Undecided: Which diets have you tried and what did you think?

Some veggies requiire more calories to chew, swallow, digest and excrete :)o )

Personally, I'm not a great believer in that theory;) I've also done all the diets out there, but I think I'd rather have a variety of whatever veg I want and count them, than be limited to the free ones and have to count others.

Though I don't usually count anything any more...just thought I'd check up and my 174 calories was a portion of peas, one mini cob, swede and carrots.

Nice lot of colour, protein, carbs and fibre :)

I have done the free food diets and been successful on them to a point, but I rarely felt I was eating 'normally'.

Having to count my veg with WLR didn't discourage me from eating them. I could fill my plate for relatively few calories....albeit 174 of them.

There is a diet out called the negative calorie diet....weeks of eating celery...mmmm....nice
I did that one once. Didn't last long though :D

Sadly that's a myth :(

It's true. Not all veg, but certainly Celery, Celeriac and Watercress.

Not sure on the maths but the science adds up! It's like the old wives tale about being cold and shivery burns more calories...it's true! It takes 1 kcal to raise a single hair on your body.

Karion, I quite like the WLR attitude to dieting. Again, good old science comes into play....calories in>calories out =weight gain. calories in<calories out = weight loss.

See - the exact reason to opt for CD, LT or whatever food replacement diet - takes all this portion control hassle, what has what calories and whether you can poo more calories than you digest, out of the equation :D
It will be a long time before i have to worry about relearning correct eating habits to maintain - will tackle that bit when i get there ;)

I'm nosing round at other diets cos I'm growing alarmingly at the moment and not allowed to return to SS like LT or CD for at least another month. Wondering what other diets others have tried? What did you think and how did you get on? A good collection of info here could help others decide what to try too.

I may be hoping for a miracle.... but using the fitbug diet-bit I'm sticking to the calories they say and growing!!! So I need something different. Tried SW in January and it frustrated me that my fav breads weren't allowed... even granary and multi-seed which I always thought as of healthy? I do need something that will work out for me how I'm doing... but with plenty of choice. I hate the sort that tells you what to eat when! I find it helpful if I can input and save my recipes too as I love cooking. I also love fruit now... since doing LT and CD last year changed my tastebuds. I think GI restricts fruit but I'm not sure? Also we do enjoy eating out once a week. Hmmmm.... Sorry to make it so complicated... it does look like I want miracles doesn't it? If there was something that fitted the bill that I could stick to for life.......?
Hi Lesley

I think from what you say here that actually the GI diet would be ideal for you...

First off it doesn't restrict all fruit, in fact most fruit is allowed, the only ones that you are not allowed whilst dieting are watermelons and bananas - 90% of other fruit is allowed and you are actively encouraged to eat it!

Wholemeal granary bread is allowed, portions are restricted but you can eat it.

As for eating out curries are relitively low gi, as long as you have chicken/veg ones that are on the spicy side (less sweet or buttery ones). And loads of restaurants will feed you meals of meat/fish, veg and potatoes (should be new or have more veggies instead).

I suggest you check out Rick Gallops GI Diet book, there are few things to learn, but essentially whilst you are dieting you can only eat foods in the green column - simple!

Hope that helps,
Luv CC xx xx xx

There you go Lesley. All crystal clear now;)

All the diets are fab. Of course...there is the nuisance factor with all of them. You have to do them.

I think everyone will agree that the best diet is the one that is working for us at this present time.

You could try them all at once;) Great meal combinations :D

Oooooh let me think .......! :D

I lost 2 stone on SW (but didn't keep it off!)
I lost the same 2 stone on WW (same happened!)
Detox
Raw vegan
Calorie counting
Very low calorie
Magazine diets
Rosemary Conley
Slimfast

and more than that. I have been dieting forever!

I'm now doing Paul McKenna and Beyond Chocolate.

But if I had to choose a diet of preference then I would choose Slimming World. It did work but as soon as I started eating normally the weight piled back on, plus an extra stone. But if you can do a diet and stick to it, then my suggestion is Slimming World.

Good luck. :)

Hi Janey

I've never heard of the Raw Vegan? What did it entail....or is it basically raw veg?

How are you finding the Paul McKenna method? I looked into this ages ago, but wasn't too hopeful. I read that you should chew each mouthful 20 times (I think) and that put me off, I tend to wolf my food down :D

You could try them all at once;) Great meal combinations :D

:eat:

Yum, imagine...the butter and cheese from Atkins; the pasta, rice & potatoes from sw; the bread, cereal and milk from jigsaw; and the wine and choccy treats from ww!

Now that's what I call the PERFECT diet :D

LOL @ Frumpster! Perfect for growth more like!!

Karen: Naturally crystal clear! natural crystal is NOT clear so that fits perfectly. Sure got a lot to think about and more info that has to help.

Janey: Raw vegan sounds way too difficult so you must have some determination to have tried that!

Curvy: You've suprised me there... Wonder if they'll have that GI book in the library? Would be good to go have a read for a half hour before deciding to buy... (on SSP so have to spend careful for now)

Pmk method I tried.... but ended up comfort eating anyway so that got dangerous. I still have the books for if I ever get my head right to try again... but not the right time now. Need serious weightloss first.

Think a plan for monday will be go library and nosy at GI books... That would be helpfull for OH too as he's diabetic (and well overweight!)

This thread has definatly been an education and I'm very gratefull to everyone for they're input.... Thank you big time!!!!

The Diet Plate - Portion Control & Healthy Eating - Balanced Diet Plates

I have sat and read through this post with interest as have been there and done that diet sydrome going on in this household!! has anybody thought about trying the diet plate I have posted a link, It is meant to help control portion sizes by splitting up the plate into Carb/protein & free sections, they have a male & a female plate so relevent for calarie intake depending if lady or man!:D.

Back