University and how to cope!

Hiya I am doing Nursing at Teesside at the moment - i am a mature student so don't go out and do the social side of uni life much but i agree that there are lots of activities on campus and that usually the gym is pretty well priced.
Congratulations on getting your place!

I'm a college student as well and I don't drink, only water and juices, but I have a lot of fun, I dance a lot when I went out (good exercise too) and nobody treats me differently because I don't drink. My friends respect my choice because I really enjoy everything as much as them (or even more because I don't wake up sick the next day) and I can easilly look more drunk than them just drinking water, lol.
Usually universities also have a gym at a low price, so enjoy it too;)
About the eating part, i eat "less healthy food" when I went out with friends because I would never be rude and decline when I'm invited to dinner at friends home; so, I make sure everything I buy to eat and cook at my place is healthy to balance things;)

I'm a college student as well and I don't drink, only water and juices, but I have a lot of fun, I dance a lot when I went out (good exercise too) and nobody treats me differently because I don't drink. My friends respect my choice because I really enjoy everything as much as them (or even more because I don't wake up sick the next day) and I can easilly look more drunk than them just drinking water, lol.
Usually universities also have a gym at a low price, so enjoy it too;)
About the eating part, i eat "less healthy food" when I went out with friends because I would never be rude and decline when I'm invited to dinner at friends home; so, I make sure everything I buy to eat and cook at my place is healthy to balance things;)

Sounds like you've got the right idea. Well done and good luck.

xx

i actually first lost weight at uni, normally went out once a week and spent lots of time at the gym. also ate lots of soup and stir frys/salad!

I'm sort of in the same situation.

My plan Alcohol-Wise?

Tell whoever you're with you'll be the designated driver/ or that you'll stay sober to make sure they get home safe and sound. You'll avoid the cals, plus look like a super nice person. Woo. Ahahaa.

To be honest, I don't really drink, full stop, but it's always nice to have an excuse to pull out of the bag :D

Aline seems to have the right ideas here though =]

My problem is not so much that I am worried what people think - I am not bothered about that. But, although I am quite confident, when it coms to dancing in a club or something, I NEED to be drunk! I know that is awful, and I assume it is because of my insecurity about myself at the moment (althouh hopefully thats changing!!). So, I don't want to go out and feel I have to drink in order to be able to dance.

i've always been the same, but then thought everyone else is wasted so they aint gonna be looking at me dancing!

My problem is not so much that I am worried what people think - I am not bothered about that. But, although I am quite confident, when it coms to dancing in a club or something, I NEED to be drunk! I know that is awful, and I assume it is because of my insecurity about myself at the moment (althouh hopefully thats changing!!). So, I don't want to go out and feel I have to drink in order to be able to dance.

I know it helps to be drunk when in a club to get up and dance but everyone else will be so plastered themselves, they won't even be looking at you. And if your dancing is that bad, pretend to be taking the piss out of them or that you're drunk. I wouldn't worry too much...they won't remember the following day!

xx

Hi everyone!

So I have literally just 5 minutes ago been accepted to university - very happy! I'll be going in September and can't wait.

However... I am worried about it! I intend to have lost a lot of weight by then, however I am sure I will still have lots to lose.

I will obviously be on a budget, so does anyone know of any good, cheap, low calorie foods?

Also, so scared of all of the nights out and drinking and how I will cope! I know it should be easy to say no, or to have sober nights, but I am sure everyone realises that it isn't that simple, and I don't want to become known as the boring one!

This is a huge motivation for me now - want to be able to go to uni slim and confident, wearing nice clothes and able to wear the multiple fancy dress clothes that I am sure I will have to!

Are there any uni students/freshers or just anyone who has any ideas of how to cope at uni?

Thanks

Sarah x

Been through this before and I understand what you mean about going out drinking lots, but you have other ways in which you can compensate.

As other people have mentioned there will be the chance to join a sports team and more often than not the uni gym will be at a discounted rate! (Mine was £25 a year!)

Also I think it can help depending on the people you meet - 3 of the girls i became really good friends with were a little too obsessed with their weight, but still - never felt strange for eating healthy now and then.

Just do what feels best for you and you will be fine. x

Here are my tips.

Don't deprive yourself of alcohol, it is a great help in the first few weeks when you are going out and you don't know many people. Like people have said stick to a clear spirit and diet mixer exclusively.
And don't have any greasy hangover food. Make sure you have plenty healthy food in for the next morning, or even 3 am when you get back. Leave left overs in the fridge.

I have always spent less on my food than people i live with as i don't buy ready meals or processed food. Cooking from scratch is so much cheaper. I know most people stay away from carbs but myself personally, as i'm on slimming world, pasta and rice is unlimited food. Sounds crazy if you havent done it but it does work. And it has helped me keep costs down in the supermarket. That and being vegetarian - meat is expensive!

Now if you say you are good at main meals but it's the snacking you find difficult, well that just comes down to will power. Remember if you don't buy it you can't eat it. Maybe put an inspirational photo or message in your purse to help you say no. Never buy any snack items with the intention of making them last over a week or 2. You will eat them.
Don't binge buy and you can't binge eat.

All the best, enjoy it xxx

Hello, congradulations for getting into uni =)

I've just finished my first year, and trust me getting any order in your eating is really hard.. It will start off great but slowly go down hill as money runs out and you start doing exams and stuff. Eventually you will be buying what you can afford instead of whats good for you. With drinking, as people have said a cheap 35cl bottle of vodka and a bottle of sugar-free lemonade before you go out (not suggesting to drink all of it..) will be enough to get you pretty tipsy and only need to buy one or two drinks while your actually out. If you like to have a drink go ahead and do it as it is quite a bit part of the uni lifestyle (well it was in my first year [Also not saying you will miss out if you dont drink, as there is lots of people who dont]), make the most of your first term as the workload gets bigger in the second and the third isnt worth mentioning due to exams! (just finishing mine now and I havent seen any of my flat mates in days as im constantly revising).

Also try and stay away from the end of night kebab :jelous: and the early morning hangover cure. I would also advise to stay away from mid-week dominoes 2-4-1, you will start with the mindset not to have one, but when the rest of your flat decides to order one you might be tempted to give in as its just easier :).

Lose as much weight as you can now and just try to watch the small things in your first term (like take-aways), maybe then in the second and third you can try to put together some sort of healthy eating (If you have money left of course).

Anyways all the best with uni :D

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

I have started going out and not drinking - have had two nights so far - and I really enjoy it actually and haven't been tempted to drink! I have had just as much fun, and have danced all night, and no-one even realised I wasn't drinking until I told them later.

When I get to uni at least I now know that I can enjoy myself without alcohol, and so I will make an effort to not drink on every night out.

Foodwise, I have never really had takeaways, or the end of night takeaway either, so I think I should be OK with that. I am fairly sensible with money and I know what I like to eat at the moment and it is within budget, so the main problem is losing my motivation now!!

Ive just recently finished my first year at uni.. and it really did not do my figure any justice. I put on a lot of weight, mainly through drinking! and the drinking was not in moderation! lol. Id say just be aware of what your drinking ( its going to happen! ) and eat healthily ( which again i kind of skipped on due to lack of money and effort!). Im paying for the mistakes that i made now... and am drastically trying to loose weight, and will have to be careful when i go back to uni! :)

I just thought I would update this in case anyone was interested?!

I ended up losing about 3 stone before I got to uni. I became so much more confident! I made loads of friends, and I managed to eat healthily most of the time. I had a few binges - I lived above a Tescos and it was too easy to go and grab some choccie!

I found that by being god with my food most of the time, and buying an exercise bike to use when I could fit it in, I managed to maintain whilst at uni. Ideally I would have lost more weight, however with all of the nights out, and the adjustments to make what with living away, plus a month long holiday to Australia over Christmas, I think I did quite well!

I've done uni twice - the first time, I lost so much weight! I ate stir fries a lot (veg from the market is super cheap) and my portions were quite small. I allowed myself a burger and chips with my friends after going to a sports club on a Sunday - the weight came off without me really trying. Sadly, the second time around I was older and more into cooking, and then finals came round and I totally lost the plot - way too many takeaways! I ended up putting loads of weight on this time. I think the secret is to use fresh ingredients when you cook - my super-weight-loss recipe from the first time around was a whole load of veg (peppers, mange tout, spring onions, courgettes etc) stir-fried with soy sauce and ground ginger, sometimes with a bit of chicken if I could afford it. And if you don't have time to cook, try to use a low-calorie ready meal rather than phoning for a pizza. I wish I'd done that this time - I wouldn't have nearly so much to lose now!

But most importantly - have a great time at uni! I'm sure you'll love it :)

Back