UmmZakaria's Open & Honest Diary

naz said:
Hey umm good to have you back!! I'm hoping The fasting month will help me sort my head out too! Just been eating anything and everything at the mo :( xxx

Aww it's nice to be missed lol! We can support each other during Ramadan - I'm going to try weekly meal planning, I have told dh that he's not allowed cravings, if he wants something then it has to be on the list lol!

Don't beat yourself up, the coming month will definitely help us keep our heads xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Glad to hear that things are progressing well. Have you had a look at some of the beck diet books that seems to be auseful way to look at eating more normally also there is a fab ap by Linda Spangle that is good to have on your phone and work through.

Keep up the good work xx

Clarabow said:
Glad to hear that things are progressing well. Have you had a look at some of the beck diet books that seems to be auseful way to look at eating more normally also there is a fab ap by Linda Spangle that is good to have on your phone and work through.

Keep up the good work xx

I've heard a lot about the beck book so will definitely give that a look in. Will check out the Linda Spangle app now - thanks for the recommendation x

Sounds like it's all going well for you which is great news xx

How r u umm? Looking forward to the fasting month really will give me a chance to reflect on all the junk I have been feeding my body lol xxx

I can't believe that I am finally updating my diary as a Management Client! LOL

I'm completely out of the loop at the moment but have just been trying to have a little catch up.

I finished RTM a couple of weeks ago so am now "maintaining" my weight. It's Ramadan at the moment so have been fasting for the last week - this has been a bit of a balancing act weight wise as I started off quite scared and think I probably wasn't eating quite enough as I dropped 6lbs in 6 days so I introduced a bit of sugar and some bagels (any excuse eh?) When I was doing LLT I had a real issue with my periods whereby I spent most of the 11 weeks on which was a bit of a misery. As soon as I started RTM and reintroduced food things seemed to stablise a bit (to a 2-3 week long cycle... still not ideal) but now that I've been fasting things seem to have gone a bit haywire again... which means that I can't fast :( I think dropping so many pounds so quickly again has made my hormones go a bit potty so once this few days of non fasting is over I think I need to make sure I up my calories a bit. It just seems to go against the grain of everything I've learned this year to eat things that are high calorie but as it seems to be impossible to eat a lot quantity wise (as we aren't able to break fast until 8.45pm) I guess it's the best way to do it. I feel that in a way this month isn't really the start of my weight maintenance but that this will start properly once Ramadan is over. Hopefully my hormones will stabalise too as we are wanting to try for another baby in the new year God willing (it makes my eyes go a bit teary even typing that lol)!!!

My C25K training has been put on hold but I will be starting back on it as soon as Ramadan is over in the hope that I can get into a regular routine of going out for a jog 2-3 times a week. I think that exercise is going to be key to maintaining my weight and i want to get into a proper healthy routine before getting pregnant (God Willing) as I am absolutely determined that having a baby won't make me pile the weight on. A friend of mine did LL a year or so ago and has just had a baby and managed her weight amazingly during her pregnancy. I have no intention of being silly about it and it makes me so sad to see it when pregnant ladies obsess about their weight and don't put much on but there's a difference between a 2-3 stone and a 6 stone gain. Let's hope this attitude lasts.... ;)

Anyway, true to style I seem to rabbiting on about nothing in particular so I will stop as this post isn't going anywhere!! I hope that you're all well and I look forward to catching up on some more diaries xxx

How r u umm? Looking forward to the fasting month really will give me a chance to reflect on all the junk I have been feeding my body lol xxx

HEy Naz... how are things going?? xxx

Hey umm glad to hear from you! 6lbs in 6 days is amazing I wish that Happened to me! Ramadhan is going well, I try to make healthy choices but it's hard as the time for opening is so late and preparing for family well u dont have energy to make something healthy! So far I have lost 2kg which is rubbish I know. :( . But after opening my fast and prayer I do my 30 day shred DVD I am totally shattered by the end of it and after having loads of water I can't eat at sahoor ( this is the early morning meal) so I fast on a empty stomach. But I'm no where near losing tje amount u are! Please pray for me I don't want to lose weight just to look good I want to lose it for y health too! I want to be able to run around with my 3 children and not be exhausted with half and hour of play with them! Tkcre xxx

Hi Umm
Good to see an upbeat post from you I've been wondering how you're doing.
Sounds a bit of a challenge for you and Naz managing weight issues through Ramadan.
Great to see that you hope to try for another baby (Insha'Allah) some issues must be resolved!
Be careful with the exercising while on low calories.
Don't forget to come back and keep in touch.
Good luck xx

Lovely to see you posting. Will talk more when less late xx

naz said:
Hey umm glad to hear from you! 6lbs in 6 days is amazing I wish that Happened to me! Ramadhan is going well, I try to make healthy choices but it's hard as the time for opening is so late and preparing for family well u dont have energy to make something healthy! So far I have lost 2kg which is rubbish I know. :( . But after opening my fast and prayer I do my 30 day shred DVD I am totally shattered by the end of it and after having loads of water I can't eat at sahoor ( this is the early morning meal) so I fast on a empty stomach. But I'm no where near losing tje amount u are! Please pray for me I don't want to lose weight just to look good I want to lose it for y health too! I want to be able to run around with my 3 children and not be exhausted with half and hour of play with them! Tkcre xxx

Blimey Naz - I cant believe you're exercising as well as fasting? HVe you managed to keep that up? Take it easy Hun xxxx

Hey umm yes I'm still doing my 30 day shred once I open my fast! I'm used to it now I think lol some days I have to really push myself but so far so good! Xx

Hi Umm and Naz, I hope your fasting goes well. It must be so difficult and you are both doing so well xx

So, just a quick update! I've been a bit at sea since the end of Ramadan, one day of "indulgence" turned into two and then I was on the slippery slope of going back to all my old ways. Crooked thinking kicked in majorly; because all my size 12 clothes still fitted I didnt see the problem, I avoided the scales and within 1 WEEK (!!) I'd put on 8lbs shooting me from 12st 2 to 12st 10. I decided to do the Dukan Diet but ditched it after 3 days as I felt like I was going to die. I felt so ill it was unbelievable so despite losing 4lbs I stopped it. I then had a few days of silliness and not being careful and needless to say, I put on the 4lbs I had lost plus another 4 putting me up to 13stone. I felt so out of control, and I felt so silly for trying and failing at another "diet", I was so scared that I was slipping into that pattern of binging and yo yo dieting. I don't think I have ever, ever been so aware of how out of control I was and felt (which I suppose is a bit silly in hindsight as to realise I was out of control suggests some element of control??) I spent last Friday in floods of tears so sent an SOS email to my LLC who called me straight back and calmed me down. I went in to a pop in on the Saturday morning and she spent a long time with me going through all my fears, where I was going wrong and helping me decide what I needed to do. She told me to forget the idea of getting into ketosis and reassured me that I'd learned enough over RTM to claw things back. So I'm pleased to report that after a few days I'm back down to 12st 10lbs and am feeling a lot calmer and in control.

I am trying to follow the food choices of weeks 3 and 4 of RTM and I've bought some bars for my breakfast (my suggestion). Breakfast is a real problem area for me and quite often making the wrong decision at breakfast time can trigger me to eat like a plonker for the rest of the day. It's working so far so I'm going to get myself another 7 bars for next week, I feel a bit of a failure in the fact that I'm having to resort to any packs at all but starting the day with them seems to trigger my brain into thinking that I need to stay in control.

So anyway, we are off to Algeria in 4 weeks time to spend 10 days with the family so I am using that as something to aim for, not necessarily to get down to 12st but to shift the majority of the weight that I have put on. I've already decided that I'm going to take a bar with me for every day as Algerian breakfast consists of sweets and cakes.

I absolutely refuse to fail at this, I am so proud of myself for losing the weight since February and I really, truly hope that this blip can be sorted out and that I will actually learn something from it. I literally haven't had any days of actually "maintaining" my weight in a normal way since finishing RTM. I finished RTM a few days in to Ramadan, a month of fasting kept me in check and then suddenly I was thrown into the "real" world and I couldn't cope.

So anyway, I'm back and I'm going to be updating on here quite a bit as it helps me keep on track. The tears have stopped. Happy Friday everyone xxx

Well done Umm. I would say you are showing a lot of control at the moment. I know how hard you worked at this and what an achievement it is for you.
As with so many of us, if we get into a routine with maintenance we are fine, just something to throw us off kilter and we lose it so easily. Lots of people will relate to that.
There as been quite a bit of debate on here recently about people
allowing themselves planned lapses for birthdays and other special occasions. Those of us who have been around LL for a while have mostly said "DON'T! " it's not worth the risk.
Good luck when you go tot visit your family in Algeria. I've been there.
That'll be tough. They'll all want to give you delicious sweetmeats and dates and yummy things to fatten you up - you'll have to give them to Zak when the Aunties aren't looking!!!!
Don't forget to come back to us when you come back to UK. xx

Happier Friday to you too Umm, seems like you are getting it sorted and back in control. I really empathise with you, I am just about ready for RTM and some of my fears are exactly what happened to you. Since my return from Hols it's been really hard to get back on track, but do you know what? We are smart and intelligent woman who when we are focused and determined can achieve anything! So, you have identified the problem, now you are dealing with it. You are not a failure, this may have been a wake up call to keep you alert and aware we have to always be on guard, for the rest of our lives, none of us want to go back to the old us.
The bars idea is great, if you can start off in control daily, that will get you brain in the right place, at least till you come back from holiday.
You have done brilliantly, so don't give yourself a hard time, put it behind you, but a little reminder to keep you on track, for life!
You know you can do it, and we are here anytime.
Jx

Lovely to hear from you. Keep fighting the good fight. x

Poor week this week, through choice! DOH ! Visitors and a weeks holiday, bad combination. Back to healthy eating plan next week. Head is in a good place though. :)

Back