Underactive Thyroid and weightloss

Rapunzel

Hey, I have hypothyroidism and wanted to know if anyone else who has the condition feels that it effects their weightloss? And if so, is there anything that can be done about it (besides taking the thyroxine everyday obv)....like taking certain supplements, changing diets or certain excersizes?

Hey, I have hypothyroidism and wanted to know if anyone else who has the condition feels that it effects their weightloss? And if so, is there anything that can be done about it (besides taking the thyroxine everyday obv)....like taking certain supplements, changing diets or certain excersizes?

If you are taking thyroxine, then you are replacing what is missing....hence you're back to 'normal' again...albeit having to take medication for it.

Shouldn't make any difference compared to someone without a thyroid problem.

I have an underactive thyroid BTW. Treated...still underactive though :D Still lost weight :clap:

My mom has Hashimoto's.. which is sort of like hypothyroid, but it's more like her body attacks her thyroid. She has always had trouble loosing significant amount of weight, even when on meds for it. But she did do fairly well at one point with a low carb diet.

LR

My mom has Hashimoto's.. which is sort of like hypothyroid, but it's more like her body attacks her thyroid. She has always had trouble loosing significant amount of weight, even when on meds for it. But she did do fairly well at one point with a low carb diet.

LR

Mines Hashimotos. Only mentioned that because you rarely hear of people with the same condition.

I have hypo thyroid as well but haven't had any problem losing weight.

I don't think there's any reason for it to affect it unless you are on the wrong dose. IE too much and losing more weight than you should be or not enough and not losing as much as you should be.

If you're on the right dose then you won't have the increased appetite from the body craving energy with it's functions slowing. And you won't be burning any more or less calories than you would have actually burned off were your own thyroid gland working correctly. As the Thyroxine is just a replacement therapy. The dose is set at a level to make it do exactly what your thyroid gland would have done.

Last edited:
Hiya,

I`m also underactive and DO have trouble losing weight :(

My sister is the same :( I think it just varies from person to person.

I am getting mine checked on Weds as I`m 2 yrs overdue :eek: Dunno how that happened as I`m usually on the ball!

LiSe x

I've just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I am getting treatment now but have lost 100 pounds before diagnosis. It was a struggle though!

Every diet causes your metabolism to slow down temporarily by about 15% (so I am told). I found that when I go on a diet mine slows down by much more. By my 5th month on Cambridge 600 cals I only lost 4 pounds (average is 14).

But when I eat more I lose for a week or two then start putting on again.

I'm hoping the treatment will help plus my doctor has put me on a higher protein diet. Also he wants me to eat my biggest meal at lunchtime.

I don't know if this will help but might be worth trying.

I have an underactive thyroid and always struggle to lose weight. The reality is that most of us have a low metabolism - and even though we take thyroxin - it is still a struggle. I have always gained weight REALLY easily and fought to lose weight. It isn't fun!

Do you think a higher protein diet helps? I've been struggling to get my protein high and am wondering if it matters.

I have an underactive thyroid and always struggle to lose weight. The reality is that most of us have a low metabolism - and even though we take thyroxin - it is still a struggle. I have always gained weight REALLY easily and fought to lose weight. It isn't fun!

I'm exactly the same, have mince checked every 6mths so know i'm on the right dose. still hard to get the weight off even with exercise and healthy eating i struggle to get any off.

yes I get mine checked every year to make sure I'm on the right dose. Was every six weeks at one point. Only funny thing - didn't take the thyroxine for years when I was in my 20s - felt fine and was at my thinnest for most of that time....bizarre!

Hi I have struggled with my weight for a long time and have an under active thyroid too.

I get my checked and seem to be on the right doze now 150mg but it still has not helped me with my weight loss. So on CD started today again ..... fingers crossed. :wave_cry:

I also have an underactive thyroid and really struggle with loosing the weight by normal eating. The only way i can loose the weight is through CD. But obviously everyone's different and what works for one person doesn't neccessary work for someone else. x

Back