Update on the Ready Meals idea. More opinions pls!

SpaceAngel

I ate my willpower!
I know that some of you on here will have tried CD, where you pay a CDC for all your packs and then you have your food for a week. How would you feel about going to someone to buy some SW ready meals that have been home cooked and then frozen/chilled, so all you have to do is reheat them when you come home from work?

I am going to speak to my SW Consultant about how I would go about providing this service for SW members and the implications involved. I know that I would have to be inspected etc, and I am prepared to do that. But there isn't much point in taking it further if no-one would buy the meals etc. The average price would be something like £1.99 for a portion of veg curry and rice (green day) and I don't believe in skimping on my portions either!

Last edited:
Hi hun, I know SW trialled something like this themselves, try searching the threads, it was probably discussed about 4 months ago.
I work in the food industry (for the next 4 weeks anyway) and you have to jump through majorly high hoops. E.g. you'd have to do your labelling, specifications and allergen warnings etc.

There again, if you did it on a small scale and private then I'd brush over those bits.

I'm not sure if your SW consultant will be allowed to back it, but try just speaking to members in your group and asking if they'd like anything etc.

Good luck xxx

Hi hun, I know SW trialled something like this themselves, try searching the threads, it was probably discussed about 4 months ago.
I work in the food industry (for the next 4 weeks anyway) and you have to jump through majorly high hoops. E.g. you'd have to do your labelling, specifications and allergen warnings etc.

There again, if you did it on a small scale and private then I'd brush over those bits.

I'm not sure if your SW consultant will be allowed to back it, but try just speaking to members in your group and asking if they'd like anything etc.

Good luck xxx

If I was going to do it, it would be on a local scale. Just members of my group and any others in the area. My SWC is friends with all the other consultants in the area. It's more to help people as well as to make a bit of cash. I know that everyone at the meetings have loved the meals I bring in at taster evenings.

Don't fancy moving to Poole do you?

:p

Sx

I thought about doing this a couple of years back. I think its a fantastic idea and you should definitely approach your Consultant to get her feedback.
I just didnt have the time to pursue this, but good luck!!!

I know that some of you on here will have tried CD, where you pay a CDC for all your packs and then you have your food for a week. How would you feel about going to someone to buy some SW ready meals that have been home cooked and then frozen/chilled, so all you have to do is reheat them when you come home from work?

I am going to speak to my SW Consultant about how I would go about providing this service for SW members and the implications involved. I know that I would have to be inspected etc, and I am prepared to do that. But there isn't much point in taking it further if no-one would buy the meals etc. The average price would be something like £1.99 for a portion of veg curry and rice (green day) and I don't believe in skimping on my portions either!

I would def buy some if you lived in my area! Shame you don't really xx

Agree with this - I would buy too - how easy would that be! x

Thanks everyone! I will have to look into how easy it would be to have the meals transported/delivered. Maybe I could go to people Nationwide (but say through friends rather than advertising etc) I will let you know what my consultant says :D

That is a great idea, i would defo buy them if there was something like this in my area, i mean the butchers do it so i don't see why you can't look into it.

I emailed my consultant and she said that to state that it was SW friendly means I would need to send samples to SW Nutritional centre for them to test before they could give their "official" approval.

I am thinking of talking to a few of the members from my group and getting their opinions. All I can say is that they are in line with the SW plan but be very careful to say that they are not endorsed my SW or anything like that.

Id defo buy them from someone in my group, great idea and good luck x

I am a bit worried that I may get in trouble if I approach members of my group. I can't advertise it because I would have to mention Slimming World to get people to buy them. I will ask my consultant if she would mind me asking some members of the group if they would be interested.

hun why dont ya jus mention that ur thinkin of makin meals to provide to others and see if anyone asks anymore, without actually askin if they would like them, therefore if they ask ya cant get into trouble :)

xxx

That's a great idea. I think I will give that a go!

I have been giving this some more thought over the weekend. I am thinking of doing a lunch delivery service. You place your order in the morning and have your food delivered to your place of work at lunchtime. I would do SW "friendly" food like freshly made soups, lentil currys, salads, all sorts of things really. I think this would be a good way of helping people who struggle for lunchtime food.

If something like this was available in your area, would you use it?

On the stuff you were saying earlier in the thread... of course you can't say it is endorsed by Slimming World or approved by Slimming World in any way.

But I don't think there is anything wrong with saying 'healthy meals available, can be used on a variety of diets including Slimming World and Weight Watchers No Count'. Also, if you are talking to people it'd be fine to say 'for example, I'm on Slimming World where rice, quorn, vegetables, herbs and spices are free foods. So I can eat this quorn curry without worrying because all it contains is foods that are free on Slimming World'.

The difficulties only arise when you ask a Slimming World representative to endorse your food (they won't) or if you falsely claim it is approved/tested by Slimming World in any way.

It's just a food you are selling that happens to be free on Slimming World because of the particular ingredients in it. You probably get into hassle when you start getting into syns... Slimming World might argue that your food is not actually four syns (or whatever) cause they have not tested it or seen a lab test etc. If it's free, it's easy to say so. If it contains syns, you'd have to be careful of marketing as 'a four syn meal' or something. Your customers might see it as that... but you can't sell it as that, unless Slimming World have tested it. And I imagine that'd be very expensive.

I'd def buy something like this - especially if it could be delivered at a reasonable price. It would save me a lot of hassle!

On the stuff you were saying earlier in the thread... of course you can't say it is endorsed by Slimming World or approved by Slimming World in any way.

But I don't think there is anything wrong with saying 'healthy meals available, can be used on a variety of diets including Slimming World and Weight Watchers No Count'. Also, if you are talking to people it'd be fine to say 'for example, I'm on Slimming World where rice, quorn, vegetables, herbs and spices are free foods. So I can eat this quorn curry without worrying because all it contains is foods that are free on Slimming World'.

The difficulties only arise when you ask a Slimming World representative to endorse your food (they won't) or if you falsely claim it is approved/tested by Slimming World in any way.

It's just a food you are selling that happens to be free on Slimming World because of the particular ingredients in it. You probably get into hassle when you start getting into syns... Slimming World might argue that your food is not actually four syns (or whatever) cause they have not tested it or seen a lab test etc. If it's free, it's easy to say so. If it contains syns, you'd have to be careful of marketing as 'a four syn meal' or something. Your customers might see it as that... but you can't sell it as that, unless Slimming World have tested it. And I imagine that'd be very expensive.

I'd def buy something like this - especially if it could be delivered at a reasonable price. It would save me a lot of hassle!

That's exactly what I had in mind. I was going to speak to my consultant on Monday to make sure she doesn't mind me mention it in group. I don't want to pee her off! I am going to design some menus this week and then launch it. I have read all the hygenie implications and I know that I will have to register with Environmental Health which is fine!

Back