Underactive Thyroid

Sweethearts

Gold Member
Hello, I'm basically posting this because after googling numerous things on the subject of underactie thyroids, I've came to the conclusion that each website is telling me different things! I finally decided to get off my bum and make an appointment to see the doctor(which is tomorrow) about my constant tiredness/unexplained weight gain over the past few years/feeling depressed/lack of interest in the bedroom... etc. I am pretty convinced I have an underactive thyroid but don't want to think into it too much just yet but I do have about 90% of the symptoms. It runs in my family and my grandma and mum both have it. Does anyone here have the same thyroid and could tell me more about it so I know what to expect? I am currently doing Slimming World and I am worried that I will gain all my weight I have lost back on again!

Linz x

the old method of testing for low thyroid is basal temperature testing.
Some would say it's more reliable that blood tests as the references ranges aren't the same in the diff health authorities
it can be a useful indicator alongside other factors
Thyroid UK - The Basal temperature Test

i have low thyroid as well as other health probs.
My meds were cut back drastically a few years ago and since then weight probs have returned. There's quite a lot of debate about treating low thyroid.

Hi

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 7 years ago now. I was constantly at the doctors with Insomnia, stomach problems, period problems, depressions etc etc etc. The doctor pretty much got sick of me going so gave me a full MOT on bloodworks. this detected my thyroid hormone were low. I was immediately put on 50mcg of Levothyroxine and saw an improvement within weeks.
But since then I have had to return over the years and have my thyroxine increased. I am now on the average dosage of 150mcg.
I have just recently started with the symptoms again and been for another full bloodworks on Wednesday this week. Also since being diagnosed I have gained 2.5 stone in weight, which I am finding extremely difficult to lose! I'm kinda of doing slimming world, low carb/gluten (due to IBS) and exercise! My weight can fluctuate between 7 lbs in days! It's so frustrating!

Hope you get your answers and any questions please don't hesitate to ask me!

xx

Back