocolate :8855:) sort of cake with icing on it, so need a recipe for both the cake & icing.

I'd like tried & tested easy recipes please. I just want easy peasy recipes please as not great at baking.

Thanks in advance.

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

Shirleen

Gold Member
S: 21st12.5lb C: 21st4lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 45.3 Loss: 0st8.5lb(2.77%)
I have a recipe for a chocolate cake with fudge icing, probably the easiest an moistest chocolate cake ever and it bakes huge, probably not fab for the little one but I think if you covered it in white chocolate with pink edible glitter it will be amazing

Shirleen

Gold Member
Just remembered I wrote the recipe out for a friend on another forum so I'll paste it here.

Chocolate Fudge Cake

200g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa powder
150g soft brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 eggs
150ml milk
150ml cooking oil

Sift the flour, soda, baking powder and cocoa into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well int the centre,Add the syrup, eggs, oil and milk and beat thoroughly until smooth.
Pour into a lined andgreased 23cm cake tin and bake in a preheated moderate oven 160 deg Celsius. 325 deg F, Gas mark 3 for 45-50 minutes.

Leave in the tin for about 10 minute then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

To fill and cover...

Chocolate Fudge Icing
50g butter or margarine
3 tbsp Milk
250g icing sugar sifted
2 tbsp cocoa powder sifted

Place the butter in a saucepan and heat gently until melted. Add the icing sugar and cocoa and beat until smooth and glossy. Cool slightly and pour over the cake spreading with a pallette knife.

This quantity will cover a 9 inch cake (so to fill it as well, make another half quantity)

Personally for your little girl I would fill it with a deep pink buttercream with maybe some raspberries and cover in a white chocolate icing. However I've not made one so wouldn't like to recommend.

S: 18st7lb C: 12st11.5lb G: 10st7lb BMI: 31.8 Loss: 5st9.5lb(30.69%)
oh thanks shirleen-my friend has requested a choc fudge cake for her birthday on friday, saves me using some random plucked of the tinterweb recipe

big bear

A bear on a mission!
S: 14st7lb
Just remembered I wrote the recipe out for a friend on another forum so I'll paste it here.

Chocolate Fudge Cake

200g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa powder
150g soft brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 eggs
150ml milk
150ml cooking oil

Sift the flour, soda, baking powder and cocoa into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well int the centre,Add the syrup, eggs, oil and milk and beat thoroughly until smooth.
Pour into a lined andgreased 23cm cake tin and bake in a preheated moderate oven 160 deg Celsius. 325 deg F, Gas mark 3 for 45-50 minutes.

Leave in the tin for about 10 minute then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

To fill and cover...

Chocolate Fudge Icing
50g butter or margarine
3 tbsp Milk
250g icing sugar sifted
2 tbsp cocoa powder sifted

Place the butter in a saucepan and heat gently until melted. Add the icing sugar and cocoa and beat until smooth and glossy. Cool slightly and pour over the cake spreading with a pallette knife.

This quantity will cover a 9 inch cake (so to fill it as well, make another half quantity)

Personally for your little girl I would fill it with a deep pink buttercream with maybe some raspberries and cover in a white chocolate icing. However I've not made one so wouldn't like to recommend.

Shirleen

Gold Member
Good oh! My 14 year old boy has been making this since he was 12 1/2 so it's easy!!
Let me know how you get on xxx