Extra Easy Underactive thyroid and SW anyone had major success?

Chubbylass

My thyroid has been underactive for about 10 years, but I was only put on meds when I could barely walk and function!! My thyroxine has once again been lowered to what the docs call 'a maintenance dose'! My chemist said the reason my weight was continuing to rise was because of the low dose I'm on. I'm doing SW and have lost a stone, but I'm not feeling 100%. Has anyone with an underactive thyroid had major success with SW, and were your meds reduced as a result? I can't say anything to my Dr cos he said they might take the thyroxine from me completely as government guide
lines have changed as to when to prescribe meds and I should think myself lucky to still be on thyroxine :eek: x

I can't help on a personal level, but my work colleague suffers with thyroid problems and also follows EE. She had about 6 stone to lose at the start but only has about a stone and a half left to go. She started SW back last summer so she has done really well. I'm not sure about her meds - will ask her next week for you.

Don't give up though if you follow EE at the worst your losses will be small and slow, but what will happen if you don't follow it? If it was me I would be messing around eating rubbish and pitting weight on which makes everything harder!

Good luck and hope you get the answers you need x

Hi, I do sw and am on thyroid meds. I am on a really high dose (275mg) and have been for several years. I have lost nearly 9st so it's certainly doable but my levels are about right. I'm sure it would be harder if I were not in the 'normal range'. As for have I been able to reduce my dose, the answer is no. I had a retest only a few weeks ago as I havent been done since I started losing weight. I really expected them to drop my dose as I have lost so much weight I assumed I'd be able to reduce my dose, but apparently not. Or at least not yet (I still have several stone to lose). Not sure if this helps at all. What were your levels like when you were last tested?

I've had borderline under active thyroid since I was 14, but only prescribed Levo in the past year as it's gradually got worse and I had a few health problems that they weren't sure what it was so stuck me on them to see if it had an affect.

I'm quite worried about what you said you've had to put up with from your Dr, I mean what are they playing at! Clearly if you could barely function without it and if your blood tests show it is low then this rings warning bells to me. If you need the medication to help you function then you shouldn't have the worry of it being taken from you.

It takes a while to get the dose right, I'm not sure how to explain it but my GP said taking a small amount can lower your thyroid and it some times it needs to be increased/deceased until it works in your favour.

I don't know what the changes in prescribing medication are but I only went a few weeks ago and they changed mine with no problems. Did he explain to you what was changing?

I would seriously think about asking to see a different Dr to get another opinion.

Back