TV programme last night

Ailsa, I dont really know what to say, you dont need to shut up!!!!
fab post hun, and made me think lots x

Wow! AKB - I just read your high horse postings!;):) Agree with every word & very, VERY eloquent hon! I think more counselling & nutrition advice but an increase in the size of seating etc. might only prolong the problem; quite a lot of people have an embarrassing situation (flights, seats, rides etc.) that prompted them to lose weight. If everything were made bigger would that still be the case? I'd like to think so, but I suspect not!

On clothes front of this debate I have to say that I do think that there should be more shops to cater for plus size clothing! A lot of us here are gonna be losing weight for a long time - why should we pay high prices and be deprived of smart or fashionable clothing until we get to the 16-18 size range?!!!

And the truth is, even if there were shops that offered more fashionable or sexy plus size clothing - the fact is that when you looked in the mirror - you will still be overweight. Your sexy halter top would certainly look better if you were in a healthy weight range. I can't see a wider choice in clothing stopping people from losing weight...

I love clothes and I have spent a fortune on them trying to make myself feel better... But I know now that the only way for me to feel better is to lose weight and be healthy. And of course if I get to my target I get to buy a new wardrobe :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D (I am soo shallow!!!).

And I wholeheartedly agree with all the comments here about obese people needing support! We most certainly do need guidance and support - I have been overweight my whole life and its only at age 27 that I have found a positive way to change my weight. It is all thanks to a horrible doctor who pissed me off - I can't wait to see him next time and tell him to go and f**k himself!!!!

Sorry about that - pent up rage - maybe in a few months I'll be glad my doctor was horrible to me - it was kind of the final straw. Something has changed in me, probably for the better.:)

I definitely agree about the clothes .... a range of well designed, well fitting, fashionable clothes would go a long way to helping overweight people feel a bit better about themselves.
Unfortunately, even the shops that DO stock bigger clothes tend to have a range of gear which are just scaled up versions of size 10 High Street fashions (low rise jeans and short tops in a size 30?? THAT'S going to look nice - NOT!). What would be great is larger clothes that suit the different problem areas ... e.g those that carry the weight on the tummy need different styles to those who carry it on their bums & hips. It seems as far as clothes designers go, big is big - end of.

When it comes to positive, practical help from the very people who SHOULD be helping - doctors, the general consensus seems to be that most of us got woefully inadequate help and some have even experienced downright negativity. Something HAS to change! :mad:

Fat Factors!

Fat Factors by Robin Marantz Henig New York Times!
Fat Factors
By ROBIN MARANTZ HENIG
Published: August 13, 2006

Fat Factors - New York Times

I have been very much interested in this debate whether obesity might be caused by something else?

It's an interesting debate Mini but I for one am hoping I became obese purely through overeating the wrong things .... because if it's something else, something that is out of my control then chances are I'm headed straight back to Fatland once I start eating again and that thought is too horrible to contemplate! :(

Hi all

Sorry i've been away a while time seems to fly along and before you know it three weeks have passed! I didn't get to see that programe, but I agree that it would not be good to up size everything. I know that I withdrew from life simply because I didn't want to put myself in what i thought would be humiliating situations. This has led to a sheltered life of home and work and I'm only now getting out into the world and doing things like theme parks I should've been doing in my teens.

There does need to be a rethink of clothes, especially for younger people and at more reasonable prices. in this materialistic world fat people, or those worried about weight, are seen as a capitve market willing or having to pay top price for clothes, diet food etc they can't get elsewhere. Don't we all know the same problem of buying all the range of colours a top comes in becasue it fitted well for a change:mad:

I have noticed that when I was 21 stone I thought if only i was a size 16/14/12 or whatever I would find that perfect outfit when ever i needed it, but either i'm too choosy (or too tight with money more likely:rolleyes:) I still can't find it that easily even though i've so many more shops to choose from! I just hope I don't replace my food addiction with shopping:eek:

I do think more needs to be done to sort out the emotional problems behind weight issues rather than concentrating on diet and exercise as the Government seems to be doing, because unless those problems are sorted out there is no chance of increaseing the % of people who loose weight and keep it off. I'm with you Ann now I'm getting there i hope to keep it off too.

I read in the paper yesterday that they are doing reserch in Austraila into why the body is so reluctant to release fat once it has been stored. They think that whilst the body has been conditiond to store fat incase of famine it has not yet learnt to cope with our modern abundant lifestyle and so resists any attempts to loose the fat through ordinary diets and exercise by creating plateaus. I suppose what VLCD's do is create the famine the body has stored the fat for. This seems to me to be a much better way of dealing with the fat then all these invasive operations such as stapling and bands.

Mary

Back