Type 2 anyone?

Thanks Lynn, I was worried but no, no meds yet.

I'm lucky, my friends know that I am trying really hard to lose weight to help my joints so I don't think they would sabotage me.
I still feel very determined to get my weight down asap, so am avoiding temptation as much as I can. I just keep focusing on how much better I am going to feel as the weight drops. My swimming is going well, 30 lengths this afternoon, so I know the exercise must be starting to make a difference too.

Thanks for your help Lynn.

Hello Barb, how are ya? I was treated for an overactive bladder for about 2 years before going to another gp with a "pee diary" and his first instinct was diabetes. my FBG was 9 something and I was finally diagnosed. I take 2,500mg of metformin and 1.2mg victoza (liraglutide). unfortunately being diagnosed wasn't the wake up call it should have been and I have continued to abuse my body, so fair play to you for getting things sorted asap!:cool:

I know LC is the way to go but I can't stick with any meal plan at all. I'd love a wee group on here, we could call ourselves diabetes defeaters or something lol. somewhere we could check in daily and support each other.

re the test meters, it may be a cost issue as the meters are around £20 and each wee box of strips is about £15.

How are you getting on with Victoza Lynnella? do you get any nausea with it? How long have you been on it? and did you try Byetta first? I understood that NHS were resisting Victoza in favour of Byetta.

Definately agree with the idea of a diabetes group, especially for newly diagnosed as its all very confusing in the beginning.

Hi all... I was diagnosed type 2 on New Years eve 2009 with FBG of 17.9, started doing Atkins on 11th Jan 2010 have lost nearly 10 stone in weight, my FBG is now 4.4 & I have come off all medication!

Low carbing is definately the way to go but its not an easy path to follow as everywhere we are told low fat which = high sugar! Once you get a month or 2 under yr belt low carbing it does get much easier, there is a HUGE amount of alternatives & its all about thinking outside of the 'box' we've been told is correct!!

Of course one thing doesn't suit all Atkins has been my life saver & for others it will be something else... once my blood sugars were under control it made it much easier for me to focus.

I agree with starting up a group... be fab for all of us!

Have a great sunday. xx

A group of our own - what a great idea, I wonder how we go about it. Perhaps I should message Pierce or Mini and see what they say.

Ditzee you are an inspiration. Thank you so much.

I have sent a message to Pierce asking for a specific diabetes forum as I think this is a major issue for overweight people. Anyone carrying excess weight is at risk of diabetes and many long term overweight are already Type 2 or Type X, and of course Type 1 have a lot of specific issues of their own. If anyone else wants to message him that that will help to press our cause!

Diabetes is a dangerous disease which can ultimataly be fatal if not controlled. Getting to grips with it, following the correct diet and taking medications if required is essential to our long term health.

We have specific issues which can make it difficult to lose weight. Some medications will cause you to gain weight (pioglitizone........grrrrrr) and others just make it very difficult to lose. Getting to the grips with the underlying cause, ie what we eat, is key to controlling diabetes and of course our weight.

As Ditzeeblonde correctly states, generally low fat = high sugar/starch, so relying on low calorie ready meals does not do us any favours, as they tend to be high in starch of one form or another. There isnt a low calorie ready meal out there on the supermarket shelves which doesnt contain either potato, rice, flour or the evil pasta (my particular nemsis, and my most favourite of all time food). Low calorie cakes and biscuits replace fat with sugar, so those are no good to us either.

A Diabetic forum would be a great support to anyone struggling with diabetes and help to understand how to tackle it so fingers crossed we will get a dedicated forum here.

I really think a diabetic forum would be useful and supportive. There are so many complications with diabetes that just having someone to discuss them can be a great relief at times. So many of the complications are often weight related and/or carb related.
I hope Pierce will read this thread and see that we need somewhere to share and support each other.:)

I have messaged Pierce and Mini in the hopes that they will think a diabetes forum would be a good idea, so hopefully we will soon be up and running!

bonkers???? No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Barb no you most definately are not! you are doing all the right things to normalise your bg so however well meaning your sister may be I'm sure you are well in control of the situation and I would say, that only if you are on meds and run the risk of hypo s your friends don't need to know if you don't want them to,
I know its hard enough at times to get your head around it yourself so keep at it you are doing very well and I'm sure you will get those values down in no time!
Mary x

How are you getting on with Victoza Lynnella? do you get any nausea with it? How long have you been on it? and did you try Byetta first? I understood that NHS were resisting Victoza in favour of Byetta.

hey Lynn :wavey: Well with Victoza I suppose with the way I am eating (poorly) it keeps my BG not as high as it could be so if i was LC'ing it would be an excellent asset but with possibility of low BG in combo with metformin and LC. I got a bit of nausea the first couple weeks but then it went.

Gutted about pasta! I love the stuff :(

I too was told no to monitoring. I was told it wasn't necessary for now! Think I might get my own as I really want to tackle this and not just leave it to chance!

Just google accu-chek and they will send you out a complete monitoring kit free with a few strips to get you started. If the doc won't give you the strips for it then they can be got on ebay as long as you check the references of the seller. They are relatively cheap on there.:)

Just google accu-chek and they will send you out a complete monitoring kit free with a few strips to get you started. If the doc won't give you the strips for it then they can be got on ebay as long as you check the references of the seller. They are relatively cheap on there.:)

I looked at that website but I couldn't see anywhere that it says free monitors?

The monitors are pretty cheap from Boots, no more than £15, I think I paid £10 for mine. Its the teting strips that can be expensive, but Ebay is a good source if your doc wont prescribe them. Mine does fortunately and as Im on medication for diabetes I get free prescriptions too. Just ask for a form from the receptionist at your surgery.

Hi Lynn,

Reading your experiences and advice on diabetes was really interesting. Glad you seem to have got on top of it and well done on your amazing weightloss :)

I have my dreaded doctors appointment day after tommorow (fri) to talk about whether she thinks I should be tested. I mentioned in a previous thread that she wanted to check me 18 months ago but I stupidly chickened out and have had my head buried in the sand about it.

Its now reached a point where I cant keep feeling so rubbish all the time. It worries me that the medication can cause weightgain as this isnt going to help matters as Im trying hard to get the weight off which is why I dont take the anti depressants Ive been prescribed as they are likely to make me gain weight.

The thing is I think that the pcos messes with my sugar levels etc anyway and Im trying to control that by now being back on the slimming world plan.

Thanks for mentioning about the pasta, I have it about once a week the wholewheat one. Can I ask why its not good to eat? I know I feel bloated after but thought that was because it was quite stodgy.

Thanks again x

My experience with pasta may different to someone elses, but I know that eating pasta will put my blood sugars up more than if I had eaten a piece of cake. I dont know why pasta has such a bad effect on me, but I do know its the worst thing I can eat and the one thing I get real cravings for. I have tried low carb pasta, and that didnt seem too bad BG wise, but I eat very little of it.

Back