Type 2 anyone?

trying again

Hi Karen
I've just read your post re not going to the GP and not taking your meds for depression, I have described my experience with Type 2 in a previous post I too suffer from depression or should I say live with it as you do and like you didn't want to take anything for it .I was also told it can yet again be another lovely side affect of Type 2 (NOT!) As I didn't have any reason to be down good family, loving hubby etc... You can only take one step at a time and if it means taking something to help, be it for Diabetes or depression or whatever, the point is, it is to make you feel better and then it is easier to deal with each thing as it comes along, I gave years thinking thats it's only myself and I should buck up etc... but once I started to get control of my diabetes you do start to feel better, no chronic tiredness that never seemed to go away, your interest in life returns basically, I am still very overweight but I am working on it and I now believe I can succeed so my dear believe in yourself and don't be afraid take that first step and you'll soon be wondering why you didn't do it years ago so go on you can do it!!!!
Mary x

I also have depression and take Citalopram. Its helped me masses. It didn't bother me taking meds as long as I felt better!

Hi Mary and funky mum

Ill see what the doctor says tommorow but going to have to give the medication a try. Found out the prescription for the antidepressants today that I was given sometime ago so will collect them tommorow. No doubt the doctor will question why I havnt already taken them.

Hi funky munky, thanks for asking how I got on today.

I couldnt have blood test today as no one there to do it so going to walk in dept at the hospital hopefully on monday so can get it over and done with.

Got to have a fasting glucose test, check for glandular fever, anaemia, thyroid function, ferritin, serum folate, lipids(dont know what they are) they are also going do a full blood count.

I reckon by the time theyve taken all that blood ill be a couple of pounds lighter.

oh and the doctor found white blood cells in my urine sample which is a bit worrying hence why shes doing a full blood count aswell.

Just made the mistake of googling it and wish I hadnt now x

Well how's our diabetes defeaters? I haven't ate cheese for one week today. I am so pleased as I only managed to cut it out for three weeks before in 26 years!!

ETA: I've cut out all forms of cheese (it's in loads of foods) so no pizza, lasagne, cheese spread, soft cheese etc.

That's good Lynn, well done on the cheese!

i'm ok, trying to do well on the food front and exercising (swimming and aqua/or aqua aerobics every day)so hope to see my bg's come down.

Just a quick question, when you have FBG doen at the doctors, how many hours do you have to fast? At my gp's it is 14 hours, which seems a long time.

That's good Lynn, well done on the cheese!

i'm ok, trying to do well on the food front and exercising (swimming and aqua/or aqua aerobics every day)so hope to see my bg's come down.

Just a quick question, when you have FBG doen at the doctors, how many hours do you have to fast? At my gp's it is 14 hours, which seems a long time.

Thanks Barb. When I'd mine done I was told to fast from 10pm the night before, appt was 12 hrs later roughly.

So am I fasting too long then, at 14 hours, could that effect the FBG by making my body panic and release glucose? I do wonder about my gp tbh!

My GP has put me on Metformin (boy does it mess with your guts at first), but for some reason both he, and the diabetic nurse haven't told me my levels until after I attend the hospital for tests. Apparently this is the way they do things when someone my age and younger is diagnosed. Apart from this I have been pleasantly surprised at how in depth the consultations thus far have been. I've read some absolute horror stories about poor support from GPs.

Maybe my Diabetes isn't that bad, I was told my my doctor to have three 500mg of metformin a day, I have been on a Very Low Calorie Diet for three weeks, have lost 16lbs and haven't had my medication as my blood levels don't appear to be getting that high, my fasting blood was 4.2 this morning. I was concerned one morning when it was 3.9.

I'm fluctuating between pure shakes some days to one shake and two low carb meals other days, so far it appears to be working!! Only another 61lbs to go until I'm normal (whatever that is :))

That sounds amazingly low FBG - makes you wonder about the diagnosis in the first place!

Well done on the weight loss, that must have made a big difference to you already. You are clearly doing very well without the meds, I guess with them you would be practically hypoing!

I'm going to keep it up as long as I can, I must admit I do fancy a good curry now and again!! But I just grit my teeth and eat my healthy meal. My goal is to be in the normal range by christmas, I figure if I can lose 2lbs a week, and I'm hoping to lose more than that I should be 36lb's lighter (if my math is correct) which will put me at around the 14 stone mark, and I have a big frame anyway, so I'm hoping I will be pretty slim by then!! I am officially the slimest I have been since school at the moment though and I'm really proud of myself!!

Anyone else hoping to have a christmas where they don't feel guilty?

Hi Everyone just found your thread, Only been a type 2 last year, been boarder line for 10yrs, hubby became disabled last year and it tipped me over the edge, cant get my head round it, I am on 4 x 500mg metformin tablets, went to the hospital today for my results they said mine was 6.7 came down from 9.2 which was my last test, they gave me a machine today to start checking my sugar levels, do I have to test everyday and whens the best time, I started sw and exercising 7wks ago and lost 18.5lb so far, they told me to keep it up because its helping my sugar levels to come down. x

Well I'm no expert but I think before bed and first thing is good and also two hours after eating, this will give you an idea of which foods put your bg's up and which don't. Well done on the weight loss, that is definitely key.

Well I'm no expert but I think before bed and first thing is good and also two hours after eating, this will give you an idea of which foods put your bg's up and which don't. Well done on the weight loss, that is definitely key.

Thanks Barb, never done this before, going to try tonight before bed see how it works.

Jane x

Back