Turkey Breast Mince

I have always bought my turkey breast mince from Waitrose because it is very good quality.

I was surprised to see in the latest magazine that Sainsburys is the only brand which is free - even more surprised when I found that Sainsburys (according to their website) Extra Lean Turkey Breast Mince is 1.6g of fat per 100g, and Waitrose is 0.8g.

What about plugging it in to the syn calculator and double checking?

It's not a question of calculating the syns, it's the fact that it says quite categorically in the latest magazine that Sainsburys is the only brand which is free.

SW are obviously mistaken then. If the Waitrose mince contains only turkey breast meat and is 0.8g fat per 100g then it's free.

Last edited:
I saw some turkey breast mince in Asda at the weekend that was 3% fat and would therefore also be syn free.

If you send it through the calculator though it comes out at :

½ Syn per package/portion on Extra Easy

That's from the nutrition data of 152kcal, 2.5g fat, 0g carbohydrate, 32g protein.

What do you do with it. I've no idea what meal ideas but it it always looks a good idea. I just dont know what to do with it.

Ideas anyone?

Lucia Lucia said:
What do you do with it. I've no idea what meal ideas but it it always looks a good idea. I just dont know what to do with it.

Ideas anyone?

Turkey burgers, Turkey & Herb meatballs, Turkey kebabs, turkey shepherds pie and lasagne is scrummy too

i see. that's not too bad given that asda's turkey mince comes in a 340g pack (was looking at it yesterday) so that' still only 1.5-2 for the whole pack. negligable really once you've made a bolognese or something and divided it up.

might try it once i get bored of beef mince

I bought the turkey breast mince from Asda to make my favourite Shami kebabs from the SW curry heaven book, and for the minimal syns, won't be counting them!

Amy chance you could mail me the recipe?

Turkey Shami Kebabs

794g/1lb 12 oz lean minced turkey
1 small red onion, peeled and finely grated
1 tsp peeled and finely grated ginger
1tbsp medium curry powder
1tsp finely grated lime zest
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely choppped
3 tbsp chopped coriander
2 tbsp chopped mint
2 tbsp fat free natural yoghurt
salt and freshly ground black pepper
low calorie cooking spray
red onion rings and lime wedges, to serve

1. Place the turkey in a mixing bowl with the onion, ginger, curry powder, lime zest, red chilli, chopped coriander and mint, and the yoghurt. Season well and using your hands, mix until well combined. cover and chill in the fridge for 6-8 hurs (or overnight if time permits) to allow the flavours to develop.

2. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.Divide the turkey mixture into 12 portions and shape each portion into a flat, oval kebab shape. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through.

3. Remove from the oven and serve with red onion rings and lime wedges to squeeze over.

Back