Type one diabetes weight loss struggle

RachyMachy

Hi everyone

I posted something on another forum before I realised there was actually a diabetes forum.

I was wondering if any other insulin dependant diabetics struggles with losing weight. I found out just over a year ago that I was a type one diabetic and as soon as I was put on insulin my weight went crazy. I have been told that because I'm on insulin it will be harder to lose weight but does it get any easier?

Ive been doing slimming world with a couple of friends and the weight is just falling off them and I seem to get a bit stuck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Rachel,

I am also a Type 1 diabetic and have been following Slimming World since August 2011 and have lost 3 and a half stone so far, would have been more but I have been on and off plan since Christmas. When I stick to the plan 100% I lose well and have only had STS and gains on weeks I've not been on plan properly x

I'm type 1 too (31 years this month!)
i lost just under 2.5 stone to get to target, took me a year. Generally my weight losses are slow but steady.
which plan are you doing? I now mostly do EE with the odd green day thrown in. I never do red, I need my carbs!
My insulin amounts really drop the closer I get to target and of course less insulin does help the weight loss.

The main reason why its so hard to loose weight as a diabetic is all down to the insulin .... the more insulin you need, the more your body will store ..... dieticians try n advise everyone to eat a low g.i diet purely because it releases less insulin (in people non diabetic) which is totally the same for us ..... so if you switched to low g.i (such a wholemeal bread for white, wholemeal pasta for white etc etc) you should be needing less insulin, feeling fuller for longer and able to loose weight ..... its worked for me, as i switched to an insulin pump this year, my weight was stuck and since ive had the pump (took less insulin) ive lost another half a stone xx

Once you have your insulin sorted, your body will be the same as everyone else and it will be easier to lose!
My struggle was taking too much insulin and going into hypos, then having chocolate etc to sort myself out.

You've just got to remember you're not alone! X

In the same boat as you, but finding little things making a difference. Not asking you to answer on here, but for me, personally, a big problem was the implant (same hormone as the pill) was causing me to be much more resistant to insulin. So i neeeded tons more to bring my sugars down.

We will lose weight slower than non insulin users, but slow and steady wins the race ;)

I know a lot of T1's do low carbing, not to the extent of Atkins or anything, but reducing the amount of carbs of course, means you are taking less insulin, and if you are keeping low fat (main difference betweeen diabetic low carbing and atkins) then you dont have issues with ketones, and can still lose smoe weight.

Obviuosly a lot of SW is high carbs, but replacing some of your carbs (rice, pasta and potatoes) with even more Superfree can help massvely! Eg, Cauliflower is almost no carb, and the low carbers use it to make rice and mash! (google the recipes). And all the legumes, beans and pulses etc are low GI, so you need only a little insulin for these :)

As for treating a hypo - 3 jelly babies works! I promise you, it really does!!! I know your body doesnt believe it, but 3 jelly babies is sufficient, then stop!..... soooo much easier said than done tho! :p

Back