University experts knowledge needed;

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
I was told today that if you go to Uni and have various loans. When you have finished, if you go abroad to work for five years then you will have your debts wiped out.
Can anyone confirm.x

As far as I know thats an urban myth, as if you think about it logically why would they give you money to study for you to not pay back simply because you are in another country. They may not take the money whilst you are abroad but you will have to pay it on your return

this link tells you the threshold for each country

Overseas Thresholds

that is disgusting. if my son earned 15k a year, he would have to pay 246 a month out of his wages, but on 15k he would only be taking around 950 a month. if he lives in Eastbourne still and has to travel to London for work, his train fare would be about £300 a month, therefore he would only have £250 a month to live on !!!

I don't think that table is quite right. I earn about 38k and only pay £169 a month in repayments.

I think it is calculated by taking 9% of any annual salary over £15,000 and then dividing by 12.

If your son is on 15k exactly he won't pay anything. If he is on say 17k he will pay 9% of (17k-15k) =180/12 = £15 per month. (Can you tell that my degree was in maths and accountancy!!)

HTH

Amy xx

The £246 in that table is what they would take if you didn't inform them of your actual income.

And by the looks of it if you do go to work abroad the threshold which you need to earn before payments are made could be lower so you might be paying more!

x

my son is good at maths and science. he needs to get at least 3 A grades in his A levels and then go to Loughborough Uni. Mind you he is only about to start his GCSE's next week.

This is one of those silly rumours that go around.
When you go abroad (I think for more than 3 months) you must, by law, tell the SLC where you have gone, and make the repayments yourself. If you don't, it's fraud, and if you return to the UK you will face a fine, and will have to stump up the whole fee in one go incase you bugger off again.

tara40 said:
my son is good at maths and science. he needs to get at least 3 A grades in his A levels and then go to Loughborough Uni. Mind you he is only about to start his GCSE's next week.
I was really good at languages at school & my dad had it all planned out for me. 3 a levels @ grade a. Cambridge to study modern languages (obtain a first of course:)) Job with the EU as a translator.
I got 3 b's @ a level ( none in any modern languages) , read politics @ york (2:1) & now sell software!!! Funny old world :)

Hope ur son does well in his exams x

that is disgusting. if my son earned 15k a year, he would have to pay 246 a month out of his wages, but on 15k he would only be taking around 950 a month. if he lives in Eastbourne still and has to travel to London for work, his train fare would be about £300 a month, therefore he would only have £250 a month to live on !!!

Pretty sure you pay 9% of your income over the threshold. So if your son ears £15500 per year, he pays 9% on the £500

Source:
Calculating Repayments

If you don't tell them, they take the average UK salary, double it, and take repayments on that basis.

Last edited:
Sorry, but it is an urban myth! You can inform SLC if you go abroad and defer payment but nothing gets wiped out! It's also payments over and above the £15k - not 9% of the total monthly salary! I would suggest looking at the SLC website to get the info you need xx

The £15k threshold is for those going now- its increasing to £20k i think as of nxt year to compensate for the increased tuition fees because there will be higher loans available.

Hey, I earn approx £23,500 and pay back £64 a month out of my wage.

Your liable for payments if you earn over 15000 right up to pension age. The amount would never be written off for leaving the country otherwise everybody would alope!

My brother has been abroad since gaining his degree, and never paid a penny. He may ahve to id he returns. But he never will. He now has aussie wife, and 2 aussie littluns.

If you son is currently doing his GCSE then by the time that he goes to university then he will be under the new fee structure. So that completely re-writes the rule book. Min repayment is if I recall is still 9% but you have to earn £21k or £23k before you repay.

The amount of debt gets wiped after 30 years if you haven't been able to repay it all within that time. If you are working abroad you have to inform the SLC and defer the loan until you are back earning in this country.

The amount of debt gets wiped after 30 years if you haven't been able to repay it all within that time. If you are working abroad you have to inform the SLC and defer the loan until you are back earning in this country.

It is very interesting, I was reading the white paper on the reforms, and under the current scheme around 15% of people have their debt written off because they haven't paid it back within 25 years.

Under the new fees, they estimate 50-60% of people will have their debt written off because they haven't paid it back in 30 years.

Oh well, no skin off the government's nose, they will have bundled and sold the debt a long time ago!

Lol, I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. Your son is only just doing his GCSEs. I wouldn't worry about uni fees, loans & repayments until he gets to that point. He has at least 2 years of more study before he needs to be thinking about that & there's no point putting pressure on him now.

My OH is making repayments on his student loan now but it's not much & he earns about £22k a year. I have some student loan but left midway through my degree because I decided it wasn't what I wanted & refused to waste more loans on something I wasn't going to pursue.

I think it's a little selfish to expect to learn in the UK & then bugger off for 5 years just so you don't have to repay your loans! If you borrow the money then you should be expected to pay it back! I'm glad it's just a rumour.

It is very interesting, I was reading the white paper on the reforms, and under the current scheme around 15% of people have their debt written off because they haven't paid it back within 25 years.

Under the new fees, they estimate 50-60% of people will have their debt written off because they haven't paid it back in 30 years.

Oh well, no skin off the government's nose, they will have bundled and sold the debt a long time ago!

I have somewhere a whole list of amounts a person earns and how much they pay back per month, how many years it takes them to pay it back or how much will get written off.

It's a wierd system, because as a university we would need to charge the full £9000 just to have the same money coming in to us as under the current system.

Also under the new scheme student actually pay back less a month, and will repay less if the just earn the average wage. It's only those that earn more will end up paying more.

It's a wierd system, because as a university we would need to charge the full £9000 just to have the same money coming in to us as under the current system.

Also under the new scheme student actually pay back less a month, and will repay less if the just earn the average wage. It's only those that earn more will end up paying more.

Agreed, I understand that most direct public funding for universities will go. And yes, students pay back less as they are paying 9% on earnings over a higher threshold, which is partially why more people will have it written off, and partially because they have higher debt.

Back